It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 pm

Multiple monitors and starting up Hauptwerk

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

jlefevre1

Multiple monitors and starting up Hauptwerk

PostMon Oct 03, 2016 10:54 am

Once I get it started up everything is fine. But sometime starting it up is a pain. Using a Mac Pro with 512 GB SSD hard drive and D500 graphics cards and 16 GB memory. Running lateset version of Yosemetie, 10.11.x. Using the St. Annes Organ. I have 3 12 inch ELO touch screens, Left Jamb, Right Jamb, and a misc for the recorder control and other things. The USB ports on the touch screens are all direct connected to the USB ports on the mac. The touch screens are VGA and connected to a thunderbolt to VGA adaptor for each one to the mac. I also have a HDMI 24 inch main screen with keyboard and mouse. If I do a cold boot of the Mac then I will alwasy get the left jamb touch screen to come up as the boot monitor during the initial power up until the OS gets to realize that the big main monitor is designated main and then it switches to it. I can then log in on the main monitor and all of them come up. Hauptwerk starts up automatically at this point. Even though Monitor 2 and 3 were checked in Hauptwerk when it was saved and shutdown, they frequently are now unchecked and the left and right Jamb have to be re-established. Also the the left jamb alwasy comes up with the touch part working but the right jamb and the other touch screen with the recorder have the touch controls disabled. If I unplug and replug the USB cables to those 2 touch screens then the touch function returns. Sometime I have to not only drag the left jamb display back to the left jamb touch screen but I also have to drag it to resize it to the full screen. Once I get everythign working and back in the right place, all is well..... Except if I do an actual shutdown, then I get to do it all over.

Next problem. Apparently the Mac does not reconignize the Hauptwerk software running and the organ being played as an activity. I say thins because the Organist usually logs in to the Mac ( it goes to sleep and logs out ) about 7:45 for the 8:00 service and then at about 10:45 the screens go to screen saver and if you dont grab a mouse and shake it then the computer logs out 5 minutes later. Really bad if you are playing as the audio freezes if a note was being played and just keeps sounding. Shaking the mouse or doing something like looking at system preferences does not reset the 3 hour time for display sleep either. Does Hauptwerk not send a message to the Mac OS somehow that hey, I am on , and keys are being pressed, and sound is being sent out the thunderbolt port to the audio interface, so that the display sleep timer will keep resetting. I hate to set the computer to sleep never and the displays to sleep never. But right now that looks like the only way to get it to not nod off during a performance. I currently have the display sleep set to 3 hours and all of the boxes under it were checked except the first one about not letting the computer sleep when the display sleeps. I have now checked that one. I notice in Sierra on another Mac that their are now sliders for both computer sleep and display sleep but I have not upgraded the Organ Mac to 10.12 yet, stil on 10.11.x.

Any ideas.

mdyde

Re: Multiple monitors and starting up Hauptwerk

PostMon Oct 03, 2016 12:37 pm

Hello James,

jlefevre1 wrote:Once I get it started up everything is fine. But sometime starting it up is a pain. Using a Mac Pro with 512 GB SSD hard drive and D500 graphics cards and 16 GB memory. Running lateset version of Yosemetie, 10.11.x. Using the St. Annes Organ. I have 3 12 inch ELO touch screens, Left Jamb, Right Jamb, and a misc for the recorder control and other things. The USB ports on the touch screens are all direct connected to the USB ports on the mac. The touch screens are VGA and connected to a thunderbolt to VGA adaptor for each one to the mac. I also have a HDMI 24 inch main screen with keyboard and mouse. If I do a cold boot of the Mac then I will alwasy get the left jamb touch screen to come up as the boot monitor during the initial power up until the OS gets to realize that the big main monitor is designated main and then it switches to it. I can then log in on the main monitor and all of them come up. Hauptwerk starts up automatically at this point. Even though Monitor 2 and 3 were checked in Hauptwerk when it was saved and shutdown, they frequently are now unchecked and the left and right Jamb have to be re-established. Also the the left jamb alwasy comes up with the touch part working but the right jamb and the other touch screen with the recorder have the touch controls disabled. If I unplug and replug the USB cables to those 2 touch screens then the touch function returns. Sometime I have to not only drag the left jamb display back to the left jamb touch screen but I also have to drag it to resize it to the full screen. Once I get everythign working and back in the right place, all is well..... Except if I do an actual shutdown, then I get to do it all over.

Hauptwerk just asks the operating system to put each console window wherever it was when you last closed Hauptwerk. The only thing I can suggest from the Hauptwerk end would be see whether instead launching Hauptwerk manually (rather than automatically) a while (say 15 seconds) after you've logged into OS X helps. Perhaps OS X hasn't finished initialising the display drivers/topology by the time OS X is launching Hauptwerk. If it does help, then on the 'General settings | General preferences | Advanced ...' screen tab in Hauptwerk you could try setting the 'Minimum time to wait on start-up' setting to (say) 15 seconds and then setting OS X to launch Hauptwerk automatically again, then see whether that extra delay works around it.

If neither of those solves it, then I don't know, I'm afraid; I'd suggest contacting Apple for support (and/or the makers of your touch-screens and/or their drivers). Hauptwerk itself can have no direct influence over the arrangement of OS X displays or whether touch-screens function properly.

jlefevre1 wrote:Next problem. Apparently the Mac does not reconignize the Hauptwerk software running and the organ being played as an activity. I say thins because the Organist usually logs in to the Mac ( it goes to sleep and logs out ) about 7:45 for the 8:00 service and then at about 10:45 the screens go to screen saver and if you dont grab a mouse and shake it then the computer logs out 5 minutes later. Really bad if you are playing as the audio freezes if a note was being played and just keeps sounding. Shaking the mouse or doing something like looking at system preferences does not reset the 3 hour time for display sleep either. Does Hauptwerk not send a message to the Mac OS somehow that hey, I am on , and keys are being pressed, and sound is being sent out the thunderbolt port to the audio interface, so that the display sleep timer will keep resetting. I hate to set the computer to sleep never and the displays to sleep never. But right now that looks like the only way to get it to not nod off during a performance. I currently have the display sleep set to 3 hours and all of the boxes under it were checked except the first one about not letting the computer sleep when the display sleeps. I have now checked that one. I notice in Sierra on another Mac that their are now sliders for both computer sleep and display sleep but I have not upgraded the Organ Mac to 10.12 yet, stil on 10.11.x.

Hauptwerk doesn't have specific functionality to ask the operating system not to go to sleep when Hauptwerk is running, although we do have an enhancement request logged to make Hauptwerk try to trap operating system sleep/wake events and to stop and re-start audio/MIDI automatically in response.

Some people have told us that sleeping/waking the computer when audio/MIDI are active gives them no problems, but some people do find problems. It probably depends upon the hardware and drivers being used. Most other audio software/hardware companies do recommend disabling operating system sleep, or rebooting the computer fully after waking. In general, my advice would be either to disable sleeping, or to make sure you exit Hauptwerk (or use 'Engine | Advanced | Stop audio/MIDI') before sleeping, and re-start Hauptwerk (or use 'Engine | Advanced | Start audio/MIDI') after waking it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

jlefevre1

Re: Multiple monitors and starting up Hauptwerk

PostMon Oct 03, 2016 2:38 pm

Thank you. I will try both of those ideas. Let you know how it turns out.

Return to Technical support