It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:02 am

error code 0654

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Gerhard Eber

error code 0654

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 11:10 am

I recently upgraded to the latest advanced Hauptwerk version. Each time I start the program I get the error message with error code 0654 although apparently there is nothing wrong with the program. I already reinstalled the program twice (as administrator).

What can I do to get rid of this error message?

mdyde

Re: error code 0654

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 12:31 pm

Hello Gerhard,

The text of that error message is "Hauptwerk's file locations file '...' could not be found. Please re-run Hauptwerk's installer to re-pair your installation".

What operating system and version are you installing on? Is there anything non-standard about the way that your operating system was installed (e.g. was some or all of the operating system installed into customised locations)? Are you logged onto you computer with a computer account that has administrator privileges (such as the default account)? Are you trying to run Hauptwerk using the same computer account that you used to install it?

Also, if you have a virus scanner then please try completely disabling it temporarily (or un-installing it, if it isn't possible to disable it), then re-running the Hauptwerk installer, in case the virus scanner was preventing Hauptwerk's installer from being able to write its file locations file (which occasionally happens).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Gerhard Eber

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 5:35 am

-- What operating system and version are you installing on?
WIndows7
--Is there anything non-standard about the way that your operating system was installed (e.g. was some or all of the operating system installed into customised locations)?
No, as far as I know.

-- Are you logged onto you computer with a computer account that has administrator privileges (such as the default account)?
Yes.

-- Are you trying to run Hauptwerk using the same computer account that you used to install it?
Yes. There is only the default account.

I tried to search for the missing file and found only the old one from the previous installation, but in a location which has nothing to do with the current installation directory.

I don't use a virus scanner since I am not online.

mdyde

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 7:11 am

Thanks, Gerhard.

Do you have all available Windows 7 updates installed (or, at least, has Windows been fully updated recently)? It might be important to do have recent updates, especially since Microsoft distribute code signature databases (required in order to install applications) via Windows Updates, so please that try first if relevant, then see whether that allows the v4.2.1 installer to install properly.

If not:

Did you get any errors during the installation?

Are you using 64-bit or 32-bit Windows 7?

Was the Windows installation upgraded from an older Windows version, or was the Windows installation's hard-disk/SSD used in a different PC (without having wiped it and re-installed Windows)?

Did you have an earlier version of Hauptwerk already installed on this Windows installation? Which Hauptwerk version, if so?

If it exists, please make a ZIP file of the following folder and send it to us ( https://www.hauptwerk.com/forms/support/ ):

C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ\InternalResources

(Hopefully the installer's logs will be present there, and will give some clue as to what's going wrong during installation.)

Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.

Gerhard Eber

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 4:33 am

Dear Martin,

The answers to your questions:

-- Are you using 64-bit or 32-bit Windows 7?

64bit

-- Was the Windows installation upgraded from an older Windows version, or was the Windows installation's hard-disk/SSD used in a different PC (without having wiped it and re-installed Windows)?

It was on clean disk.

-- Did you have an earlier version of Hauptwerk already installed on this Windows installation? Which Hauptwerk version, if so?

I had Hauptwerk Version 3.1, but this was on different computer with Windows XP 64, which I had to replace because of a hardware failure. I then installed Windows 7 64 Bit and also installed the latest updates for this. Because I couldn't install Hauptwerk 3.1 from the installation disk I copied the program from the old disk to the new one and only re-installed the license server. The old Hauptwerk version was 3.1 32 Bit (because of the driver for the sound card). This construction
with the program as a copy and the installed license server worked ok although I could use only 4 GB of the 16 which are installed.
I, therefore, upgraded to Hauptwerk 4.1 advanced. During the installation all old data including the installed organs, the combination files etc. were lost, but this didn't matter for me because I had saved the data elsewhere. The installation worked without visible problems. After reinstalling the old organ (Cavaillé Coll, Metz), everything was ok except for the error message 0654.

I shall send the requested ZIP file later this day because my organ computer isn't online.

Thanks for your efforts to solve this (which is not really a problem).

Gerhard

mdyde

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 6:01 am

Thanks, Gerhard.

I think that the issue would have been caused by your attempt to copy the v3 installation en masse onto the new computer. One can't simply copy the installed Hauptwerk application (or most other installed applications) directly from one computer to another -- its installer needs to be used to install it on the new computer, otherwise components are likely to be missed (or configured incorrectly for the new computer) and/or file/folder permissions are likely to end up incorrect, potentially preventing Hauptwerk and/or its installer from being able to work properly.

(Also, there's no benefit in installing an older version in order to upgrade to a new one -- the new version can just be installed directly.)

Please try the following:

- If you're currently able to get Hauptwerk to launch at all, and if you have any settings/combinations/etc. in Hauptwerk that you want to keep then use 'File | Backup ...' within Hauptwerk to back them up. (Alternatively, if you already have a suitable recent backup made using 'File | Backup ...' within Hauptwerk then that could be used instead of making a new one.)

- Exit Hauptwerk if it's running.

- Use Windows Explorer to make sure that any and all of the following folders that exist are completely deleted (entering your computer password if so prompted):

C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ\
C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ VST Link Plug-In\
C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk\
C:\Program Files\Zero G Registry\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ VST Link Plug-In\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hauptwerk\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Zero G Registry\
C:\Hauptwerk\

- Reboot for good measure.

- Run the full Hauptwerk v4.2.1 installer to re-install Hauptwerk from clean ( http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/ ).

- Also make sure that the latest version of the Hauptwerk USB key driver is installed ( http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/ ). (It doesn't to re-install it if unsure.)

- Reboot.

- Launch Hauptwerk. It should now launch properly.

- If you had previously made a backup of your settings then use 'File | Restore ...' in Hauptwerk to restore it.

- Use 'File | Install ...' to re-install your organs from their original installation media or downloads.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support