It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:11 pm

Hauptwerk makes a loud Noise, and then Shut's Down

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

TheOrganDoc

Hauptwerk makes a loud Noise, and then Shut's Down

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Recently about Once a week whilst playing, I get a Loud Noise,
followed by a "Hauptwerk total shutdown" but The computer is still up and running and my "Steinway sample set is still running", I then click HW's start button with mouse, HW starts, runs, and Plays beautifully as before.
"> Any Ideas < ? ? ?" Thank you, Mel :roll:
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

csw900

Re: Hauptwerk makes a loud Noise, and then Shut's Down

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 1:16 pm

I would guess its a hardware problem causing Hauptwerk to crash. This would
not necessarily affect other running programs, as your narrative suggests.

It could be intermittent, may be a bad contact. Vibrations from your speakers may be
triggering it. Why don't you give the computer a good hard thump next time it seems
to be running OK -- see what happens.

Have you tested your computer's memory recently?

csw900

mdyde

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 4:56 am

Hello Mel,

Assuming you're running the current version of Hauptwerk (v4.2.1, which has no known bugs that can cause crashes -- check via 'Help | About Hauptwerk' in Hauptwerk), then a Hauptwerk crash will almost certainly be due either to:

1. An audio or MIDI driver crashing, or losing its connection to its hardware device (e.g. due to a USB power issue, or contention for it from other software). This is by far the most common cause of crashes. You mention that you're also using a Steinway sample set (which must be running in other software, since there aren't any Steinway sample sets for Hauptwerk). Note that many audio and MIDI drivers can't reliably be in use by more than one application at a time, so you would normally need any given audio interface and MIDI port to be active in either one application or the other at any given time, not both.

2. A MIDI feedback loop. Hauptwerk tries to detect such loops (by sending and listening for a special MIDI sys-ex message) and warn about them, although people often disable the pop-up warning (but it will still be reported in the log). It's very easy accidentally to end up connecting MIDI cables (and especially virtual ones) in a configuration that causes a MIDI loop when connecting multiple pieces of MIDI software together.

3. A computer hardware fault (e.g. a RAM board) or a Windows fault, or a fault in some other low-level software (e.g. a driver or virus scanner). Hauptwerk uses more RAM than most other applications, so a RAM fault might not so easily/often be noticed in non-Hauptwerk use, but other hardware/Windows/driver faults would be fairly likely to cause crashes in other applications too.

Please first make absolutely certain:

- That you're running the current version of Hauptwerk (v4.2.1), and:

- That you don't have any given audio or MIDI device/port enabled in both Hauptwerk and your Steinway player application, and:

- That you don't have any MIDI feedback loops or warnings about MIDI feedback (e.g. check in the Hauptwerk log via 'Help | View activity log').

If that doesn't solve it, then if you want to send us a diagnostic file ('Help | Create a diagnostic file' to: https://www.hauptwerk.com/forms/support/ ) we could have a look to see whether we can spot anything that gives any clues.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Owen Jones

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 10:53 am

TheOrganDoc wrote:Recently about Once a week whilst playing, I get a Loud Noise,
followed by a "Hauptwerk total shutdown" but The computer is still up and running and my "Steinway sample set is still running", I then click HW's start button with mouse, HW starts, runs, and Plays beautifully as before.
"> Any Ideas < ? ? ?" Thank you, Mel :roll:

Check all plugs and cables; check device manager. do a memory diagnosis.
Defraq Hard Disk drives.
Latest drivers for the audio and MIDI interface.

IMO I would update to Windows 7/64. XP is getting a bit old in the tooth.

organsRgreat

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 11:59 am

Slightly off-topic, but I'd be interested to know how you run a Steinway sample player along with Hauptwerk, and which one you use. Are you running something like Reaper to control everything?

TheOrganDoc

Playing a Piano Sample Set, along With Hauptwerk

PostFri Nov 04, 2016 3:06 pm

I purchased the, VI Steinway Grand Sample set, and then downloaded it's free UVI workstation and it's virtual dongle into my HW Computer, then downloaded and installed (free) JBridge as it's Midi Link.

"Ninety nine % of the time" everything loads properly, and the Piano, and Paramount play along together Beautifully.
Possibly once every two months while playing, Hauptwerk will Burp and then shut down,
I only have to restart Hauptwerk, to resume playing both my P-3/32 with the Steinway.

(I suspect the Firewire cable, on my FP10 sound board, as it has never had too solid a connection
and would crash HW, if touched accidentally !)

By the way, I found out about using JBridge,
"from one of Our Most Accomplished Artists", as he uses it constantly,
and is a very highly acclaimed Pianist, as well as an Amazing Organ Artist !

Note, I gave up on utilizing a workstation for Reverb,
since I bought a Lexicon mx400, and I am mostly happy with it !

I also reconfigured my Hauptwerk sound set up, so as to have eight Separate outputs,
going to eight Separate Speakers, I Sent different Ranks to Separate Speakers,
Believe it or not after level adjustments, Even my Headphone mix is much more realistic?

As an added bonus, when Playing Large Combon's, I always had the usual lack of clarity,
This is gone now, Even at Full Organ !

organsRgreat wrote:Slightly off-topic, but I'd be interested to know how you run a Steinway sample player along with Hauptwerk, and which one you use. Are you running something like Reaper to control everything?
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Return to Technical support