It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:52 pm

USB midi interface for laptop any good?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Neil Odlin

USB midi interface for laptop any good?

PostSun Jan 23, 2005 3:12 pm

I am considering buying a usb midi interface for my laptop, would this work fast enough to play live with hauptwerk?

Neil

ReinerS

PostSun Jan 23, 2005 3:59 pm

Hi Neil,
I am using such an interface myself, a thing called Midisport Uno, and it works great. It really doesn't add any noticeable latency to your system, when I use it with the B4 (which supports ASIO and works with pratically no latency on my system) its perfect. With HW the delay comes from Windows XP stuff (ASIO can bypass the problems), but its still ok.
So, I can only recommend such an interface.

Greetings
Reiner

Neil Odlin

Ebay here I come!

PostSun Jan 23, 2005 4:45 pm

Thanks!

Neil Odlin

PostSun Jan 23, 2005 4:46 pm

Whoops! I didn't realise that the subject header didn't come up on replies. Ebay here I come!

anduins

Re: USB midi interface for laptop any good?

PostTue Jan 25, 2005 8:07 am

Neil Odlin wrote:I am considering buying a usb midi interface for my laptop, would this work fast enough to play live with hauptwerk?

Neil
I bought a M-Audio Omnistudio USB that was in sale (150 euro only). It's in sale because it's USB 1.1 and not USB 2.0 (or firewire). This also a "recording studio" with phantom power for microphones (while for HW I just need the MIDI port and the audio outputs, better than the laptop's one), anyway I tried it with a laptop (p4 2Ghz) and HW and I had the same latency that I have on my desktop with a M-Audio delta 44 card.

So it works.

I suggest you buying an external USB or Firewire soundcard (like the new ones from M-Audio) so you don't have only the MIDI input to your laptop, but also a BETTER AUDIO OUTPUT.

Ok?

Good luck.

Neil Odlin

PostTue Jan 25, 2005 9:29 am

I think I am going to get just a basic midi interface as the laptop is only a temporary solution, the maximum memory that it can hold is 1 gig so that will limit me in terms of the organs that I can load, so eventually I am planning to build or have built a dedicated pc. However I am so close to having a working organ I just can't wait a lot longer, if ebay doesn't come up trumps in the next few days I guess I'll have buy a new one!!!

AquaStill

Question for ReinerS

PostWed Jan 26, 2005 9:57 am

I was interrested in your anwer, as I use an USB onto a Sony Vaio laptop with XP family edition, and I have the famous latency problem (I can't go below 40 ms in the setup window of HW - the final latency I do'nt know). What is B4 and how can I use ASIO to bypass the pb?

Thanks in advance for you answer

Bonsoir

ReinerS

PostWed Jan 26, 2005 10:46 am

Hi,
B4 has nothing to do with Hauptwerk, it is Native Instruments wonderful rendition of the famous Hammond B3 organ and it supports asio drivers. HW1 does not and hence there is not much you can do to reduce latency other than waiting for HW2, which will also support asio drivers.

Greetings
Reiner

Rudolf_Schwartz

PostThu Jan 27, 2005 3:03 am

Hi there,

I am using the M-Audio Midisport Uno USB MIDI interface at my IBM R50p notebook (1GB RAM) and it works well with a Hauptwerk setting of 17 ms of latency (6 blocks). The price of around 60 € for the interface was really worth it!
Cheers
Rudolf

MrFX

PostFri Jan 28, 2005 1:16 am

Hello!

I've build this one by myself, the price was < 20 Euros.

Works great with Windows, MacOSX and Linux without any driver.

Best regards,
MrFX

Neil Odlin

PostSat Jan 29, 2005 5:33 pm

Thanks Mr Fx and everyone else for your comments. I won't be building one, I have enough soldering to do re-wiring my livingstone console to Midiboutiques B4ce1. Does anyone have any experience of the creative extigy from a midi point of view? I can find these relatively cheaply on ebay, I am considering this as an option due to the fact that I can't seem to find a reasonably priced midisport of any kind, almost all sell at little or no discount to new when postage is taken into account. Perhaps this should tell me something!! Please remember this is only a temporary solution for my laptop, before I build my dedicated behemoth with 3 to 4 gig of ram, e.t.c.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing