It is currently Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:49 pm

Hauptwerk simply not starting??

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

jplatter

Hauptwerk simply not starting??

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 7:59 pm

Hi folks. This feels like the dumbest question ever, but I can't find anything about it in any other place. I just bought a monthly subscription to Hauptwerk, downloaded the application, and tried firing it up. It won't start up. Tried running the VST in Ableton. Nothing.

iLok License Manager is running the latest version, and tells me my "Subscription License is up to Date" next to Hauptwerk Lite Edition.

I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it several times. Same exact problem.

I'm running Windows 10, version 20H2, experience 120.2212.551.0.

Has anyone run into this? It just literally won't start, either as an application or as a VST. It's the weirdest problem I've ever run into for a mainstream software application.

Help would be much appreciated!

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk simply not starting??

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 4:44 am

Hello jplatter,

Thanks very much for buying the subscription licence.

In case you weren't aware of this, the VST plug-in is different from conventional VST instruments, in that it's simply a link for routing audio/MIDI to/from the stand-alone Hauptwerk application. It doesn't have a separate graphical user interface, and you must only have one instance of it loaded in your VST host at a time. (The 'MIDI sequencing, the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link and applying external real-time effects plug-ins chapter in the user guide covers it all in more depth.)

Let's concentrate on getting the stand-alone application up and running first:

- Make sure that you have all available Windows Updates installed. (Check for updates, apply any available, reboot, and repeat until there are no more.)

- Make sure that the current version of Hauptwerk is installed (v6.0.2, which is version that's been available via the downloads page on the main Hauptwerk website since 17th February: https://www.hauptwerk.com/win/ ).

- Make sure you're signed in within iLok License Manager.

- If you have an iLok dongle:
---- Make sure the dongle is attached and that its internal LED is lit (which indicates that its driver can 'see' it), and that it's listed in the left-hand pane in iLok License Manager (which also means that iLok License Manager can see it).
---- Make sure your subscription licence is activated to the dongle. To activate it you would right-click on the subscription licence entry in the right-hand pane in iLok License Manager, select 'Activate ...' then select your iLok dongle as the destination when prompted.

- If instead you're using iLok Cloud:
---- Make sure your iLok Cloud session is open ('File | Open Your Cloud Session' in iLok License Manager).
---- Make sure your subscription licence is activated to iLok Cloud. To activate it you would right-click on the subscription licence entry in the right-hand pane in iLok License Manager, select 'Activate ...' then select iLok Cloud as the destination when prompted.

- Now try launching Hauptwerk again. If it still won't launch, reboot, and un-install iLok License Manager, then try re-installing the current version ( https://ilok.com/ ).

Does that solve it?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

jplatter

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 12:18 pm

Thanks for the response, mdyde.

I tried everything you listed. There were a few "optional" updates in Windows that I updated, then restarted, then uninstalled and reinstalled iLok (specifically PACE License Support, which is what the iLok website gave me). Same story.

Here's a link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mNaeNlh9xmazu9gGZCxK1drxuhS0bxlH/view
to a screen cap I took of the behavior. There's no error message or warning whatsoever.

So strange!

engrssc

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 12:31 pm

Google (drive, etc) is not involved in starting the stand alone version of Hauptwerk.

Do you see 4 Hauptwerk icons on your desktop? If not, HW is not installed (properly).

Hauptwerk 6.0.2 Installation and User Guide available here:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/

BTW, VST is only available with the Advanced Edition and isn't needed to start HW.

Rgds,
Ed

randallschmid

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 1:46 pm

To make sure there are no file system security issues, have you tried running HW with <right-mouse-click> "run as administrator"?

You may also want to look at your firewall settings to make sure Ilok is not blocked.

mdyde

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 2:36 pm

jplatter wrote:Thanks for the response, mdyde.

I tried everything you listed. There were a few "optional" updates in Windows that I updated, then restarted, then uninstalled and reinstalled iLok (specifically PACE License Support, which is what the iLok website gave me). Same story.

Here's a link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mNaeNl ... 0bxlH/view
to a screen cap I took of the behavior. There's no error message or warning whatsoever.

Hello John,

Francois also contacted me to show me your message, to see what I thought.

Since you mention that the ASIO driver is flashing up on the screen as you launch Hauptwerk, I think the problem isn't actually due to iLok, since the iLok system must already have launched the main Hauptwerk application by that point, in order that Hauptwerk could start querying ASIO drivers.

Whenever Hauptwerk launches it loads each ASIO driver briefly in turn (since only by actually loading an ASIO driver can an application query its capabilities, such as how many audio channels it provides and what sample rates it supports). Given that you're seeing Steinberg's Generic Low Latency Driver flash up, Hauptwerk must at least have started querying the drivers. I suspect that some ASIO driver (or conceivably a MIDI driver, but probably ASIO) is actually crashing when Hauptwerk tries to load it. If a driver crashes then it can crash the application that's loading it (i.e. Hauptwerk in this case).

The ASIO driver that's crashing isn't necessarily the Steinberg's Generic Low Latency Driver -- it could be some other ASIO driver that you have installed.

I'd suggest looking within some other ASIO-supporting application (such as Dorico) to see the list of all ASIO drivers that are installed on the PC, then un-installing all of those that aren't actually used, one by one, until hopefully Hauptwerk will be able to launch.

(It's also conceivable, although not very likely, that Hauptwerk's log might have some relevant information in it prior to the crash.)

Since you've been working with Francois, I'll leave you to work with him, and he can ask me if he needs my input on anything (rather than both of us potentially replying to things in duplicate).
Best regards, Martin.

jplatter

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 6:24 pm

That was it! I uninstalled Jack Audio since I haven't used it in quite a while, and Hauptwerk started right up! How strange, it's just been on my computer for a couple years but I use Voicemeeter for audio routing now.

Thanks so much for helping me figure this out!!

mdyde

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 2:18 am

Thanks, John.

Excellent. You're very welcome. Hope you enjoy Hauptwerk.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 2:39 am

A very clever diagnosis. 8) There isn't a day that I (and probably others) don't learn something new about Hauptwerk.
Admittedly, sometimes when searching for a problem/solution, I don't always know what the correct terminology (words) is/are.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Technical support