It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 am

Launchpad Mk2

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

kdt63

Launchpad Mk2

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 2:18 pm

I have 2 Launchpad Mk 2s, Hwk 4 and a Windows 8 PC. Keyboard events and expression pedal events are communicated by 2 separate USB devices. Following a period of instabilty with cyphers and random events on the stops, I reset HWK to Factory Defaults, applied the latest Update (4.2.1.003(2), and re-entered the stops for St Etienne and Hereford XL. The latest faults to arise on St Etienne are: The stops toggle the GENERAL CANCEL button (not the RG button). On one occasion one of the Launchpads was not found on start-up. Some stops although working properly on the Launchpad and the PC Monitor, produce no sound. Any ideas?

murph

Re: Launchpad Mk2

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi,
it's quite possibly a power issue with the launchpads. They need lots of it, which the motherboard may not be able to provide. Putting them on a powered USB hub should help.
Or, if this is already done, ignore me.

mdyde

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 5:30 am

If the buttons/stops are behaving erratically from one press to the next then I agree -- that does strongly suggest a power supply issue (or other USB issue).

Also make sure that all power-saving options in Windows and the PC's motherboard are completely disabled, to try to make sure that Windows doesn't try to put anything to sleep (especially USB devices).

I'd also recommend keeping MIDI interfaces/devices (if more than one) attached at all times via a good-quality (e.g. Belkin) *powered* USB hub to try to ensure that Windows doesn't swap the USB devices around (which seems to be much less likely if they're attached via a USB hub, and if you avoid plugging anything else into the hub or changing any connections on it).

If Hauptwerk reports that any MIDI devices are missing when it launches then choose the option to exit and try to resolve the problem before launching Hauptwerk again (e.g. by unplugging the USB device and plugging it in again).

Note also that Hauptwerk itself doesn't support 'hot-plugging', so you definitely need to make sure that all relevant audio/MIDI/USB interfaces are connected and powered up before Hauptwerk queries them (which it does when it launches) and that they stay connected and powered up whilst Hauptwerk is running. If you have Hauptwerk launching automatically when the computer boots, and if the operating system is launching Hauptwerk before the drivers/hardware have finished initialising, then on the 'General settings | General preferences | Advanced ...' screen tab in Hauptwerk you could try setting the 'Minimum time to wait on start-up' setting to (say) 15 seconds, to allow a bit more time before Hauptwerk starts fully and queries the devices.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

kdt63

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Thanks Martin and Murph for your suggestions. I'll apply your suggestions one at time until hopefully the system is stablised.

Return to Technical support