It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 am

Transfering to WIndows from MacPro

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

johnstump_organist

Transfering to WIndows from MacPro

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 6:17 pm

This morning my MacPro refused to start :cry: :evil: :mrgreen:
SO I am trying to get up and running using my Dell Precision Laptop with Touchscreen.
I found the windows drivers for my EMu 0404, which I've been using for my earphone amp, figuring I would mostly practice with earphones or two channels until I get the MacPro repaired, or Replaced, (all charitable donations appreciated :D )
I have windows 7 Professional with service pack 1 - I hesitate to uopgrade WIndows as there is always a warning about the touchscreen driver not being compalible with later versions of Windows.
32 gig of Ram and a terbyte hard drive.
I put in the dongle, it found and installed drivers,
I started HW, it saw and accepted the EMU 0404, St. Annes loads and then the computer freezes, Ctrl, alt del will not bring up the task manager, touch screen doesn;t respond, mouse is frozen, etc. I have to do Power-off reboot.
I had used HW in evaulation mode on this computer with a keyboard and a Saffire Scarlett Audio interface.
Any Suggestions welcome as to how to proceed.
I was wondering if un-installing HW and reinstallilng would help? Or if it is a dongle problem.
No pressure, but I do have 8 concerts coming up at the end of Nov/ beginning of Dec. - 5 of them on Baroque Manual only Mexican instruments, so I can practice on the keyboard, but the three in Dec are my Christmas concerts for this year on Multiple manual and pedal organs.
John

engrssc

Re: Transfering to WIndows from MacPro

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 8:00 pm

Check the power supply on the Mac Pro. Just replaced one on a friend's machine. Everything else was ok. I wanted to take the p/s along and find out exactly what failed, but he said :"Don't bother".so I may never know. I suspected the p/s because there has been a certain slight odor coming from the Mac recently plus he kept it powered up 24/7 which shouldn't have been a problem, but. :o

Ever hear that phrase - nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong Then there's always "Murphy's Law" which has as a corollary something to the effect that problems always occur at the least opportune time: :shock:

Rgds,
Ed

johnstump_organist

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 10:00 pm

I don't think it is the powr suply on the Mac. It does start makes the mac Tadashi sound, the Apple appears on the monitor and then it quits.
The problem with the pc seems to be the EMU 0404, IF I use the built in sound card of the laptop or the Scarlett, and the EMU for the Midi , HW starts, but I have no Midi from the console.
Tomorrow I'm off to try and find a Midi port device, my failing audio fire is fire wire only and the Scarlett has no midi port, so for now I can't get the console talking to the PC.
John
Last edited by johnstump_organist on Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

kwbmusic

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 3:16 am

Had to abandon my EMU0404 USB when I transferred from Windows 7 to 8.1, or was it to windows 10. anyway no drivers were available.
Keith

mdyde

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 6:59 am

johnstump_organist wrote:The problem with the pc seems to be the EMU 0404, IF I use the built in sound card of the laptop or the Scarlett, and the EMU for the Midi , HW starts, but I have no Midi from the console.
Tomorrow I'm off to try and find a Midi port device, my failing audio fire is fire wire only and the Scarlett has no midi port, so for now I can't get the console talking to the PC.

Hello John,

Sorry to hear about the ailing Mac Pro and EMU, but at least you've managed to pin-point the problem device now on the PC. Some good-quality MIDI interfaces that might be candidates:

http://motu.com/products/midi/lite
http://motu.com/products/midi/128
http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/midisport-4x4-anniversary-edition
http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/midisport-2x2-anniversary-edition
http://www.emu.com/index.php/product-emu-xmidi-2x2
https://www.roland.com/global/products/um-one_mk2/
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

johnstump_organist

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 3:09 pm

Thanks Martin,
I intend to pick one of those up when I go New York at the end of the month, along with my new RME 802.
Good news on the Mac, I found a local tech who tested it all out, and decided the hard disk had probably crashed. He asked if it was OK to reformat it on another machine, I said yes if it got my machine back and running. He did and the macpro is back and working as of today, of course I now need to reinstall everything, but that is a minor annoyance in comparison to the prospect of having to replace it. I may pick up a replacement HD as well while I'm in NY, so if it crashes again I can just replace it
John

engrssc

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Wouldn't it be safer to just replace the HD as they are not that expensive. Just thinking the original problem that caused the crash might still be there?

Rgds,
Ed

johnstump_organist

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 12:04 am

Yes, I think I will do that. Part of the problem is getting the right one at the right price here in México. While labor is relatively cheap, imported electronics can cost up to 50% more than in states, if you can locate the part you want. Will definitely pick up new one when I'm in NY.

JOHN

engrssc

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 11:30 am

The beauty :) of setting up a Raid system is (obviously) no down time while replacing a single HDD.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Technical support