It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:09 am

CTL-R reboots the computer

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

jocr

PostSun Apr 25, 2004 11:52 am

This morning, Hauptwerk decided to change its compliant nature, and every time I push CTL-R to record something (even using the menu) the machine reboots! I'm using Windows 2000 Professional.

Thoughts that occur to me are: corruption in Hauptwerk executable file; problem with the DirectX 7.0 DirectSound capability. I have tried a cold reboot and loading a different organ. Pushing CTL-R does not reboot the machine unless Hauptwerk and an organ file are loaded.

Any ideas/fixes?

James Pressler

mdyde

PostSun Apr 25, 2004 12:35 pm

Hello James,

How peculiar! There is certainly no code in version 1.xx of Hauptwerk which can reboot a computer by any method provided in Windows.

A few vague possibilities:

- For some reason the act of Hauptwerk starting a recording causes Windows to crash unexpectedly and reboot itself for some reason (full hard disk or disk fault?).
- A virus scanner is crashing when Hauptwerk is trying to create the output file, causing Windows to crash suddenly as well.
- You have some sort of virus on your PC.
- You have assigned Ctrl+R to do something else in Windows or another application that is running, and somehow the two programs together cause Windows to crash in response.

Does the same thing happen if you try to start recording by selecting the option from the menu? If so, does the same thing happen if you try to create a file manually in the output recording folder? How about if you change Hauptwerk's output recording folder?

Thanks,
Martin.

jocr

PostSun Apr 25, 2004 1:28 pm

Martin,

The same thing happens when I try to start a recording using the menu option. I just tried creating a new folder for recording, and that very act caused a system reboot as well. Hmm. Moving a file from one partition to another also caused a reboot. I'll try a few updates from Windows and see if that helps.

Thanks for replying so soon.

James Pressler

jocr

PostSun Apr 25, 2004 6:25 pm

[WITHDRAWN]
Last edited by jocr on Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jocr

PostFri Apr 30, 2004 8:24 am

I am grateful to Brenton Brockhouse, who, In response to the above request, recorded the last piece in my Dupré Vespers series, available here:

http://www.virtuallybaroque.com/track848.htm

It only took a few days, and that, considering the time difference between California and Australia, the amount of hardware and software he had to master, and the fact that he was juggling this project with his job, seems an absolute miracle.

James Pressler

jocr

PostThu May 06, 2004 7:25 pm

I tried running a virus scan today on the ailing computer. It does not have the Sasser or any other of 71 virii it checked for. Then for some reason I let Real Audio update its player automatically. All of a sudden I can record again instead of it always rebooting when I push CTL-R. Internet Explorer still has some problems, but I'm closer to functional again.

James Pressler

G'day

Problems

PostThu May 06, 2004 8:09 pm

Hi James,
Real Audio has also in the past caused my audio functions to go haywire. I finally deleted the whole program and now things are fine. I think RealAudio initiates pre-emptive driver strikes against it's competing audio programs with the computer-as-civilian the main casualty.
G'day

jocr

PostThu May 06, 2004 8:53 pm

So the physician had originally caused the illness? How bizarre. I wonder if Real has an axe to grind with Microsoft (doesn't everybody?).

jocr

The gremlin is back

PostThu Jul 22, 2004 10:51 am

Virtually baroque is virtually disabled again, with the same symptoms as before (this time the Real Audio solution didn't work). Not only can't I record, but trying to delete even one file from the drive causes the computer to reboot. I suspect it is something having to do with not enough disk space, even though the virtual memory is set for drive C:, which hasn't the same problems as D:

[MIDI files withdrawn.]

James Pressler
Last edited by jocr on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cdatzko

Re: The gremlin is back

PostThu Jul 22, 2004 11:05 am

jocr wrote:Virtually baroque is virtually disabled again, with the same symptoms as before (this time the Real Audio solution didn't work). Not only can't I record, but trying to delete even one file from the drive causes the computer to reboot. I suspect it is something having to do with not enough disk space, even though the virtual memory is set for drive C:, which hasn't the same problems as D:

In the meantime, I'm posting MIDI files of my latest work. If anyone would care to record, convert to MP3 (128//kbps) and post them to an FTP site I could access, I would be grateful. One requires St. Georgenkirche samples, the others are generic.

Zip packages are available here:

http://www.virtuallybaroque.com/updiary.htm

James Pressler

How about ... the one and only method to make Windows behave:
Code: Select all
FORMAT C:

Has worked for me quite some times now.

Christian.

jocr

PostMon Aug 09, 2004 7:40 am

Thanks for all those who have expressed concern and given helpful advice. As of September 24, 2004, I have the use of this computer again.

James Pressler

Return to Technical support