It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:35 am

Adding pistons to existing sample sets

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Rimokatolik

Adding pistons to existing sample sets

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 1:56 pm

I am using Hautpwerk with Reaper. One of the reasons is to be able to use VSTs for orchestral instruments as organ stops. Unfortunately Reaper does not support MIDI touch pads nicely as Hautpwerk does, so I would like to assign some buttons on my MIDI touch pads to pistons that will do nothing in Hauptwerk, but will do actions in Reaper through ReaLearn. Essentially I will get orchestral stops in existing organ. I can do that with Szczecinek sample set (http://piotrgrabowski.pl/szczecinek.html) as it has 2 free combinations in old way, so I have many pistons that I am actually not going to use in HW, as I can use HW internal combination system. But, now, in order to use other sample sets in this way I would need to add some pistons without any function in HW, all I need to get is on/off state. Can somebody help me how to do that? I am fine with manually editing XML files or whatever needed. It is my installation I can messy it up :-)

mnailor

Re: Adding pistons to existing sample sets

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 2:14 pm

Do Hauptwerk's master general and scoped pistons support sending a MIDI output that could be used for this? Then you wouldn't have to add pistons to the sampleset.

Rimokatolik

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 3:42 pm

I don't think I can use generals as they always affect state of all stops, but scoped ones are good idea. I just need to check if I don't assign anything to scoped piston, does it keep on/off state and shows it on MIDI touchpad. Thank you very much for idea.

mdyde

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 6:10 am

[Topic moved here.]

Hello Rimokatolik,

Yes -- I too would suggest looking at Hauptwerk's master scoped pistons. You could just leave their scopes set to nothing (their defaults), so that they wouldn't affect any stops in Hauptwerk. However, note also that they wouldn't then produce any MIDI output (since they only light up when their stored registrations are non-blank and match the current registration within their scopes), so I don't know whether they would actually be useful for your intended purpose (if that requires MIDI output from them).

There are no virtual combination pistons or stops in Hauptwerk specifically and only for the purpose of sending MIDI output to control external hardware/software (although we do have that logged as an enhancement request).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Rimokatolik

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Thank you. I have tried and I could not get it working. When stop is selected then in large panel Audio, MIDI and performance, 2 blue lights in Sequencer MIDI out light up - main one and one on specific MIDI channel, but when I press combination piston from the organ then only main blue light lights up, but no MIDI channel. Hauptwerk's generals and scoped do not produce anything on the sequencer MIDI out. What does it mean when sequencer MIDI out only main light lights up, but no MIDI channel light?

Rimokatolik

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 1:21 pm

So in the worst case I guess the only option for me would be to add real stops with silence in wav files?

mdyde

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 2:09 pm

Hello Rimokatolik,

Rimokatolik wrote:When stop is selected then in large panel Audio, MIDI and performance, 2 blue lights in Sequencer MIDI out light up - main one and one on specific MIDI channel, but when I press combination piston from the organ then only main blue light lights up, but no MIDI channel. Hauptwerk's generals and scoped do not produce anything on the sequencer MIDI out. What does it mean when sequencer MIDI out only main light lights up, but no MIDI channel light?

That means that only MIDI sys-ex messages (which aren't channel-specific) are being sent. They almost certainly wouldn't be useful to you, I'm afraid. If needed, you can check what messages each virtual control will send via the 'Sequencer MIDI OUT' port using the 'Recording | View MIDI recorder/player/sequencer MIDI implementation (for this organ)' menu function.

Rimokatolik wrote:o in the worst case I guess the only option for me would be to add real stops with silence in wav files?

If you're creating a CODM organ for your own purposes then you could potentially just add a Stop entry for each desired external (VST orchestral) sound. You wouldn't have to link to any ranks/pipes (i.e. just avoid creating any StopRank entries for it), but It would then be stored/recalled in Hauptwerk's combination system along with other stop states, which I would imagine you would want. Alternatively (if creating your own CODM organ) you could set up ExternalRank entries (with their corresponding Stop and StopRank entries) for each external sound, then configure MIDI from them via the 'Organ settings | Advanced MIDI ... | Direct MIDI input/output for ranks/pipes' screen.

If using an existing (non-CODM) sample set, then you could potentially just dedicate some of its existing virtual stops for controlling your external sounds, avoiding loading those virtual ranks into memory (via 'Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio/memory options/routing').
Best regards, Martin.

Rimokatolik

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 12:37 pm

Wow! This is amazing. Thank you for input. I was trying to do many things and it is hard to understand native xml file without documentation, and even Hauptwerk was crashing. After thinking about your advice I got to the minimum needed, all I need to do is in the original definition file add following

<o><a>999000</a><c>2601</c><b>my VST stop</b></o>

on the end of the section

<ObjectList ObjectType="Switch">

and set MIDI button in Organ settings\Stop/coupler/tremulant switches and pistons/buttons.

Perfect! Thank you so much! Now I need to figure out how to pass info back to Hauptwerk from Reaper if I do action there that toggles state of the virtual stop.

mdyde

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 5:41 am

Hello Rimokatolik,

I've emailed you a copy of the sample set creator's documentation (which we make available upon request to licensed users) that covers the organ definition format, as well as how to enable/disable XML auto-compacting.

We don't officially support editing the 'full-format' organ definitions, though, so you do that at your own risk (and you can certainly crash or freeze Hauptwerk by doing it incorrectly, as you found out, especially since it doesn't normally validate things within a full-format organ definition unless told to, in order that organs can load quickly). Note also that if you make any edits to organ definitions then you must do so in a renamed copy of the file (not the original, which would be likely to be overwritten by Hauptwerk's component installer) and you would probably want to assign your new files different OrganIDs in the 800000-899999 'user range' so that they have independent settings and voicing from their originals.

Hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.

Rimokatolik

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 3:37 pm

Thank you very much. That will be helpful. For now this works well.

mdyde

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 5:08 am

Thanks. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support