It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:01 pm

Hauptwerk Installer

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

JohnNicholson

Hauptwerk Installer

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 6:10 pm

I have changed the hard-drive layout of my whole PC to create more space. I thought it would be easy to re-write the information in C:/Program Files/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ/Internal Resources/ FileLocations and Hauptwerk would find the new locations. But instead I get an error message saying that Hauptwerk could not create the folder 'C:Program Files/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ/G:HAUPTWERK2017/Hauptwerk User Data'

The new location in caps on G: is the place where I have put all the new Hauptwerk working files, away from C:

I have also seen an error message that refers to the Hauptwerk installer, but I don't know where to find it.

Can anyone let me know how to write the lines in FileLocations and save as a new FILELOCATIONS_HAUPTWERK.XML file, or how to find the installer and point Hauptwerk to the new places where all my working files are now located?

Jn

mnailor

Re: Hauptwerk Installer

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 6:46 pm

Since tweaking those files by hand isn't supported, you probably should reinstall using the InstallHauptwerk program. If you can't find it wherever you downloaded it to, you can downlosd it again.

In the installer, under Custom, you can change the directories for user settings, internal working files, and samplesets. Each can be on a different disk if you want. I rearranged my disks a week ago and the installer behaved well. But you should restore the file you modified so the installer isn't confused.

There are topics about this in the forum. Here's the one where I got some help:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15896

mdyde

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 5:05 am

Hello John,

To add to add nmailor's reply (thanks):

Yes -- please *never* try to edit/hack Hauptwerk's internal files by hand, or move its folders by hand. You're highly likely to break your Hauptwerk installation by doing those things, as you found, and it isn't something for which we provide official support.

Please either:

- Restore that file to a backup made before you tried to edit it and put the folders you moved *exactly* back to where they before. You can then use the Hauptwerk installer to move their locations properly, as covered in the 'Changing installation locations' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (page 25 in the current v4.2.1 version: https://www.hauptwerk.com/support/documentation/ ). The current version of the Hauptwerk installer can always be downloaded from our main downloads page ( http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/ ).

- Or, if you didn't make a backup of that file before you edited it, then un-install Hauptwerk completely, delete all of the folders, and re-install everything from scratch, including all sample sets. (After doing so, you could then use 'File | Restore your Hauptwerk settings ... from a backup' to restore all of your settings from the last backup made by Hauptwerk. Assuming that you hadn't disabled automatic backups, Hauptwerk will have made periodic backups in the Hauptwerk folder of your computer account's home folder, so you would then browse to that folder to select the latest backup when using 'File | Restore ...'.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JohnNicholson

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 5:57 am

Thanks to Mdyde and Mnailor, my Hauptwerk is working again, but it seems that I will have to reload all the instruments I have collected. But all the source files are there and seem to be working from the new locations.
I was muddled by references to 'Hauptwerk installer' which I assumed was something I could find as a separate program like the 'uninstaller'. So I downloaded the current installer, and ran it and all seems to be working again. Phew! so I now wipe my sweaty brow and can sleep at night knowing that all my Hauptwerk files are not lost forever. Thanks again to all!

mdyde

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 6:13 am

Thanks, John.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support