It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:08 pm

Audio quality

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Russgg2

Audio quality

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 7:04 pm

I’m running HW5.01 on Windows 10. 64 GB RAM, 4TB SSD, 200 plus sample sets.

I had been running successfully for several months, then experienced the following degradation of audio quality.

Each stop has variations of volume throughout the scale. Loud notes here and there, not the same notes from rank to rank. Also a general ‘bluriness’ of tone, particularly offensive in flutes. All the clarity of sound is gone, distortion becoming worse and worse as ranks are added. All sample sets are affected.

Audio glitches have also increased to an unacceptable frequency.

Any thoughts on how to fix this and return to previous excellence?

Russ

mnailor

Re: Audio quality

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 9:15 pm

I assume you're watching the CPU meter in Hauptwerk and seeing it go red.

It could be a Windows 10 update (see date of your last update), or failing hardware such as audio interfaces or amplifier.

I'd check your Windows update history and, if one was forced on you recently, retune it for audio glitches and consider restoring to your last working Windows before the update if that doesn't work.

Some Windows 10 builds break live audio, while others are fine with tuning.

If not a software update, then the audio interface and cables would be the next likely cause. Followed by the amplifier if you have a single amp for the whole system other than subwoofers.

micdev

Site Admin

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 9:44 pm

Good evening Russ,

As mnailor said you can check your Windows update history. First thing I would try is installed the latest drivers for your audio interface; if somehow WinUpdate replaced it, installing the latest drivers should fix your problem. Wrong drivers will cause all kind of problems (glitches).

Have you installed any new software on your computer lately?

You're talking about variation of volume throughout the scale? Maybe one or more speakers are failing if you are using multiple channels; if can also be the corresponding audio output of your audio interface and/or amplifier channels).

To identify the faulty channel, select just one stop and play a chromatic scale and identify on which speaker each note is played. That way you should be able be able to identify a (or multiple) faulty speaker/channel.

Also, you may want to try something. Are all your sample sets behaving that way or only a few? If only a few, then select one with the problem then go to Organ settings | Organ configuration wizard , make sure all three boxes are *ticked* NOTE: you will need to re-autodetect your controls, you will lose your voicing and you will need to re-route your ranks by running the wizard with the boxes ticked, but I've seen cases where this solved weird audio problem.

Reprogram the organ (auto-detection, audio routing) then try again the organ. Same problems or better?

But first step, re-install your audio interface driver and check the various parameters of your interface in the applet installed when installing the drivers.

One last thing, make sure that you don't overload your memory; ideally try to keep 2Gb of ram free once the sample set is loaded, and of course your have Hauptwerk 5.0.1.034 installed right?
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Owen Jones

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 1:01 pm

Russgg2 wrote:I’m running HW5.01 on Windows 10. 64 GB RAM, 4TB SSD, 200 plus sample sets.

I had been running successfully for several months, then experienced the following degradation of audio quality.

Each stop has variations of volume throughout the scale. Loud notes here and there, not the same notes from rank to rank. Also a general ‘bluriness’ of tone, particularly offensive in flutes. All the clarity of sound is gone, distortion becoming worse and worse as ranks are added. All sample sets are affected.

Audio glitches have also increased to an unacceptable frequency.

Any thoughts on how to fix this and return to previous excellence?

Russ

I am having similar problems; haven't found a solution yet.

engrssc

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 8:57 pm

I would also suggest doing this experimenting on an Alt HW configuration (HW Alt 1, HW Alt 2, HW Alt 3). That way you won't disturb your original settings in case the problem is something external of the software and/or the computer.

Rgds,
Ed

randallschmid

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 5:43 am

The symptoms suggest HW is receiving double notes - two note on events without a note off in between. Depending on the timing, this would produce an out of phase condition that would amplify (double) or partially cancel the notes amplitude.

You should be able to see if this is happening by using HW's midi monitor.

If you are using a VST host, you can check that your midi controllers are only active either in HW or the VST host but not both, and midi thru is not enabled if your controller's input midi port is enabled in HW and HWVstlink midi in is also enabled...

murph

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 3:41 pm

Win10 can do really silly things with older drivers as it updates itsself. I have to re-install the Brother label printer software after every update. Recently, an update broke the ESI Gigaport HD+ driver. (ESI posted a new one that fixes things.. Takes more than one re-boot............).
Try re-installing the audio driver, or checking for a newer one.

Return to Technical support