It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:19 am

How to delete caches but not .rar files

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

organsRgreat

How to delete caches but not .rar files

PostWed Jan 20, 2016 4:08 pm

I need to clear some space on my hard drive, and various Hauptwerk items are occupying quite a lot of space. I have several organs cached that I rarely use; what I'd like to do is delete the caches, but keep the .rar files in case I need them in future. What is the correct way of doing this please?

I think it's a matter of going to File > Uninstall organ or temperament, then choosing to uninstall the Data only; but I'd like to be certain in case I delete something valuable.

Many thanks.

IainStinson

Re: How to delete caches but not .rar files

PostWed Jan 20, 2016 5:57 pm

The .rar files are the files containing sample sets and other files used to install the virtual organs: HW's installer uses these to set up the instrument within your HW system. Once the virtual organ is installed these .rar files are not actively used by HW but should be stored safely so that you can use them again to install the virtual organ. I keep all of my .rar files on a separate disk (and back this up too) to save space on the disk containing my HW system.

The HW uninstall function removes the components which have been installed from the HW system, this can include sample data, organ definitions and so. It does not touch the .rar files. (I assume it also removes the cache for the instrument being uninstalled, but I've never checked this.)

If you have several drives on your computer you can (re-)configure HW to put some of its files on the other drives (see pg 19 of the HW user Guide) and this can save space on your "system" disk.

I hope this helps.

Iain

mdyde

PostThu Jan 21, 2016 4:30 am

Hello organsRgreat,

To add to Iain's thorough reply (thanks Iain):

Yes -- using 'File | Un-install ...' in Hauptwerk to un-install the relevant 'Organ: ...' entry will also delete its cache file(s). Un-installing its data packages too will also free up lots more space, in case you don't plan to use the organ in the near future. (You can always re-install it later from its downloaded ....CompPkg_Hauptwerk_rar or ....CompPkg.Hauptwerk.rar files.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organsRgreat

PostThu Jan 21, 2016 11:35 am

My thanks to you both for very clear explanations. I will make sure all the .rar files are backed up to an external drive before deleting anything; I have a box with three drives in a RAID array, and a facility for on-line storage. I used to think a terabyte drive was huge but . . .

Romanos

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 4:28 pm

I would like a few more points clarified:

what happens if you uninstall an organ in one instance of HW... does it uninstall it in all instances as well? I have a few organs loaded differently (different routing schemes) in some of the spare HW load instances. I don't use those experimental schemes anymore but I know that the same organ has now been cached more than once. I need my hard drive back! I've gone from about 100gb used to nearly 500 after experimenting. I'd really hate to undo all of my main instance's settings.

IainStinson

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 6:17 pm

It says in the manual that
Sample sets, temperaments, licenses, combination sets and organs created with the Custom Organ Design Module are automatically shared between all four {configurations}.

I assume that if you uninstall an organ from one configuration using the File | Un-install organ HW would remove the organ files from all configurations.

I have removed the organ cache files for all organs for a specific configuration by navigating to the cache files and deleting them. If you know the organ id for an instrument (look in the log file) you could remove the cache for that organ from a specific configuration. I'm pretty sure this would not be a "supported" action.

I'll be interested in what others say...

Iain

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 8:17 am

Hello Romanos,

Using the Organ | Uninstall... will remove *all* cache files for a given organ when you select the Organ: [Organ name] setting. If you want to only keep a particular cache file but remove others you would need to do this manually as Iain wrote above, however that's not something we support directly.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Romanos

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 8:47 am

Thanks, Brett. I suppose you might add that feature to the list of possible improvements (for the record, I positively love HW.)

mdyde

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 7:06 am

Hello Romanos,

Romanos wrote: I suppose you might add that feature to the list of possible improvements

Yes -- we do have that one logged as an enhancement request for the future.

One general point to add: when un-installing an organ Hauptwerk will specifically prompt you to ask whether you want to delete your settings and combinations for that organ. If you instead chose to keep them, then they would still be present if you subsequently re-installed the organ.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 1:48 pm

I've been freeing up cache disk space by uninstalling the organ (not the data or organ settings) as discussed above. But to restore the organ, it can be difficult to find the .rar that contains the ODF. The rar files aren't usually named to give a hint, and some samplesets have 10 or more rars.

Today I was watching disk space during a recaching operation and realized that, when you load the organ changing ranks..., the first thing it does after pressing Ok is delete the existing cache for the organ. Cancel it after 1 - 2% on the meter and the cache for that organ is gone without uninstalling anything or losing settings. It will recache the organ if you load it again -- in my case, after I free some cache disk space by uncaching another organ.

So now I can swap organs in and out on my puny 512GB cache SSD whenever I want, without having to reinstall anything. I'm juggling 30 samplesets and can only cache about 20 of them. Should stop buying!

Edit: Sorry, that was off topic. The title wasn't "How to delete caches but not uninstall ODFs."

joeroberts

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 2:43 pm

I simply keep a separate folder just for all my rar files (also a backup copy on a flash stick)....
So I can delete a whole organ to free up space...and maybe reinstall it (via the rar file) sometime later....
It also preserves your precious rar files in case of some unforeseen corruption/loss of the original organ....
:D

Return to Technical support