It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:03 pm

I always have to start the computer twice before i can play

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Jan Loosman

I always have to start the computer twice before i can play

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 8:18 am

I have win10 with a Motu 828x audio interface.
I disabled every unnessasery service. Power managment is diasbled etc.
Reaper and Hauptwerk (delayed) are starting automaticcaly.
Every thing starts ok but when i load a sampleset the set will fully load and when the load audio/midi screen starts it freezes.
Then i have to restart the computer and the second time every thing always starts ok and then i can start playing.
This is very strange behaviour, any suggestions what it can be?

Regards Jan

mdyde

Re: I always have to start the computer twice before i can p

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 8:53 am

Hello Jan,

When the freeze occurs, does it actually freeze indefinitely, or if you keep waiting (for a couple of minutes, for example), does it then work? (Perhaps the audio interface/driver is just being very slow to start, e.g. because of the sample set using a different sample rate.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

micdev

Site Admin

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 11:18 am

Hello Jan,

The 828x is an old interface and the last drivers available is dating from October 2015 (for Vista and Win 8 - click here to see ). I suspect that while you are able to use it with Windows 10, there is probably some glitches. You may want to contact Motu and see what they say about that.

See this link and scroll this you see the 828x and expand the list. From the 828x, the supported OS are ■ Windows 8, 7 or Vista, 32- or 64-bit; Vista SP 2 or later required

Maybe it is time to upgrade your audio interface....

Regards
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Jan Loosman

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 1:48 pm

Hello Martin

Yes it freeses indefinitely. Al is set to 48000 khz in the motu setup software and also in Reaper so no different sample rate.

Hello Francois.

Thx for the info. What puzzles me is that the motu 828x is still in the stores so without proper win10 drivers. Not very customer friendly.

Regards Jan

mdyde

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 pm

Hello Jan,

Please first make sure you're using Hauptwerk v5.0.1 via the 'Help | About Hauptwerk' screen, not v5.0.0, since there was a bug in v5.0.0 whereby Hauptwerk could crash with certain sample sets if using VST for audio output.

Assuming you're using v5.0.1:

Am I correct in assuming that you're using the Hauptwerk VST Link as the audio output device in Hauptwerk, and that you have the latest version of the driver for your MOTU installed, and that you have the MOTU's ASIO driver selected in Reaper?
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Jan Loosman

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 2:34 pm

Hello Martin

I use the audiorearoute from reaper and the latest Hauptwerk version.
In reaper i use the motu asio drivers.
I am planning to open my organ (pc is build in)and then change the motu to another usb port from usb 2 to the usb 3 or other usb port in my computer i hope this will make a difference.

Regards Jan

mdyde

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 2:52 pm

Thanks, Jan.

If using another USB port doesn't help, I'd suggest:

- Make sure you're using the latest version of Reaper (ReaRoute), in case there were any relevant bugs in earlier versions.

- Temporarily stop Hauptwerk and Reaper form launching automatically when the PC boots, and see whether you get the same issue if you launch them manually.

- If those things don't eliminate it, after the freeze has occurred, reboot the PC, launch Hauptwerk, and look in the log ('Hep | View activity log') to see what the last message was (by timestamp) before the freeze occurred. Hauptwerk will log 'starting ...' and 'started ...' messages for each audio and MIDI driver/device in turn whenever it starts them, similar to this:

2020-03-26-17-49-55: INF:3830 Starting MIDI.

2020-03-26-17-49-55: INF:3823 Starting MIDI IN port 'E-MU XMidi1X1 Tab In'.

2020-03-26-17-49-55: INF:3824 MIDI started. MIDI hardware type: DIY/home-made or modified MIDI console. MIDI port buffer size: 512 KB.

2020-03-26-17-49-55: INF:5096 Starting audio.

2020-03-26-17-49-55: INF:5197 CoreAudio audio device 'RME UFX' started at 44100 Hz with a default stream resolution of 32 bits (stream format ID: 19), 2 channels, min driver buffer size 1024 sample frames, max driver buffer size 1024 sample frames, max driver latency 48 frames (1.1 ms), application buffer size 0 frames, buffer latency 1024 frames, overall total latency 1072 frames (24.3 ms), audio engine buffer chunk size 1024 frames, num buffers 1. Buffer sizes supported by driver: min: 15, max: 4096, max variable: 0. (Please note that some drivers do not report their latencies correctly, and a reported latency of 88200 frames or more should be ignored.)

2020-03-26-17-49-55: INF:5098 Audio started.

If the last entry before the freeze was such a 'starting ...' message, then it was the driver/device that froze when Hauptwerk asked it to start. In that case, if it was the ReaRoute ASIO driver that froze, try using the MOTU's ASIO driver directly in Hauptwerk (without Reaper running), to see whether you still get the same problem.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 6:36 am

P.S. Maybe something in this thread (re. the order in which the computer and MOTU device are turned on) is relevant: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17641
Best regards, Martin.

Jan Loosman

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 3:17 pm

Found it.
The log file showed that starting midi made hauptwerk freeze.
Midi was connected with a classic midi in and a midi out cable to the Motu interface.
I also have a usb midi out on my midicontroller.
Switching to this and so avoiding the motu midi solved the problem.

Many thanks for the support.

Regards Jan

mdyde

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 3:26 pm

Thanks, Jan.

Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support