It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 am

Love my Skinner but can't split the jambs

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

ChangedForever

Love my Skinner but can't split the jambs

PostMon Sep 07, 2015 6:34 pm

As in the Saint Annes, I can split the left and right stop jambs to match my touchscreens - left / right. Does the Skinner not have this option; I can't find it?

Sure, I can put a console on each of the three monitors, but I wanted the stops on the left and right as in the Saint Anne's Organ. The Skinner organ sounds wonderful though... now that I have my Motu Midi to usb Lite installed :D .

Thanks,
Mark

mkc1

Re: Love my Skinner but can't split the jambs

ChangedForever

PostMon Sep 07, 2015 6:55 pm

mkc1 --- right, my eyes didn't fool me. Maybe I don't have the resolution set right... I'll check it when I get home after WORK tonight....

Thanks for sharing,
Mark

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Sep 07, 2015 7:25 pm

Make sure you've downloaded the update patch. Follow the link below then click the Downloads tab and download/install the Wet Skinner update.

https://www.milandigitalaudio.com/instr ... nstruments
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

engrssc

PostMon Sep 07, 2015 8:40 pm

BTW on the right jamb, there are 4 extra tabs (upper right hand corner) which can be used to control (on-off), external voicing systems such as the Rodgers MX200. I hope Brett will keep them on the updated Skinner and wish other sample sets had them. Very useful. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

oliver_mayes

PostMon Sep 07, 2015 9:07 pm

This post made me curious about the MIDI ON/OFF tabs on the EM Skinner. I have never used external modules with the Skinner, but have with some of my other other organs. In these cases I have sacrificed a stop to activate the MIDI module.

However, When I load the Skinner and turn on one of the MIDI ON tabs the sound module plays a note. When I touch (turn on) any stop it plays a note (different notes). The manual keys DO NOT play any notes. It is as if everything is working backwards. I don't know where to start to turn things around. Help please, I would like to have this function that I did not know was there.
Ollie Mayes
Edit - I have the dry Skinner

telemanr

PostMon Sep 07, 2015 10:20 pm

The patches for the Skinner are strangely numbered.
The 2008 patch is called 1.03
The 2010 patch is called 1.02

Something isn't right.
Rob Enns

mdyde

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 3:41 am

oliver_mayes wrote:This post made me curious about the MIDI ON/OFF tabs on the EM Skinner. I have never used external modules with the Skinner, but have with some of my other other organs. In these cases I have sacrificed a stop to activate the MIDI module.

However, When I load the Skinner and turn on one of the MIDI ON tabs the sound module plays a note. When I touch (turn on) any stop it plays a note (different notes). The manual keys DO NOT play any notes. It is as if everything is working backwards. I don't know where to start to turn things around. Help please, I would like to have this function that I did not know was there.
Ollie Mayes

Hello Ollie,

I think you must have configured MIDI output incorrectly.

Please:

- Use 'Help | Create a diagnostic file' and send the resulting file to us ( https://www.hauptwerk.com/forms/support/ ), so that we can have a look at your current MIDI settings.

- Let us know which physical MIDI OUT port your external sound module is connected to, and which MIDI channels you've set it up to use, and which of those channels you want each of the Skinner divisions to use specifically.

We should then be able to tell you which settings to change.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 9:04 am

telemanr wrote:The patches for the Skinner are strangely numbered.
The 2008 patch is called 1.03
The 2010 patch is called 1.02

Something isn't right.

It's correct! One is for the wet Skinner and one is for the dry Skinner, two totally different instrument file sets.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

ChangedForever

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 10:36 am

Brett - thanks for the feedback. Clearly the Skinner site states "Support for left and right stop jamb display pages." Will try that this weekend. Great instrument!

mdyde

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 11:40 am

oliver_mayes wrote:This post made me curious about the MIDI ON/OFF tabs on the EM Skinner. I have never used external modules with the Skinner, but have with some of my other other organs. In these cases I have sacrificed a stop to activate the MIDI module.

Ollie Mayes

Hello Ollie,

Thanks for the diagnostic file and email:

oliver_mayes wrote:EM Skinner - Dry sends a MIDI note message to external sound module when activated. Keys do not send note messages. I have the module receive messages on Channel 9. On one of my organs, I use a stop to activate the module. I can pull this designated stop on the great and the great will play on the module. Same for a stop on Swell, Pedal etc.

I have not ever had the module turned on when playing the Skinner, so have never noticed this before.

I can see the problem:

Currently you have MIDI output configured for various stop/piston switches with '<All enabled ports>' and 'Auto MIDI output (match to primary input settings)' selected.

Have you done that intentionally for some reason? For example, do you use MIDI output from Hauptwerk to drive solenoid-actuated/illuminated MIDI draw-knobs/tabs?

If it wasn't intentional, then presumably at some point in the past you auto-detected your stops with the 'send matching MIDI output' option ticked. In that case:

- Go the 'Organ settings | Stop/coupler/tremulant switches and pistons/buttons' screen.

- Highlight *all* entries in the left-hand pane (e.g. Ctrl+A on Windows).

- Highlight the 'Primary output' tab in the right-hand pane.

- In the right-hand pane, change the 'Output' setting to '<No output ...>.

- OK the screen.

The virtual stops/switches will then no longer send MIDI output.

Also, you haven't actually configured MIDI output from the Skinner's 'MIDI OUT' virtual keyboards, i.e. the ones that its MIDI tabs control. To do that:

- Go the 'Organ settings | Keyboards' screen.

- Choose the '... Great MIDI Out' entry in the left-hand browse list.

- Highlight the 'Primary output' tab in the right-hand pane.

- Set 'Output' to 'MIDI note-on/off' and choose the desired MIDI OUT port and channel (i.e. the ones that your external sound expander are set up to use).

- Repeat for other '... MIDI Out' keyboard entries in the left-hand browse list as desired.

- OK the screen.

It should then work.
Best regards, Martin.

oliver_mayes

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 1:34 pm

Martin,
Thank you! Thank you. I would never have figured this out by myself. The Skinner was my first organ and who knows what I did years ago in the beginning. All my other organs are OK.

One last question. I notice that the general cancel does not cancel the MIDI switches. Is this normal?
Ollie

mdyde

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 1:48 pm

Thanks, Ollie.

You're welcome.

oliver_mayes wrote:One last question. I notice that the general cancel does not cancel the MIDI switches. Is this normal?

Do you mean the stop switches on the virtual console? Or physical switches on your MIDI organ console hardware?

If the latter, do you use MIDI output from Hauptwerk to drive solenoid-actuated/illuminated MIDI draw-knobs/tabs?

Also, are you referring to the general cancel piston on the Skinner's virtual console, or the (master) general cancel on Hauptwerk's control panels (which is the same as the one on its piston toolbars)?
Best regards, Martin.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 4:55 pm

I think he is referring to the MIDI output couplers on the Skinner. Those are not affected by the combination system at all and that is intentional. You will need to manually turn them off.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

engrssc

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 6:23 pm

B. Milan wrote:Those are not affected by the combination system at all and that is intentional..

That's a good "feature" and I use it to good advantage. 8)

Since coming to light here, I just wondered how many use those 4 tabs or even knew about them because they only show up on the right jamb screen..

Rgds,
Ed
Next

Return to Technical support