It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

Transforming a "normal Keyboard".

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Norman

Transforming a "normal Keyboard".

PostThu Feb 17, 2005 2:30 pm

Not really a new subject more a change of title.
Anduins suggested we should discuss the topic and I would like to add this.
www.clavmon.cz/organ/hraciStal_eng.htm defines what we are seeking to improve as Druckpunkt, the resistance of the "tracture".

He states: "Well, you have to use the silicon cables (4mm thick) and put them under each key. Then you get a typical organ Druckpunt".

There are photos and a drawing of the installation but it is very difficult to see exactly what has been done and the explanation is not in English. The silicon cable looks as if it could be tubing, similiar to the type used for oxygenating an aquarium. Each key is fitted with cable/tube about 50mm long that fits into a small hole drilled into the key and the suppport underneath.

Has anybody used this method? What exactly is the Cable or tubing? Is it used to dampen the spring action or to replace them?
This could be an easy inexpensive way of improving a poor keyboard.

stef13

Url of precedent post for english page

PostFri Feb 18, 2005 4:28 am

The correct link to his english pages in which there are links to pictures and drawings if his explained method is:

http://www.clavmon.cz/organ/hraciStul_eng.htm

I do not have any opinion about the result, but it's nice of him to have explained every step of his artwork...
Thanks t All! :-)
Stef

Norman

PostFri Feb 18, 2005 5:57 am

Thanks for the reply, Stef.
I did give the English address and unfortunatly the Drawings do not have captions in a language that I can fully understand. It is a most interesting site and I would lke to follow up on his idea.
Does anyone have an email address for the author?

Norman.

imetier

PostFri Feb 18, 2005 6:12 am

Hello Norman,
This method seems simple and cheap indeed. However it could be interesting to check the lifetime of such silicon cables. I once had a Gem Chorus organ that used flexible silicon-like parts for the pedalboard contacts but those parts were not sturdy at all. I had to replace them after a few years.
I'm nonetheless interested in whatever information you may find about it...

Thanks,
Jean

NeilCraig

PostFri Feb 18, 2005 7:18 am

imetier wrote:This method seems simple and cheap indeed. However it could be interesting to check the lifetime of such silicon cables.

Hi

I think silicone cabling would be okay. Performance car engine ducting/hoses are silicone and these have the express purpose of NOT cracking and splitting like conventional rubber hoses (also more resistant to heat).

Although, isn't this only part of the story? there is still a need to simulate the "pluck" of the tracker action. The idea for using magnets and lead weights was Yves Petit-Clerc's idea btw, not mine. I thought of using opposing magnets like UHT, but since I only ever played one tracker organ and it was a bad one, I don't know how strong/heavy these things need to be.

I'm also concerned about RSI. My new console's keys are a lot less "firm" than my Johannus but still firmer than my local church organ's keys.

Best wishes//Neil
A plaque is simply not necessary - everyone will know it is a Willis organ! - "Father" Henry Willis

afwen

PostFri Feb 18, 2005 7:55 am

NeilCraig wrote:Although, isn't this only part of the story? there is still a need to simulate the "pluck" of the tracker action.

Tracker keyboards don't pluck. Simulated tracker keyboards pluck. ;-) But seriously, I've found that I play more unintentional notes due to incidental contact on the tracker action organ that I take my lessons on as compared to my crummy synth keyboards at home. So I think that adding initial resistance is only a part of the challenge--there's also the matter of the earlier speaking point of tracker action keyboards.

-Alvin

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing