It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:35 am

Free drive space for V5 upgrade

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

DaveMax

Free drive space for V5 upgrade

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 1:14 pm

About to make the jump to V5. Need to know if I have to clear out space before installing since drives are pretty full.

Specifically, will V5 erase all V4 cache files and recreate them on first load of an organ?

Will installing V5 organs automatically overwrite the V4 organs of the same name?

Installation instructions say to do a backup of V4 before proceeding, but instructions are unclear. Does this refer to backing up personal data, combinations, voicing, etc.? I wouldn't think there would be anything else to back up. This data is said to be preserved through the migration, so is a backup necessary?

In total, am I safe just installing V5 and migrating and letting HW sort out the necessary drive space issues by overwriting as needed?

Thanks for any replies.

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Free drive space for V5 upgrade

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 1:42 pm

Good afternoon Max,

I recommend that you download the Hauptwerk Installation and User Manual and the Release Notice from https://hauptwerk.com/documentation.

In the Installation and User manual, see pages 23+. Upgrading on a MAC is tricky and requires a clean install (see page 26) and you will need to manually delete some folders. On a PC, it is simpler and Hauptwerk will replace the various programs and install a new version of St-Anne.

Ideally you should clean up your cache folder, that way you will be sure to have plenty of space. Note that for your encrypted sample sets you will need to download the Hauptwerk 5 compatible files and re-install them.

You're right about the backup, it is a Hauptwerk backup (where settings, combinations etc are saved). Is the backup necessary... no never necessary until something goes wrong :shock: ... make a backup, takes a minute and you will be safe (on a MAC it is even more important because of the clean install).

Hope this helps
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

DaveMax

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 3:48 pm

Micdev:

I have already read all the HW documentation on the upgrade. I am asking questions the documentation does not answer. I have already downloaded all the V5 organs now licensed on V4.

First, I am on PC, not Mac. Not sure where that came from. I'd appreciate knowing the following:

Does the V5 upgrade delete all extant cache files from encrypted sample sets, or must I do this myself? (This presupposes that it leaves unencrypted organs alone, both organs and cache files.) Or, more likely, does it just replace them at first loading of a new V5 version of an organ with same organ ID?

Does the V5 upgrade delete all encrypted V4 organs and ODF files or must I do this myself? This is the crux of making sure my organ SSD will have enough space for reinstallation (I have over 80 organs installed here).

I am most concerned about one specific, irreplaceable organ: FCCLA The Great Organs. I have the V5 install package in hand from Jonathan Orwig. I need to know if this organ is included in the licensing package or not and would migrate successfully. Milan Digital does not publish the contents of this file anywhere as far as I know, nor is there any listing of Organ ID numbers associated with organ names anywhere to be found. I wish these could be public knowledge.

micdev

Site Admin

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 4:26 pm

Hi,

Hauptwerk won't purge the cache folder and organs will be re-cached on first load. The same for the encrypted Hw4 "odf and source files" v4 they will remain in OrganInstallationPackages and OrganDefinitions folders... so it is "clean-up" time :wink:

If the sample set producer offers a V5 version of his organ (FCCLA in your case), then it will be supported by Hauptwerk V(and be included in the licensing pack).

Hope this helps
Best regards
François

DaveMax

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 6:30 pm

Micdev:

Will installing a V5 organ with the same Organ ID as its V4 counterpart overwrite the V4 organ and ODF files?
This would make upgrading a lot easier.

Thank you for your help.

micdev

Site Admin

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 pm

Hello Dave,

That depends how the sample sets creator implemented the V5 version. Most will overwrite the V4 files though (so same id and folders numbers), but you will also find some sample sets offered for Hauptwerk 5 who are are upgraded versions (re-worked, new features etc).
Best regards
François

Return to Technical support