It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:18 pm

Question on polyphony test

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

TimM

Question on polyphony test

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 10:55 am

My computer is a 6th-gen Intel i7 quad core with 64 GB RAM. My interface is Behringer FCA 610. I ran the polyphony testing organ and I'm getting unbelievable results. I select the biggest (500 pipes/key) and I can lay both of my forearms across the keyboard and get no sound that I would call 'breakup'. It's just a mishmash of notes, exactly what I would expect from dozens of keys down. Also, the St. Anne organ (all I have right now; still building up) sounds excellent, with all stops drawn plus couplers and ten-finger block chords. That's not too surprising, but the polyphony test is very surprising. Can it be that my polyphony ability is really that fantastic, or do you think I am perhaps being fooled by something? Thanks!

Tim

OrganoPleno

Re: Question on polyphony test

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 12:25 pm

TimM wrote:Can it be that my polyphony ability is really that fantastic, or do you think I am perhaps being fooled by something?

Probably real. Congratulations on your excellent results. My own computer, new in October, has an Intel i7 6900K 8-core, with 128 GB of RAM, using an RME internal interface. I use a MIDI file with the Polyphony Tester, which adds notes and holds them so I can see exactly how many notes are being played.
Results: no sound breakup when playing 19000 simultaneous notes. Can play 18000 simultaneous notes without the CPU indicator ever entering the red zone. Based on these numbers, using a recommended figure 40% of static polyphony, I set the polyphony of each Organ Sample Set at 7616... with excellent results.

Then I test each organ for the best Audio Level... pull out all the stops and all the couplers, play the lowest ten white keys on the Great Manual, and then add the lowest eight naturals on the Pedals (using feet cross-wise). If there is sound break-up, I reduce the Audio level a little bit. When a certain level produces NO Sound Breakup (especially if the Audio indicator never enters the red zone), you can be good and sure that you will NEVER face any audio breakup in actual play.

Enjoy your new installation!

ps -- for audio testing, I temporarily disable the Wind Model.

jharmon

Re: Question on polyphony test

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Polyphony results can be confusing. If you were to try a high polyphony setting on a smple set with huge acoustics, such as the Sonus Dinglestaedt, you might find you have to maintain a polyphony of around 4,000. With a set like St. Anne's you could maintain a much higher setting. The sample set in conjuction with the computer resources both work to determine polyphony settings.

Return to Technical support