It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm

Recording Performance in Hauptwerk

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

NorfolkJon

Recording Performance in Hauptwerk

PostTue Mar 24, 2015 3:47 am

Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong section - feel free to move, but I had no idea where this was best suited.

I'd like to use Hauptwerk to record a performance, but I only have a MIDI Piano at home. I was wondering if there's any sort of 'overdub' feature, whereby I could record one part and then record another part over that and so on?

Thanks.

mdyde

Re: Recording Performance in Hauptwerk

PostTue Mar 24, 2015 4:49 am

Hello Jon,

Yes -- you can do that by using Hauptwerk's built-in recorder to record the parts as successive MIDI files, overdubbing them with each iteration. When you're happy with the finished result, if you wished you could then play back the MIDI file in Hauptwerk's MIDI recorder/player, whilst simultaneously recording to audio.

The 'Recording menu' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (on the Help menu in Hauptwerk, pages 132-136 in the current v4.1.1 version) covers those things, and the 'Overdubbing MIDI recordings' sub-section in particular.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

NorfolkJon

PostTue Mar 24, 2015 8:57 am

Thanks for the quick reply Martin. I'll take a second look at the manual, I can't believe I missed a section titled overdubbing! It definitely sounds like it should be fairly simple, that's my reading for this evening sorted.

Thanks again.

mdyde

PostTue Mar 24, 2015 10:34 am

Thanks, Jon.

You're welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

Erzahler

PostFri Jun 24, 2016 6:16 am

Does the performance you want to overdub need to recorded first as a midi file?
I just wanted to add a decant to a hymn but I only have a WAV file

mdyde

PostFri Jun 24, 2016 6:28 am

Hauptwerk doesn't have the facility to play back audio/WAV files at all (or to overdub them, which would also involve playing them). One reason for that is that use of multi-channel audio would involve complications (with each audio output potentially requiring separate audio files to be present and accessible in the expected place, and synchronised). Another is that the original registration actions wouldn't be able to affect the stop states as you played/overdubbed. (Likewise with any voicing changes you might have made since the original recording.)

Hence the playback/overdub facilities are for MIDI files only. The intention is that you would always also record MIDI whenever you recorded audio. You can then simply play back/re-record/overdub the MIDI file, giving the same effect (but with more flexibility).
Best regards, Martin.

Erzahler

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 5:25 am

Thanks Martin, that clears that up.
Could you add on page 136 that a WAV file cannot be used.

mdyde

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 5:41 am

Hello Erzahler,

It does already specifically say on page 136 ('Overdubbing MIDI recordings') that the over-dubbing instructions/functionality relate specifically to *MIDI* files.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support