It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:00 pm

Reinstalling HW

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

ludu

Reinstalling HW

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 9:56 am

Hello,
After replacing a cooling fan in my PC, HW does not work any more. I am trying the reinstall it but it fails because the following message: Error! You do not have write permissions to the chosen folder. Please chose a different folder. However I have all the permissions and the folder is the same as before (a SSD). I am in the Standard installation. What can I do now?
Luc

IainStinson

Re: Reinstalling HW

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 10:28 am

If you are using Windows, you might get around the problem by logging on to an account with administrator rights and carrying out the installation on that account.

Iain

ludu

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks Iain for your suggestion. I just have tried to run the installer as administrator, but the result is the same.
Luc

mnailor

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 12:22 pm

When I replaced my computer, Martin helped me fix a similar sounding permissions problem. This was on Windows 7, and I can't find his email, but basically it was right click on the top level Hauptwerk directory on each drive, choose Properties, Security, Advanced, and add permission for Everyone to allow Full Control. I think it asked whether to apply to all subdirectories, and I did.

mdyde

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Hello Luc,

Replacing a fan can't in itself affect Hauptwerk, or any other software, except conceivably to the extent that if the CPU overheated significantly when the old fan wasn't working then it might have resulted in your Windows installation and/or hard-drives/SSD getting corrupted. If that's the case then you really need to wipe the entire system (re-format all of the drives) and re-install everything from clean, including Windows and Hauptwerk.

Looking at your previous thread about the CPU/fan problem ( viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15916 ), did anything misbehave shortly before the PC completely failed to boot with that CPU fan error?

Are you absolutely sure you (or somebody else, e.g. who fixed the fan) didn't do anything else at all to the computer that could have changed/broken something?

Also, is my understanding correct that when you re-ran the Hauptwerk installer, you just chose the 'standard' installation option (which would automatically use exactly your previous installation paths, and so should have no problem), as opposed to the 'custom' option (which would have allowed you to change the paths, and thus conceivably selected invalid locations).

Do all of your drives (including your SSD) have the same Windows drive letters as before?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ludu

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Hello Martin,
mdyde wrote:Looking at your previous thread about the CPU/fan problem ( viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15916 ), did anything misbehave shortly before the PC completely failed to boot with that CPU fan error?

Yes, just after the CPU trouble, it was impossible to load a sample set? After 10 or 20%, the PC frozen.

mdyde wrote:Are you absolutely sure you (or somebody else, e.g. who fixed the fan) didn't do anything else at all to the computer that could have changed/broken something?

Yes, I have specifically asked not to change anything in my configuration.

mdyde wrote:Also, is my understanding correct that when you re-ran the Hauptwerk installer, you just chose the 'standard' installation option (which would automatically use exactly your previous installation paths, and so should have no problem), as opposed to the 'custom' option (which would have allowed you to change the paths, and thus conceivably selected invalid locations).

Yes, I have used the standard installation.

mdyde wrote:Do all of your drives (including your SSD) have the same Windows drive letters as before?

Yes.
Luc

mdyde

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 2:11 pm

Thanks, Luc.

In that case, I'm afraid to say that I think that the CPU overheating must have corrupted your drives and/or Windows installation, and the only really safe option (since you wouldn't know what other files/folders might also have been corrupted, or to what extents) would to wipe the whole computer and re-install it all from clean. (You could then restore your Hauptwerk settings from your last good backup. If needed, and assuming they too haven't been corrupted, automatic backups can be found in the 'Hauptwerk' folder in your computer account's home folder.)

If you really don't want to do that then the only thing I could suggest would be to perhaps to consider employing the services of somebody like Francois Ratte ( http://www.hauptwerkconsultant.com/ ) to work on the computer remotely to see whether it's possible to find out exactly what's been corrupted and to try to repair it as necessary. There's a possibility, if the corruption isn't too extensive, that a technical person would be able to fix it (although without wiping and re-installing everything you could still never truly be sure that nothing else had also been corrupted, e.g. within Windows itself).
Best regards, Martin.

dcaton

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 3:42 pm

Luc: If you want to try and avoid reinstalling Windows, run sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt. That will tell you if any critical Windows system files are corrupted, and possibly repair any that are. It won't fix every last possible error, but should give you an indication whether any system files need repairing. If they do, then you probably have disk corruption to the extent that it would be wise to reformat and reinstall Windows.

Also run chkdsk to check for file system corruption, and wmic diskdrive get model, status to check the status of the physical drive.

Also, there's the possibility that excessive heat has physically damaged the hard drive, or possibly shortened its life expectancy even if no errors are reported. If you're going to go to the trouble of reinstalling Windows, you might consider replacing the hard drive as well. If nothing else, find a hard disk diagnostic utility and see what it reports. Your hard drive manufacturer probably has one you can download and there are plenty of free ones out there as well.

ludu

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 7:08 am

Many thanks Martin & dcaton for your analysis. My SSD is corrupted but my system is OK. I suppose I have now:
1) to reformat my SSD (containing all my HW data)
2) to uninstall HW completely
3) to reinstall the complete version of HW
4) to recover my settings with my backups
Is it right?
Luc

mdyde

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 7:25 am

Hello Luc,

Yes -- that sounds correct to me (assuming the SSD's hardware hasn't actually been damaged by the overheating). You would also need to re-install your sample sets in Hauptwerk.
Best regards, Martin.

ludu

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 8:32 am

I will try to recover my SSD. Must I format it in exFat or in NTFS?
Luc

evertjan

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 8:39 am

Format must be in NTFS
Last edited by evertjan on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 8:40 am

NTFS.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support