It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:04 am

Three for Four

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Vangelis

Three for Four

PostThu Jan 25, 2024 1:31 pm

Hello,

I'm currently building a console with Nancy sampleset, This organ has four manuals and I have just three physical manuals, I use OLED display to visualise the name of each stops. Pedal, Positif and Great have their range of stops on the console, The Swell and Bombarde share the same range of stops as there is no space on the console to have both. With a switch I commute the use of the third manual between Swell and Bombarde divisions, and I would like to commute each Oled of this stops range according to the state of the Swell or Bombarde stops. To do that I need to memorise somewhere each stop state.

My question is relative to the state of each stops. Is there a HW function to know the stops state (On/Off) of each ? A such function could simplify for me the update of my Oled according to the manual used.

As usual, not sure to be clear, but I hope you understand me ;-)

Kind regards

Bernard

mdyde

Re: Three for Four

PostThu Jan 25, 2024 1:57 pm

Hello Bernard,

There's no means to query the states of virtual stops directly via MIDI.

However, if you've auto-detected the relevant virtual stops to MIDI stops, and selected the auto-detection option to send matching MIDI output, then Hauptwerk would send their states (on/off) whenever the states of the virtual stops change. If your firmware used a different MIDI implementation (e.g. different MIDI note numbers) depending on whether your shared division was acting as the Swell or Bombarde, so that your shared MIDI stop switches appeared to be different to Hauptwerk's auto-detection (depending on whether your shared division was acting as the Swell or Bombarde), then your firmware could memorise the states of the Swell and Bombarde stops based on the stop-on/off messages they had received from Hauptwerk. I.e. it would then appear to Hauptwerk that you had separate MIDI stops for the Swell and for the Bombarde, and your firmware could handle switching between them.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Vangelis

PostThu Jan 25, 2024 3:29 pm

Great !!! Thanks a lot Martin ! That seems clearly a nice solution. I will show you the result soon !

By the way it seems impossible to send pictures or video in this Forum. Is there a way somewhere or maybe it's for security reason ?

Once again, Thanks a lot Martin. Have a nice evening and an happy new year ! Health and love for you and your family !

Kind regards

Bernard

mdyde

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 4:37 am

Thanks very much, Bernard. Excellent.

Re. posting images: the forum doesn't allow uploading images directly, but if you upload them somewhere else you can either embed them into forum posts ( viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9797 ) or simply post links to them.

A very happy new year to you too, and best wishes with the console.
Best regards, Martin.

abaymajr

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 5:50 am

Vangelis wrote:Hello,

I'm currently building a console with Nancy sampleset, This organ has four manuals and I have just three physical manuals, I use OLED display to visualise the name of each stops. Pedal, Positif and Great have their range of stops on the console, The Swell and Bombarde share the same range of stops as there is no space on the console to have both. With a switch I commute the use of the third manual between Swell and Bombarde divisions, and I would like to commute each Oled of this stops range according to the state of the Swell or Bombarde stops. To do that I need to memorise somewhere each stop state.

My question is relative to the state of each stops. Is there a HW function to know the stops state (On/Off) of each ? A such function could simplify for me the update of my Oled according to the manual used.

As usual, not sure to be clear, but I hope you understand me ;-)

Kind regards

Bernard

Hi Vangelis,

I don’t know if the implementation suggested by Mdyde is simpler or not, but I have a console with two manuals and pedalboard and 38 stop buttons in all. For samplesets that require more buttons, using BOME Midi Translator software, I developed a method of memorizing the states of each button shared with two stops. The idea is to assign a button the function of an alternating key of a group of other buttons that will toggle its functions according to whether that key button is on or off. The states of the buttons are memorized using environment variables of BOME Midi Translator: triggering of one of these buttons, its corresponding variable is also changed according to the status of the key button and an appropriate MIDI message is sent to Hauptwerk. So if there are, for example, 13 buttons that I want to switch between two divisions of the sampleset disposition, I reserve a 14th button as a key button, and assign 2 (or more, depending on the console implementation, whether Viscount or Roland, for example) variables for each button, the value of each variable being exactly the value(s) of MIDI message needed to trigger the corresponding console button state or, if the button state is changed in the console, the change of the stop state in Hauptwerk. The solution requires a certain programming expertise or, if this is lacking, a sufficient interest to study the language of BOME MIDI Translator, which is relatively simple. Once it's learned, this can be adapted for more groups of alternating buttons and/or more samplesets (custom MIDI messages after sampleset loading will inform BOME MIDI Translator which corresponding set of translating rules it should use).

About the inscriptions themselves on the buttons of the console, as I don't count on your marvelous LCD solution, I use a kind of thick paper template with the inscriptions previously prepared by me for each sampleset in a DTP program like MS Publisher that is put close (or on) to the buttons.

Vangelis

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 6:16 am

Hi abaymajr,

Thanks for your answer. I use since more ten years Midi Translator Pro. This superb software has saved me in many situation for my projects. It is a marvelous complement to HW. I think the solution proposed by Martin is good for me if you replace in its answer the word "firmware" by Midi Translator Pro".

Any way, about my OLED solution to show dynamically the register names as I have in this project three sampleset in the same console, all the circuitry is made using Arduinos.

I don't know how, but if you want share our experience we could communicate directly. I think speaking in this Forum of other products than HW is not authorised, even BMT is only a complement of HW and in any case a competitor.

Kind regards

Bernard

mdyde

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 6:33 am

Hello Bernard,

It's certainly no problem to discuss use of Bome's MIDI Translator with Hauptwerk on this forum (or any other products for use with Hauptwerk). I'll move this topic to the "Audio / MIDI interfacing" section of the forum.
Best regards, Martin.

Vangelis

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 12:27 pm

Hello Martin,

I progress in my work. I'm able to switch the third keyboard to Bombarde or Swell. But now I try to get back the state of each stops. Unfortunately using "momentary piston Midi Note On" as entry to HW, I can't receive back from HW a message corresponding of the stop state. I received always the same message Midi Note On for each action on the stop. Of course I can create a flip variable in my software but I'm asking me if there is a way to have two different midi message from HW.

Kind regards

Benrard

Vangelis

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 12:36 pm

Sorry Martin I have found the right setting in HW !! That works fine now, I have two different message to memorise the stops state !!! Thanks for all !!!

mdyde

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 12:50 pm

Excellent. Thanks, Bernard.

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing