It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:06 am

Audio problems on Mac

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

jlefevre1

Audio problems on Mac

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 2:45 pm

I am running Hauptewerk 4.2.1.003 on a Mac Pro, 6 core, 512 gb SSD, and 16 GB memory. The audio interface is a MOTU 828x connected via thunderbolt. It serves as the MIDI input for the keyboards and as the audio output for 8 channels of audio to the 4000 watt sound system. The MOTU driver is 1.6.68717. We leave it on all the time. Using the stock St. Annes Organ. Converted and old 2 manual keyboard and pedalboard to MIDI using MIDI warehouse boards. That all works fine. We have a main monitor 16 by 9 ration off to the side and three ELO 1215L touch screens at the organ, left jamb, right jamb, and assignable ( general purpose ). AS I mentioned it is left on all the time and a UPS is installed. About every 2 to 3 weeks we have to reboot the mac because the audio fails. The failure occurs in that when pressing any key on the keyboard a low frequency sir pulsing sound occurs ( out organist calls it bat wings ) is all that comes out of the speakers instead of the pressed not. Restating the Mac will always restore it. I do not know if Haupterrk. is losing the ability to generate tones and send them to the MOTU or something else. Sound is being produced by the MOTU ( the bat wing sound ) and all the keyboards and MIDI commands are still coming in so if it is a driver issue with the MOTU is is very selective. Any Ideas?

Erzahler

Re: Audio problems on Mac

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 4:08 pm

I'd turn it all off when not using it and save some power.

engrssc

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 9:26 pm

Is there a reason for leaving the Mac on aside from the nuisance of having to turn it on via the Mac's switch? Mostly folks do this for rapid startup. I hacked mine extending parallel (to the Mac's switch) and extended the wiring out thru an opening on the rear.. Did the same with the MOTU. I use an external one shot relay to turn them on via a sequencer. This may not be the sole answer to the problem, but it works for the here and now I've yet to meet a perfect electronic device that doesn't eventually have some kind of issue because most of these devices are designed and sometimes built by imperfect humans. :roll:

Have you tried using the sleep mode for the computer?

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 5:35 am

Hello James,

When the issue occurs:

- Does Hauptwerk's audio level meter on the 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control panel ('View | Large control panels') continue to move in response to clicking on virtual keys on the screen in Hauptwerk? (If it does, then the driver is continuing to ask Hauptwerk for chunks of audio, and in response Hauptwerk is providing them to the driver.)

- Also, do the audio signal level meters continue to move in the MOTU's driver control panel software, and on the audio interface hardware itself (if applicable)?

- Does the MOTU driver control panel still show the same sample rate (which should be 44.1 kHz for St. Anne's)?

One other question: is the MOTU set as the default audio output device for the Mac? (If so, perhaps something other than Hauptwerk is trying to play a sound through, interfering with its connection to Hauptwerk.)

Please also make sure that you have all power saving options completely disabled in OS X's Energy Saver system preferences, in case something is getting put to sleep and interfering with the connection to the device.

Similarly, please also try disabling OS X's App Nap globally, as explained here: http://osxdaily.com/2014/05/13/disable-app-nap-mac-os-x/

Another gentleman had a fairly similar issue with a MOTU 24Ao interface recently, so it might also be worth checking some of the suggestions there (although he was using Windows, and the 24Ao connects via USB/Ethernet, rather than Thunderbolt as your 828x does):

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15832
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

jlefevre1

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 5:06 pm

In response

The Hauptwerk audio level meter on the large console continues to work

The signal level meters on the front of the MOTU interface for all 8 channels continue to move

The MOTU is the default and only audio device set on the Mac

I turned off everything in the power saving options I could find.

The other major problem I was having is the driver software for UPPD for the 3 touch screens was buggy. Was running version 5.0.x.
Touch Base finally released a version 6.0.x and I worked with them and now have way appears to be a stable touch interface for the touch screens.
Before the update 2 of the 3 touch screens would not touch after a restart until you plugged and unplugged the use cords going to them.

Since I have installed the new UPPD touch drive the touch screens have worked fine and also the audio problem as not recurred. I am not ready to claim that the audio problems was related and has been cured yet but am hopeful so far.

Sorry it took so long to respond but my real job gets in the way.

Jim

engrssc

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 5:20 pm

jlefevre1 wrote:Sorry it took so long to respond but my real job gets in the way.

You aren't alone with that "work" problem. :roll: .

Keep us informed. Sounds as if others of us could benefit from your experience.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 3:52 am

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the status update and glad to hear it seems so far to have been resolved.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support