It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:53 pm

Mini LaunchPad overhead?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

TimM

Mini LaunchPad overhead?

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Does a Mini Launchpad consume nontrivial amounts of RAM or CPU? As I explore Hauptwerk, I am finding numerous wonderful things that can be controlled with pistons, but I'm out of available pistons. A Mini Launchpad would be an ideal solution, but I'm using the Rotterdam organ, and so my RAM and CPU are close to the limit. Any experience with this? Thanks!

mdyde

Re: Mini LaunchPad overhead?

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 1:15 pm

Hello Tim,

Certainly within Hauptwerk itself, Launchpads (or any other MIDI devices) have negligible RAM and CPU overheads (a small number of KB). I wouldn't expect the drivers themselves to have significant additional overheads.

Note also that Hauptwerk has full native support for the original 'mark 1' Launchpad models (which are readily and inexpensively available second-hand), but not yet for the 'mark 2' models, such as the Launchpad Pro:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15870&p=119317#p119316
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

TimM

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 1:41 pm

Thank you for that. I already have a Mark 2 Mini, so I'm stuck with that. From forum posts it appears that the Mark 2 largely works with Hauptwerk, so I'll give it a try.

Tim

rayjcar

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 4:42 pm

The Mk 2 works perfectly with Hauptwerk. I have a Mk 2 Mini and the only limitation is that the number of colors which can be displayed is limited.

Ray

TimM

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 5:19 am

Thank you for that encouragement! I have searched this forum and I do not see any sort of document that shows step-by-step installation and usage. Do you have any hints, things you have learned that might not be obvious to a first-timer? I definitely plan to document what I learn over the next few days and post it here for future reference by others.

mdyde

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 5:34 am

Hello Tim,

For Launchpad (mark 1, anyway) use, you just need to make sure that the Launchpads' entries are ticked in the left-hand 'Console MIDI IN/OUT' columns on the 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen, and also on the MIDI OUT ports screen.

Then use right-click auto-detection to detect the virtual stops/pistons to your Launchpad buttons as desired. Hauptwerk will show the appropriate Launchpad options (lamp colours, etc.) on the auto-detection screen.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support