It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:35 am

Black MIDI notes in Logic X

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Stephen Limbaugh

Black MIDI notes in Logic X

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 5:17 am

This is an unlisted video of my issue:
https://youtu.be/bm3iJYNuAQo?t=15s

And while people are reading...

When I load new instruments and pull a stop or two, some of the keys aren't working. I'll trigger the MIDI in the GUI and on a MIDI controller in Logic and in Standalone, and only a handful of keys will produce a sound. When I switch stops or manuals, the problem is replicated except with different notes. (E.g., note F4 may work with a flute stop, but not with a trumpet stop.)

mdyde

Re: Black MIDI notes in Logic X

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 7:31 am

Hello Stephen,

Sorry -- I'm not really clear from your video specifically what it's trying to demonstrate. Was it perhaps meant to have audio (e.g. a voice-over explaining it)?

With regard to the approach that one should use for configuring Hauptwerk with Logic, can I also first just check whether any of the following apply to how you plan to use Hauptwerk with Logic?:

1. The MIDI sequencer needs to control multiple virtual instruments simultaneously, as in a conventional recording studio, or:

2. MIDI parts need to be recorded or entered by hand directly within the MIDI sequencer (for example, when composing pieces), or:

3. The MIDI sequencer is sometimes used with virtual instruments other than Hauptwerk.

If the answer to any of those questions is 'yes' then please try configuring it exactly as described in the in the 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)' sub-section of the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 189-194 of the current v4.2.1 version), with the 'HauptwerkVSTLink' ticked in the *left-hand* 'Console MIDI IN' column on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen tab, and with nothing else ticked at all in either column, and also with nothing ticked at all on the 'MIDI OUT ports' screen tab. Have your hardware MIDI IN ports enabled in your sequencer (Logic), not in Hauptwerk, as is conventional in sequencer/DAW environments. Then in Hauptwerk, right-click on keyboards, etc., and use 'Adjust MIDI ... settings manually' to set them to use your desired MIDI channels/implementation (or use auto-detection if appropriate).

Note also that it's important that you only have a single instance of the Hauptwerk plug-in loaded within your host's project, since it wouldn't normally make sense to have multiple independent pipe organs within a single project, and Hauptwerk doesn't allow multiple simultaneous plug-in instances. (The user guide covers that in more detail, including how to use the same plug-in instance for multiple tracks in Logic, on page 191.)

Stephen Limbaugh wrote:When I load new instruments and pull a stop or two, some of the keys aren't working. I'll trigger the MIDI in the GUI and on a MIDI controller in Logic and in Standalone, and only a handful of keys will produce a sound. When I switch stops or manuals, the problem is replicated except with different notes. (E.g., note F4 may work with a flute stop, but not with a trumpet stop.)

Do you mean that the virtual keys move properly on Hauptwerk's virtual console display, but that you don't hear the sound of the pipes for those keys?

If so, my guess would be that currently you have more than one logical audio output within the audio output group to which the relevant ranks are routed, but at least one of those logical audio outputs has no audio device channels selected (and so you won't be hearing it).

If the above things don't solve it, please use 'Help | Create a diagnostic file' and send the resulting file to us ( https://www.hauptwerk.com/forms/support/ ), so that we can have a look at your settings. Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Stephen Limbaugh

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 7:32 pm

There wasn't audio in the video, but basically when tracking and holding notes the MIDI was for some reason sending note off info.

The issue appears to be solved now because I had open in Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 multiple AU link instances which I intended to have for each MIDI channel assigned to different keyboards, which messes things up I guess... I was more surprised because I had never seen that happen (where the notes appear to be black until you zoom in) in Logic before. VEP6 for some reason won't let me use the Hauptwerk AU link as a multichan instrument... or at least I need to go to VSL about it to see if I'm making a routing error. My solution is to do the Hauptwerk recommended setup in Logic, bounce audio, and then route to VEP6. Everything works fine in that circumstance.

To the other issue...
I did a full uninstall/install of Hauptwerk and the organs - the problem went away.

Thank you!

mdyde

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 5:48 am

Thanks, Stephen.

Excellent -- glad to hear you have it working now.

Stephen Limbaugh wrote:To the other issue...
I did a full uninstall/install of Hauptwerk and the organs - the problem went away.

I think that must just have an incorrect audio routing setting. Doing a full un-install/re-install would revert your settings to factory defaults (although you could do the same thing more quickly via 'File | Revert all settings to factory defaults' within Hauptwerk, for future reference).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support