It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am

Using a Novation Launchpad pro to control stops?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

va3ets

Using a Novation Launchpad pro to control stops?

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi, I'm totally blind here, and in my research, it even says in the Hauptwerk users guide, that a Novation Launchpad pro, is recommended as a good alternative to touch screens for control of stops, couplers etc. I've looked online, but I can't find any sort of documentation on using this device with Hauptwerk, rather than using touch screen displays. So how do I go about getting this device working in conjunction with Hauptwerk? Do I have to manually, go in and map each stop, coupler or control individually that I want to a button on the launchpad? That'd be a lengthy process especially for bigger sample sets. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Any documentation I can find, discusses using the launchpad with software such as Ableton Live, or Logic Pro X, which are both DAWS, rather than software like Hauptwerk.

mdyde

Re: Using a Novation Launchpad pro to control stops?

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 1:40 pm

Hello va3ets,

Hauptwerk does have native support for the original Launchpad models (including control of their buttons' internal lamps). To configure that, you would normally right-click on the desired virtual stop select 'auto-detect' and then follow the on-screen instructions in the wizard to press and release the button on your Launchpad that you wish to map to that virtual stop. That would need to be done separately for each stop that you wanted to map to a Launchpad button.

However, since right-clicking on the virtual stops (which are graphical) probably isn't feasible for you if you have no sight, then you would instead need to do it by going to the 'Organ settings | Stop/coupler/tremulant switches and pistons/buttons' screen (from the main menu, with the organ loaded), then navigating to the desired stop by name in the (left-hand) browse list of stops, then pressing its 'Auto-detect' button (which is in the right-hand pane).

Novation actullay changed their MIDI implementation a bit with their 'Mark 2' models (including the Launchpad Pro), and Hauptwerk doesn't yet have full support for that. However, my understanding from Launchpad Pro users is that the Launchpad Pro buttons do still work with Hauptwerk's auto-detection, except that their buttons might not light up in the intended colours:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15809&p=118593
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14814&p=110504

... but that probably wouldn't be an issue for a non-sighted person.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

va3ets

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 10:37 pm

Thanks for that, Martin. Do i have to go into general settings, and tell Hauptwerk that I'm using a launchpad? In the initial setup, there was a question something to the affect of, "Does your console have midi controlled stops,? Or something like that. We selected no, at this point, as if I selected yes, there were some options for the Launchpad in there, which were Launchpad pro, stand alone port, Launchpad pro, live port, and Launchpad pro midi ports. We tried selecting the first two, and on either of them, Hauptwerk would hang, when loading an organ. So do I have to tell Hauptwerk that my midi console has midi controlled stop controls? And select Launchpad pro midi port? The launchpad has midi in and midi out ports on it, in order for it to work optimally, do I have to have any midi cables connected to it? Or can i just use it connected over uSB?

Frank-Evans

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 11:39 pm

For what its worth.... It has been a couple of years since I used a Launch Pad... When I did I found uit was necessary to load the usb driver for the pad before it would be recognized by Hauptwerk... The driver only, none of the Novation software was needed. Since the disks that I had were for XP (I believe) I went tot he web site for newer drivers....
Regards
Frank

engrssc

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 2:29 am

Using Win 7 & and Mac OS X 10.8, I've not needed to use any Novation software.

I should clarify that. The driver, yes, but Novation also has software that is used by DJ's and others. That is the software I was referring to above and do not use.

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 6:15 am

Hello va3ets,

I don't actually have a Launchpad Pro myself, so I can't comment with certainty on what MIDI ports (or port names) it might present, although I do have an original ('Mark 1' Launchpad).

va3ets wrote: In the initial setup, there was a question something to the affect of, "Does your console have midi controlled stops,? Or something like that. We selected no

That question on the initial General Configuration Wizard (which runs automatically the first time that you launch Hauptwerk) was effectively asking whether to enable MIDI output. Selecting 'no' (as you did) would probably be best in your specific case, since you wouldn't need MIDI output from Hauptwerk to control the Launchpad Pro's button lamps.

va3ets wrote:The launchpad has midi in and midi out ports on it, in order for it to work optimally, do I have to have any midi cables connected to it? Or can i just use it connected over uSB?

I would expect either to be fine, but just using the USB cable is probably the simplest and should be adequate, so my recommendation would be to do that (unless you specifically needed very long cable runs, for example).

va3ets wrote:We selected no, at this point, as if I selected yes, there were some options for the Launchpad in there, which were Launchpad pro, stand alone port, Launchpad pro, live port, and Launchpad pro midi ports. We tried selecting the first two, and on either of them, Hauptwerk would hang, when loading an organ. So do I have to tell Hauptwerk that my midi console has midi controlled stop controls? And select Launchpad pro midi port?

As Frank mentioned, before launching Hauptwerk, make sure that the latest version of Novation's Launchpad Pro driver is installed:

https://uk.novationmusic.com/launch/launchpad-pro/support-downloads

... but don't install (or, at least, don't run) any other associated Novation/Launchpad software (which is intended for Ableton Live, etc.). You just need the Launchpad driver itself for Hauptwerk, but none of the other Novation software, since Novation's other software might interfere with Hauptwerk being able to talk to the Launchpad directly.

Launch Hauptwerk, then go to the 'General settings | MIDI ports' screen (from the main menu). On the screen's 'MIDI IN ports' tab (which is the default tab), you need the entry for the Launchpad Pro ticked in the *left-hand* ('Console MIDI IN') column, but no other entries at all relating to the Launchpad or Novation ticked in either column. Since you won't be using MIDI output, on the 'MIDI OUT ports' tab of the same screen, make sure that nothing at all is ticked in either column.

OK the screen, then load the organ. You should then be able to auto-detect the buttons to your desired virtual stops as covered in my previous reply.
Best regards, Martin.

va3ets

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 10:31 pm

I got this going. Selecting standalone port, worked just fine. And I can now successfully assign stops to buttons on my launchpad. It works well now. Was mapping out a sample set today, and made I'd accidentally hit a couple buttons when mapping some stops, but eventually when I was going through the process, Hauptwerk started bringing up dialogs about duplicate controls or some such thing. Is there any way that I can clear an organ's stop mappings only, and start fresh with that, rather than uninstalling and reinstalling the particular organ? I'm on Mac OS, 10.12.3 Sierra here.

mnailor

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 11:05 pm

Organ settings / Organ configuration wizard lets you reset all the currently loaded organ's MIDI settings. You'll have to use MIDI learn on keyboards, swell pedals, etc over again, but I think that will clear all your stop and piston mappings. Page 144 of HW manual.

va3ets

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 11:58 pm

Ok cool, will try that.

va3ets

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 4:21 pm

I tried resetting organ preferences for this particular organ, and I got through one of the divisions ok, but then when I went into do a second one, that's when it started to complain. I wonder if stops have to be assigned in any particular order, so that Hauptwerk won't put up these dialogs? Also, stop assignments are organ specific, aren't they? NO stop or piston assignment could possibly conflict between two organs?

va3ets

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 4:25 pm

And if I ever have somebody sighted, using my instrument, and I want lights on my launchpad, so that they can tell whehter a stop is on or whatever, how do I go about setting that up?

engrssc

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 5:24 pm

I'm only am familiar with the original L/P which does the light bit as part of using it with H/W' Auto-detect. The LED's at best are fairly dim and are hard to distinguish between on (bright) and off (dimmed). All but not useful in a brightly lit environment. During the setup process (as mentioned above) you also get to choose the colour.

Rgds,
Ed

mnailor

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 6:08 pm

va3ets wrote:I tried resetting organ preferences for this particular organ, and I got through one of the divisions ok, but then when I went into do a second one, that's when it started to complain. I wonder if stops have to be assigned in any particular order, so that Hauptwerk won't put up these dialogs? Also, stop assignments are organ specific, aren't they? NO stop or piston assignment could possibly conflict between two organs?

If you get the popup about the MIDI button already being assigned to another virtual control in MIDI autodetect, it means you either pressed a button you had already assigned, or else the button is sending the same MIDI message as a previously assigned button. I don't use LP. Is that even possible?

And yes, MIDI mappings to stops and controls on one organ have nothing to do with any another organ. Unless St. Annes and its 48KHz locked version share the same settings (I may have imagined that).

va3ets

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 8:07 pm

If any button was sending the same midi message as another one I'd previously assigned, that would've happened as well, when I was mapping out buttons to stops for the St Anne's sample set. But I was able to map the stops of that organ just fine, with none of these duplicate dialogs coming up. But when it comes to mapping out this second organ I've installed, which is the St John Cantius sample set from http://www.piotrgrabowski.pl/
I eventually start getting these duplicate controls dialogs, and I haven't duplicated anything. I've just done the autodetect procedure on my manuals, pedalboard and swell pedals, and then I start going along, mapping stops, and eventually, one of these dialogs will come up. This is a very strange issue.

mdyde

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 6:41 am

Hello va3ets,

(I don't have a copy of Piotr Grabowski's St. John Cantius sample set here currently, or previous experience with it.)

Certainly with the original Launchpads, each Launchpad button sends a unique MIDI message, and I'd expect the same to be true with 'Mark 2' models, such as the Launchpad Pro. Hence if you're certain that you're using a Launchpad button that you haven't previously assigned to anything within the given organ, then any messages about duplicate assignment must be due to another Launchpad button having been assigned to the same virtual control (e.g. stop) in that specific organ in Hauptwerk.

MIDI settings and assignments are completely independent between different sample sets / organs (determined by the OrganIDs set by the sample set producers in their organ definitions, which should be globally unique). Some minor variants of the same sample set (e.g. the 48 kHz and standard 44.1 kHz versions of St. Anne's intentionally use the same OrganID internally, so that they share the same settings, but that definitely shouldn't be the case between different sample sets.

In case it's relevant, the specific option on the 'Organ settings | Organ configuration wizard' that you would need to use (have ticked) to reset the MIDI assignments is 'Reset MIDI/key triggers for all organ controls and Hauptwerk functions for this organ'.

va3ets wrote:And if I ever have somebody sighted, using my instrument, and I want lights on my launchpad, so that they can tell whehter a stop is on or whatever, how do I go about setting that up?

For the original Launchpad model (for which Hauptwerk has full support), you would also need to enable (tick) the entry for the Launchpad in the left-hand ('Console MIDI OUT') column on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI OUT ports' screen tab before auto-detecting the virtual stops. (If you've already auto-detected them without that option ticked then the quickest way to configure it for Launchpad lamp control would be to tick it and auto-detect them again.)

When auto-detecting, the auto-detection wizard will then ask you in which colour you would like the Launchpad button's lamp to light up when the mapped virtual stop is on.

However, my understanding is that the 'Mark 2' Launchpad models (such as the Launchpad Pro) use a slightly different MIDI implementation, so that their button lamps might not light in the intended colours when controlled by the current version of Hauptwerk (v4.2.1). We do plan to add support for those newer Launchpad models in the future.
Best regards, Martin.
Next

Return to Technical support