It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:55 pm

Classic Organ Works support

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

johnh

Classic Organ Works support

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 9:08 pm

While there are work arounds I'm wondering if there is or is any planned support for the system exclusive messages that the Classic Organ Works control system uses for multiple stop registration changes. If you draw a stop or retire a stop a single MIDI message is sent. It you press a piston or operate the crescendo pedal a system exclusive message with a list of stops turning on/off is generated. Just curious if this has come up before...

---john.

mdyde

Re: Classic Organ Works support

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 4:15 am

Hello John,

Are you referring to a product made by Classic MIDI Works in Canada?:

http://midiworks.ca/index.php/products

As far as I know all of their current products are designed to be compatible with Hauptwerk (perhaps requiring a certain mode setting to be selected in the hardware).

Or a product by their sister company Classic Organ Works, such as one of their pipe organ control systems?:

http://www.organworks.com/
http://www.organworks.com/index.php/products/control-systems?set_article=overview

If the latter, I don't think anybody has ever contacted us about those previously, and I have no knowledge of them, I'm afraid. Hauptwerk doesn't currently have any native/dedicated support for them (if any were to be needed). Classic Organ/MIDI Works themselves would probably be best-placed to advise on whether they can be configured to send/receive MIDI in a Hauptwerk-compatible format (given that they have extensive experience with Hauptwerk), so please try speaking to them first. If their control systems aren't currently compatible then we could potentially discuss with them whether there might be a sufficient case to add dedicated support for them in Hauptwerk for the longer-term.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ldeutsch

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 8:22 pm

John,

My theater organ console uses a standard Classic Midi Works (Canada) pipe organ console controller - which they sometimes call their "grey box." It is fully compatible with HW, taking MIDI in signals to control all of its functions (or at least all the ones you would want to control!) Mine has four separate MIDI in connectors to allow it more MIDI bandwidth.

When you order one of these from Classic, they ask you to use their software tool to configure the box in advance. In this way, you define what inputs and outputs you will have. They use the output of the tool to configure the firmware (it may now be software) in the box before it is shipped to you. It comes with a user guide that explains all the functions as well as listing all the MIDI control information. This is a first-class company.

If you want to see some photos of how I installed mine, along with some tips, take a look at my archived project blog at

http://www.nightbloomingjazzmen.com/Theater_Organ_Project.html

Les

engrssc

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 9:32 pm

ldeutsch wrote: Mine has four separate MIDI in connectors to allow it more MIDI bandwidth.

Hi Les,

Could you elaborate a bit on what you referred as to how four separate MIDI in connectors relate to MIDI bandwidth? Just hadn't heard that before and presently trying to learn more about MIDI.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Technical support