It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:31 am

Groups of Keys not playing with new USB audio interface

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Robert Tewes

Groups of Keys not playing with new USB audio interface

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 4:23 pm

I have recently upgraded some hardware to my Custom Midi Works (FATAR) three-stack keyboard and pedalboard system.

The computer I am using is a new Dell XPS 8910 with 48 gb ram, running Windows 10 Home edition. It houses an Intel 7 6700 Quad Core Processor.

I am hoping to run Hauptwerk through a brand new Steinberg UR28M USB 2.0 6 channel output device.
After installing the sound device and its most current drivers, although Hauptwerk 4.2.1 Advanced Edition sees the device, and even plays from it (using the updated ASIO drivers), when I play on any of the keyboards, about 6 notes play, sequentially, then 7 or so are dead, then the next group plays, the next group is dead, etc. Is there some setting within Hauptwerk that has become mistakenly checked that is incorrectly mapping the midi to this device? Is there something else I'm missing? Have you heard of such a thing before? Please help!
Thank you!
Last edited by Robert Tewes on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkinkennon

Re: Groups of Keys not playing with new USB audio interface

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 4:53 pm

Does the same thing happen when you play notes from the console screen? If so you need to look at any new audio configurations. If you play real keys and the console screen keys don't move then the problem has something to do with the MIDI configuration. This will al least divide the problem in half.

Robert Tewes

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 10:03 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I tried your suggestions and here are my results:
When I play the "screen" keys, the same phenomenon happens. Some notes play some do not.

When I play the keyboards, all of the graphic keys ("screen keys") appear to play.

More specifically, here is what does and does not create sound when I play the actual CMK keyboards/pedalboard:

SWELL: Low CC, D and E play, <F, G, A, B, C, d,e> do not play; f,g,a,b,c,d1, e1 play; <f1, g1, a1, b1, c1, d2, e2> do not play; f2, g2, a2, b2, c2 play. Note: None of the "black" keys play at all.

GREAT: <Low CC, D and E> do not play, F,G,A,B,C,d,e do play; <f, g, a, b, c, d1, e1> do not play; f1, g1, a1, b1, c1, d2, e2 do play <f2, g2, a2, b2, c2> do not play. None of the "black" keys play at all.

CHOIR: Same results as the Swell.

PEDAL: Low CC, D, E play; <F,G,A,B,C,d,e> do not play; f, g, a, b, c, d1, e1 play, <f1, g1> do not play, No "black" keys play at all.

Any one have any suggestions what I should try to remedy this situation? Thanks for any help anyone can give.

jkinkennon

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 10:17 pm

I'm guessing that you may have set up an additional audio output for the main group so that every other note gets sent to a second output. That stereo output (normally stereo) would go to two more of the interface ports and on to two additional amps and speakers. If there is anything wrong in that chain then you will only hear half of the notes.

Robert Tewes

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 11:02 pm

That was a correct assumption. Thank you so much for solving this conundrum for me.
I shall sleep soundly tonight!

Return to Technical support