It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:57 am

USB Interface/Driver issues

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Ozykz

USB Interface/Driver issues

PostSat Dec 23, 2023 9:02 pm

Hello all!

Been dealing with an extremely frustrating issue that I have not yet been able to solve.

I am putting together a headless system for a church installation. It's a custom built rackmount system running windows, with a B550 motherboard, AMD 5900x cpu, 16GB of ECC RAM.

Some details about my setup
• I have a Teensy 4.0 based board running in USB-MIDI mode, which I've designed and built to run as a power/relay controller. It handles all the power sequencing, PC system startup/shutdown, etc.
• I have a MOTU 24ao audio interface for audio outputs.
• I have a Roland um-one mk2 as a MIDI interface.
• And of course an iLok dongle.

The problem is. I can't seem to use all of these at once. One of two errors occur.

1: Hauptwerk starts loading, then I get the error message, "Could not open MIDI IN port 'um-one'. Please make sure that the port is not in use by another program. (Operating system message: A device ID has been used that is out of range for your system., code: 2 hex: 2.) Message code (for diagnositic purposes): 3807

2: Hauptwerk splash screen comes up and says "The following audio or MIDI (or USB-MIDI) interface device(s) can't be accessed, but Hauptwerk is configured to use them:

Steps I've tried to resolve this problem so far:
• I've tried moving USB plugs around. I've occasionally found success doing this. Perhaps having certain things on the same USB controller is problematic. I don't know.
• I have replaced the motherboard with another model from a different vendor. This has improved the situation somewhat. The new board has more USB ports, and likely more controllers.
• Fresh install of windows didn't work. I tried both W10 and W11, with no difference.
• I've installed all of the requisite drivers, such as chipset drivers, MOTU and Roland drivers.
• I've tried using different MIDI and Audio interfaces. Does not seem to be specific to Motu or Roland.

At this point I'm very stuck. I think I'm running out of options. I could buy another Motu AVB interface that has MIDI built in and expand out to the 24ao that way, effectively reducing the two USB connections to one.

I could try a mac mini, but I'm not sure how much work will be involved in order to get it to work with my power/relay controller.

Would love some help and advice!

Ozykz

Re: USB Interface/Driver issues

PostSat Dec 23, 2023 9:20 pm

I've been dealing with this issue for weeks, and not but even 15 minutes after making this post, I found the actual solution to my issue.

I found it at this forum: https://pcorgel.nl/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4020

It's windows remote desktop, which is how I've been accessing the system for configuration. When I'm not connected via RDP everything works great.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing