It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:30 pm

Windows 10 HW restart i.s.o. shutdown?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

wfveennl

Windows 10 HW restart i.s.o. shutdown?

PostMon Oct 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Hello,

I have Windows 10 Anniversary Edition installed with the latest version of HW. When I do a shutdown Pc from HW it does a restart instead. Can I change this somewhere myself in a config or other?

Best regards,

Willem.

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 HW restart i.s.o. shutdown?

PostMon Oct 03, 2016 3:16 pm

Hello Willem,

Are you sure you are are using the current version of Hauptwerk? This was a known bug in a previous version of Hauptwerk.

Please be sure that you have the latest version of Hauptwerk 4.2.1 installed then it should work properly. You can download v. 4.2.1 from our website at http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com.

I hope this helps.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

wfveennl

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 4:07 am

B. Milan wrote:Hello Willem,

Are you sure you are are using the current version of Hauptwerk? This was a known bug in a previous version of Hauptwerk.

Please be sure that you have the latest version of Hauptwerk 4.2.1 installed then it should work properly. You can download v. 4.2.1 from our website at http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check this week!

wfveennl

PostSat Oct 08, 2016 7:55 am

wfveennl wrote:
B. Milan wrote:Hello Willem,

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check this week!

Hi,

I downloaded and installed the latest version (upgrade file) but I got still the same problem running under Windows 10-64-Bit Anniversary edition.

Any other ideas?

Best regard,

Willem.

IainStinson

PostSat Oct 08, 2016 3:50 pm

On my HW 4.2.1.003 system I've just tried both Shutdown computer and Restart computer when running on a Windows 10 Pro 64 Anniversary edition system: both work correctly. Perhaps you've not installed HW 4.2.1. You can check the version running from Help|About Hauptwerk menu item.

Iain

wfveennl

PostMon Oct 10, 2016 2:32 pm

Well..... I did downloaded and installed this file: UpdateHauptwerk_v4.2.1.003.exe.

And I am sure I had this version installed earlier. I'll try a fresh install as soon as I have time.

mdyde

PostTue Oct 11, 2016 3:21 am

Hello Willem,

You don't need to do a fresh install -- you should just need to see whether you're actually already using v4.2.1 (use 'Help | About Hauptwerk' within Hauptwerk to check), and if not then exit Hauptwerk and run the v4.2.1 to upgrade your existing installation to v4.2.1.

Then launch Hauptwerk and select 'File | Shut computer computer down' in Hauptwerk to test it. Does the PC shut down properly?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

wfveennl

PostTue Oct 11, 2016 3:06 pm

Dear Martin,

I do actually have version 4.2.1.003 installed. I downloaded it earlier, bought the license in August and installed the update UpdateHauptwerk_v4.2.1.003.exe over top to make sure. With the same result, no shut down but a restart. I wish it were different. It is not a major issue, just too bad it does not work.

Best regards,

Willem.

jbittner

PostTue Oct 11, 2016 4:30 pm

I have Windows 10 Anniversary edition. No problem shutting down from the Hauptwerk menu.
John B.
Allen 965 MOS 2
Zuma Group MOS-2 Midi Keyboard Encoder
Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
Hauptwerk 4.2
Major I ACO
Paramount 320
Father Willis Standard 80

IainStinson

PostTue Oct 11, 2016 6:14 pm

Does you system Shutdown correctly from outside Hauptwerk?

There seems to have been some issues for with some systems with Shutdown on Windows 10 about a year ago according to Google.

Owen Jones

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 11:01 am

wfveennl wrote:Dear Martin,

I do actually have version 4.2.1.003 installed. I downloaded it earlier, bought the license in August and installed the update Update Hauptwerk_v4.2.1.003.exe over top to make sure. With the same result, no shut down but a restart. I wish it were different. It is not a major issue, just too bad it does not work.

Best regards,

Willem.

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6984#p49193
I had this problem with a ASUSTeK ASUS mobo(P5KC), now used in the studio to edit config files.
it was some years ago and there was a setting in the PC settings which would not let the PC shut down. I might have posted this in the forum; will have a look.

This is a post from Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:54 am

I have had similar problems with ASUS mobos, they would go to sleep and I couldn't wake them up; leave the organ on all day and go to play it later... nothing!
I have reverted back to gigabyte mobos; no more problems. Check your PC power management and CPU parking settings especially with ASUS mobos; this has been dealt with in other threads on the forum.
One annoying issue with the ASUS P5KC mobo; it would not shut down completely.

Many things can cause locking up; fluctuation in the Mains power supply and a UPS would be an advantage.
In a church; switching heavy current units can cause spikes in the mains; air-conditioning; heating, lighting
House the PC in properly cooled rack mounting case e.g; 4U22ATX 4U Rack-mount Case; the power supply wattage should calculated to be able to supply the current required
I use one of these;
http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/info/AL-CSR-4U22ATX/1252/

Of course many other things to consider.

Good luck

Owen

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:46 am

organtechnology wrote:
I have an 8GB Quad core PC running HW3.30 that will not shut off as directed. It turns off and then a few seconds later comes back on and reboots as though it was doing a restart. Anyone know which flag I have set wrong and where it is?

Pax,

Thomas

There is a problem with some motherboards; mine is an ASUS P5KC and there seems to be some trouble like this after upgrading to WIN7.

something about ASUS P5KC:
Cons: This motherboard has a big problem running numerous makes of 8500 (1066 MHz) RAM. Checkout their support forums (ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum-) to see all the people with 8500 ram having to run it at DDR2-6400 (800Mhz) speed for it to run stable!

Overall: Misleading advertising for ASUS to claim it supports DDR2-8500 (1066) when it doesn't. Hopefully this will be fixed in future BIOS release, but its looking doubtful given ASUS's lack of reply to the numerous support tickets/complaints about the misleading RAM support.
Sorry here is the link to the above.
ASUSP5KC Motherboards Reviews Australia http://www.asus.com.au

Sun July 04, 2010 11:59 pm
WIN 7 64 would not shut-down; screen would go black however the pilot light and HDDs and CPU fans still running. I had to push the on/off button for the usual 8 seconds for the thing to shut down completely. Everything was fine until I upgraded to WIN7/64.

I have been looking for a solution to this problem for months.

Hope this is of some help.

NickNelson

PostSun Oct 16, 2016 12:13 pm

May not be relevant, but my system started doing this immediately after I installed the FCA610 USB driver.

Back to normal after uninstalling it.

Above holds true whether HW running or not, so probably a hardware/OS issue.

An interesting example of 'thread convergance'.

When/if I work out a cure, I'll report back.

Nick

wfveennl

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Owen Jones wrote:
wfveennl wrote:Dear Martin,

I do actually have version 4.2.1.003 installed. I downloaded it earlier, bought the license in August and installed the update Update Hauptwerk_v4.2.1.003.exe over top to make sure. With the same result, no shut down but a restart. I wish it were different. It is not a major issue, just too bad it does not work.

Best regards,

Willem.

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6984#p49193
I had this problem with a ASUSTeK ASUS mobo(P5KC), now used in the studio to edit config files.
it was some years ago and there was a setting in the PC settings which would not let the PC shut down. I might have posted this in the forum; will have a look.

I've got a brand new ASROCK Extreme 4/3.1. This week it did once a proper shutdown from within Hauptwerk, a couple days later it does the same thing again. The thing is that is does do a shutdown but a couple seconds later it starts right up again, which is different form a restart.

I siuppose it is something in the MOBO

We are able to get to the moon and back again but some simple things seem to be a huge problem.

magnaton

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 2:30 pm

Hello:

Forgive me if you looked into this already, but have you checked the BIOS settings in your MOBO regarding power up and power down options?

Most modern Mobo have a BIOS setting on what to do for loss of power: Stay shut down when A/C is restored or power back up. Could it be that its getting confused thinking the HW shut down is a loss of power condition so it shuts down then immediately realizes that power is 'restored' so it starts up again.

For what it's worth, I have a relatively new MSI Gaming Mobo and an older Dell desktop computer, both work fine with the HW shutdown option.

Danny B.

wfveennl

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 1:22 pm

I changed the setting in the UEFI but that did not make a difference. Maybe we should get a menu option with the option to put in our own macro for shutdown, then you can play with the settings because a "normal" shutdown via Windows does work.
Next

Return to Technical support