Search:
Submit Search

Changing MIDI device name without re-configuration

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.

Changing MIDI device name without re-configuration

Postby MellingG » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:41 am

Hello,

since many years I am a very happy Hauptwerk customer and I want to thank you for this wonderful product!
Due to a defect I had to exchange the main board of my Hauptwerk PC. Fortunately I could keep the existing Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit installation including all applications and particularly Hauptwerk. Unfortunately Windows identified some devices as new devices and re-installed some drivers. After re-installation of the sound card driver (RME HDSPe AIO) the sound device changed its name. In the old configuration the name of the sound card was "AIO", but now it is "3-AIO". In consequence Hauptwerk detects this change and asks for three options during start-up (Cancel launching Hauptwerk, Mark the missing device(s) as temporarily offline, Clear/default settings...).
I tried "Mark the missing device(s) as temporarily offline" and configured the new device within the audio and MIDI settings. Unfortunately after having loaded a sample set MIDI does not work. Generally the sound device seems to be recognized, because when clicking the organ keyboards by mouse I can hear the sound. But obviously the MIDI configuration is lost. Is there a chance to migrate the MIDI configuration to the new sound device name? I have got a lot of sample sets and a Hoffrichter console with stop switches so re-configuration would be a lot of work. Or does anybody know if and how the device name of the RME sound card could be changed?

Regards,
Guenther
MellingG

Re: Changing MIDI device name without re-configuration

Postby NickNelson » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:11 pm

Did you auto detect the keyboards again?

Nick
NickNelson

Postby MellingG » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:57 pm

Dear Nick,

yes I did auto detect the keyboards again for one of the sample sets. It worked but the stops still did not work. And this is exactly my Problem, I want to avoid a complete re-configuration if possible.

Guenther
MellingG

Postby mdyde » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:02 am

Hello Guenther,

Since the MIDI device/port names changed, you would need to auto-detect all of the stops and other controls again too (in addition to the keyboards). Hauptwerk has the MIDI port name stored in your settings for each previously-detected control (to allow for a computer having more than one MIDI device/port), so if the port name has changed then you need to configure everything again that used the renamed port again (i.e. auto-detect it again).

The only alternative might be to find some way to get the driver and/or Windows to change the name of the MIDI device names back again. It might be worth contacting RME to see whether they know of any, but I rather doubt it, since it's a PCIe device (as opposed to USB, for which plugging it into a different USB port might do it).

[If you're absolutely certain that you will never have more than one MIDI device/port connected to the PC, including USB-MIDI devices, then you could theoretically manually change the MIDI port settings for every control to 'Any enabled MIDI port', in case the problem recurs with a subsequent Windows update. However, that will probably take longer than auto-detecting everything again anyway. N.B. if you did that then it would be very important that you didn't subsequently connect a second MIDI device/port, otherwise you may get unexpected results due to ambiguity over the MIDI ports.]
Best regards,
Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

mdyde

Postby student » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:06 am

Hello Martin,

May I suggest an improvement to Hauptwerk to better handle the MIDI device renaming?
I guess a scheme where each MIDI device has a "labeled" alias would work.

Let's say I use auto-detect and Hauptwerk receives input from a MIDI device. It can ask the user to enter a label for the device, the user might enter "manual I" or "Yamaha Keyboard" or something similar. It could then save the map and bind the virtual organ controls to the alias (persistently) and at loading an organ will reconstruct the actual binding..

If Hauptwerk detects a mismatch in the saved map, it could offer an assistant (wizard) to remake the mappings. It could ask something like: please press some keys on the device called "Lower keyboard", then on the device called "Pedalboard" than on the device called "Stops Panel" (actually you would flip the stops).

The MIDI message flow will not change, only the way the software maps a MIDI device to a control in the virtual organ (via the alias mechanism) - I guess you get the idea...

I think this would be helpful to people affected by the naming changes.
student

Postby IainStinson » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:01 am

I think you can make changes to the midi input and or output device for a group of “stops / pistons” by selecting all the ones you wish to change on the Organ settings | Organ stops/Couplers… screen. On the PC you select the first one you wish to change (left click) move down the screen and select the last one to change by holding down shift and then left clicking, then change the midi port in (or midi port out) to the device you want to use now.

You probably need to start HW with the option to keep the “offline devices” so that the old devices (presented by the OS) are available in HW as well as the new devices. You may also need to enable the new devices on the General Settings | Midi ports screen.

When you are finished you may need to remove the old device names from HW using the Midi ports screen

This is not straight forwarded but I have used it when changing my midi controller.

You need to repeat this for each instrument / sample set you play. It is less work than redetecting everything.
If you try this take a HW backup first so you can at least get back to the state you are in now in case anything goes a miss.
Iain
IainStinson

Postby mdyde » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:36 am

student wrote:Hello Martin,

May I suggest an improvement to Hauptwerk to better handle the MIDI device renaming?
I guess a scheme where each MIDI device has a "labeled" alias would work.

Let's say I use auto-detect and Hauptwerk receives input from a MIDI device. It can ask the user to enter a label for the device, the user might enter "manual I" or "Yamaha Keyboard" or something similar. It could then save the map and bind the virtual organ controls to the alias (persistently) and at loading an organ will reconstruct the actual binding..

If Hauptwerk detects a mismatch in the saved map, it could offer an assistant (wizard) to remake the mappings. It could ask something like: please press some keys on the device called "Lower keyboard", then on the device called "Pedalboard" than on the device called "Stops Panel" (actually you would flip the stops).

The MIDI message flow will not change, only the way the software maps a MIDI device to a control in the virtual organ (via the alias mechanism) - I guess you get the idea...

I think this would be helpful to people affected by the naming changes.

Thanks for the suggestion. We do have an enhancement request logged for some means (wizards etc.) for allowing users to migrate settings from one MIDI device/port/name to another. I've added your notes to that enhancement request, so that they get considered too.
Best regards,
Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

mdyde

Postby MellingG » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:44 pm

Hello Martin,
hello Iain,

thank you for your information and suggestions. Iain your proposed way did not work for my installation, everything was greyed out relating to the MIDI device. I just decided to reconfigure the organ sample sets.

Best regards,
Guenther
MellingG

Return to Technical support