It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:56 pm

Midi Feedback problem

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

sophiesdad

Midi Feedback problem

PostSun Feb 27, 2005 11:06 am

Hello all:
I tagged this onto my old message, but didn't get any responses. I have the Cakewalk home studio with the Creative Audigy Sound Card. As per suggestions, I installed the Midi Yoke and chose channel 1 for input and output, but got an error that said "Midi Feedback - disabling port 1". The Hauptwerk still won't play from MIDI data. Any ideas?
Everyone has a photographic memory -- some are just missing the film! :)

afwen

Re: Midi Feedback problem

PostMon Feb 28, 2005 5:12 pm

I would guess that you should choose different channels for input vs. output.

-Alvin

MidiOrganMan

Re: Midi Feedback problem

PostTue Mar 29, 2005 12:33 pm

Greetings

The problem with MIDI feedback is caused by Cakewalk Home Studio having its Echo Mode enabled. This means that the MIDI signal at the input to Cakewalk will appear on the output also. If you then have the same Midi-Yoke port assigned to Cakewalk's input and output MIDI feedback will result.

One solution, as already noted, is to use different Midi-Yoke ports for Cakewalk's input and out.

However it should also be possible to solve the problem by disabling Cakewalk's Echo Mode to prevent the MIDI signal passing through Cakewalk. I'm not familiar with CW Home Edition but it's probably similar to CW's Sonar in the way the Echo Mode is enabled/disabled.

In Sonar the method of disabling Echo Mode is as follows:
1. Select "Options" from the menu bar
2. Select "Project options.
3. Select "MIDI input"
4. Under Echo Mode select "NONE"

This should solve the problem!

Please note that there is a similar thread to this in the "Problems, Help, Advice" section where Neil Craig describes the same feedback problem with Cakewalk's Sonar.

Regards,

Martin Lilley

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing