It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:58 pm

Computer starts but hauptwerk does not load-screen is black

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

JACQUES

Computer starts but hauptwerk does not load-screen is black

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 8:39 pm

MY COMPUTER STARTS...FAN IN RUNNING, YOU CAN HEAR IT...

SCREEN LIGHTS UP...(SO THERE IS POWER)...AND THEN GOES BLACK...I PRESUME THAT EITHER WINDOWS OR HAUPTWERK ARE NOT LOADING...

any idea please !

i have no keyboard...

with mouse i can not do a thing on a black screen...

csw900

Re: Computer starts but hauptwerk does not load-screen is bl

PostMon Nov 21, 2016 3:32 am

It would seem that Windows is not booting properly.

You will not be able to diagnose anything without a working keyboard and mouse
so getting these is first priority.

Do the BIOS boot messages show on the screen? If not you have a serious hardware
problem which you will probably not be able to repair yourself. You will first need to
open up the case and test the power supply voltages -- just because the fans run
does not mean all is well with the power supply,

To get any further I would need more information about exactly what happens when you
try to start the system. If Windows does not run then the problem is nothing
to do with Hauptwerk.

csw900

JACQUES

PostMon Nov 21, 2016 6:00 am

Hi csw900

Thanks a lot

As I am not a computer person, it was set up in a way that once you push the power it goes 'authomatically' to hauptwerk where I could chose the sample to be loaded

RIght now it does not go there; the screen lights up and then goes 'black'

Yes I presume that the windows is not booting; question is why ?

Will try to do what you say, but next question, IF it is a hardware problem, what could it be ?

Maybe the RAM broke ? Or ?

With regard to power, I doubt there is a problem; aside of fan all lights, piston lights and all other things do have power supply

Thanks again

j

csw900

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 3:26 am

I am assuming you have checked that the monitor is connected to the computer --
check this connection. Even if the wire is in place move the connectors about a bit as
there may be a bad contact. Does this affect what is displayed at all?

The best way to test the monitor is to connect it to another working computer and see
if it displays correctly.

Regarding power I am talking about the power supply inside the computer this will
be supplying +5V and +12V and possibly other voltages to the motherboard. This
is the most likely component to fail and cause the results you are getting.

The symptoms you describe indicate that there has been a major hardware failure
in the computer such as the power supply. If this is OK and you will not know until
you have opened up the computer case and checked the voltages with a voltmeter
there are a multitude of other defects which will stop the computer from working.

The graphics card or area is the second most likely area at fault.

csw900

JACQUES

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi csw900 !

A really strange situation is happening !

All checked and connected ok - no power supply failure !

Got an error message (self-fixed) by Windows...!

Some days all worked OK...!

Problem appeared again (exactly as described) and after a couple of days trying to start the organ, an error message came on the screen saying that there is a USB-Midi connection with a problem...!

Suddenly all is working OK, except when I load a very big sample which, if I do, have the risk of not being able to restart the organ again for a while...!

Need someone who could buy (I eventually could) and replace that USB thing...and try to see if that is the real problem...!

Any idea is more than welcome !

Thanks !

J

mdyde

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 1:49 pm

Hello Jaques,

Thanks for the continued interest in Hauptwerk.

With regard to problem you mention, if I understand correctly you have Windows launching Hauptwerk automatically when the PC boots, but the issue you're now having is that sometimes your USB-MIDI interface isn't being found when Hauptwerk launches. If so, that will almost certainly just be because Windows, when booting, is sometimes launching Hauptwerk before Windows has finished loading the relevant driver, resulting in the device appearing not to be present at the moment that Hauptwerk launches.

In that case, please go to the 'General settings | General preferences | Advanced ...' screen tab in Hauptwerk, and try setting the 'Minimum time to wait on start-up (seconds)' setting to about 15. That will make Hauptwerk wait for a while as it launches, to give extra time for Windows to finishing booting all of the drivers.

Could I also just check whether you're evaluating Hauptwerk with a view to purchasing a licence, or just planning to use the Free Edition? (Either is of course absolutely fine, but if it the latter then we'll move this topic into the 'Free Edition' section of the forum -- we don't provide technical support officially for the Free Edition, but we try to help out a little there anyway, and other Hauptwerk users might be able to help you.) Many thanks.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JACQUES

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 3:23 pm

Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot for your swift reply !

I am not a computer person, so will have to ask a friend of mine who helps me with the issue to double check what you said.

Because not being a computer person, yes, you are correct, it is set so all launches authomatically to make my life easier.

I will ask him to check what you kindly describe, before doing any hardware change, to see if that solves the problem.

Once we do the checking I could also let you know the version of Hauptwerk I have, which, certainly, is paid for and a professional one (not free); last time I knew it was 4 or 4,1 so I will find out that information as well.

Between Hauptwerk, samples and all what I have, spend an arm and a leg in the whole setting; very happy and hopefully solving the inconvenience soon.

Thanks again and best regards,

J

mdyde

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 5:27 am

Thanks, Jacques.

My apologies -- I didn't realise you already had a licence for Hauptwerk. (I think it must have been registered to a different email address.)

JACQUES wrote:Once we do the checking I could also let you know the version of Hauptwerk I have, which, certainly, is paid for and a professional one (not free); last time I knew it was 4 or 4,1 so I will find out that information as well.

If the version you're running is less than the current one (v4.2.1), then please also ask your friend to upgrade it to the current version (v4.2.1: http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/ ), which has lots of enhancements and fixes above earlier versions (and is a free upgrade for you since you already have a v4 licence). To upgrade, just exit Hauptwerk, then run the downloaded v4.2.1 installer, install the current version of the USB key driver for good measure, then reboot.
Best regards, Martin.

JACQUES

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 7:54 am

Thanks a lot Martin !

I will share your information with my friend after holidays and set a date to see if the current problem is fixed and also if he is able to upgrade the Hauptwerk, which I don't think is 4.2.1 yet.

A concern is that he is a computer person, but does not come from the music world; so a basic question is if after upgrading Hauptwerk all the remaining of the system (i.e. Windows, computer and sound processor and sample sets) will work with the actual settings or if a 'chain' of upgrades will be necessary to update the whole thing ?

Thanks again and best regards,

J

mdyde

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 8:20 am

Hello Jacques,

Upgrading Hauptwerk shouldn't, in itself, cause any settings, combinations, or anything else to be lost. (It's always good practice to use 'File | Backup ...' in Hauptwerk first though, for good measure.)

Also as a matter of good practice, I'd recommend asking your friend to make sure that all available Windows updates are applied, and that you have the latest versions of the drivers installed for your hardware, especially audio/MIDI interface(s). Check on their manufacturers' websites for the latest driver versions.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support