It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:53 am

Multi Channel Recording for surroundsound

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Ferry

Multi Channel Recording for surroundsound

PostTue Sep 19, 2023 3:17 pm

Hey all Hauptwerk Users,

I just came across the topic of dolby Atmos. Spatial Audio and Surround sound or how you want to call it. I think sample sets with more channels like close, front, mid and rear are perfekt for creating such a track. As far as I know Hauptwerk can only record stereo. Is there a way to route every sample set channel to a different output channel and record it with a daw? It is only recording so maybe there is a software solution out there, or do I need an Audio Device with 4 physical outgoing channels?
Maybe this idea does not work at all.

Thanks for your thoughts
Ferry

IainStinson

Re: Multi Channel Recording for surroundsound

PostTue Sep 19, 2023 6:48 pm

In HW 5+ Advanced edition, you can record any or all of the mixer buses (pg 229 in the HW8 manual). So if you have a simple front and rear surround sound set up you can record the front and rear as separate .wav files as well as recording a mix of both front and rear. There is a audio recording tick box on each mixer bus panel.
Iain

mdyde

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 4:25 am

Hello Ferry,

To add to Iain's reply:

Samples in Hauptwerk are recorded in stereo (or occasionally mono), but many sample sets have several stereo 'perspectives' (e.g. 'front', 'rear'), for each real rank. Such 'perspectives' appear as separate virtual 'ranks' on the rank settings and voicing screens.

In the Hauptwerk Advanced Edition, if you wish, you can:

- Route those virtual stereo ranks to different stereo pairs of audio output channels. See the two "Audio routing and impulse response reverb ..." chapters in the main Hauptwerk user guide for full details (pages 208-257 in the current v8.0 version: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/ ). For example, within the first of those two chapters, you could follow the step-by-step instructions in "Example 2: surround/3D sound output ..." (pages 221-225).

- The audio output channels from Hauptwerk could be physical audio output channel on a multi-output audio interface.

- Alternatively, those audio output channels could be VST/AU channels on Hauptwerk's 'VST Plug-in Link', which is simple VST plug-with 16 stereo output channels designed to allow you to route Hauptwerk's audio output easily to a DAW. For that, select the VST Plug-in Link as the audio output device on the "General settings | Audio device and channels" screen in Hauptwerk, load the VST plug-in (only one instance of it) within your DAW's project, and make sure your DAW's project is set to the same sample rate as Hauptwerk (typically 48kHz).

- As Iain mentioned, you could also record any of Hauptwerk's audio mixer buses if you wished.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Ferry

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 12:40 pm

Thanks a lot for your answer. This helps me.

mdyde

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 1:01 pm

Thanks, Ferry. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing