It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am

Sound retard [brief silence with MOTU AVB interface]

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

atugores

Re: Sound retard [brief silence with MOTU AVB interface]

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 9:03 am

There is something people with MOTU can do to avoid this retard issue, start de Discorey app from MOTU which runs with Safary or firefox etc, change the sample rate there which takes no time 1 second and after that load the organ with that sample rate, this is faster than anything else.
I wonder if a MOTU with a thunderbolt connection and connected to the computer via thunderbolt will solve this issue, I don't know.
Thanks to everybody.

mdyde

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 9:21 am

Thanks, Antonio.

That's useful to know.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 10:36 am

I use a Motu 24Ao as a digital to analog converter, taking its clock from one of two ADAT inputs. It doesn't change clock rates at all between 44 and 48HHz when I load an organ with a different rate. The interface Hauptwerk sees, an RME UFX, shows the changed rate. The Motu immediately starts indicating that it's lost sync until I go into its web control interface and set the new rate. I don't really mind this extra step, but it isn't how it should work.

Edit: I missed your post where you described the same workaround. Sorry for the repeat.

atugores

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 6:14 am

I am planing to change my audio interface, Is it there any experience with the users of HW to connect a Mac to an audio interface via thunderbolt, will HW recognize it is connected with this kind of connection. Thank you.

mdyde

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 6:33 am

Hello Antonio,

It's the audio interface's driver that determines whether Hauptwerk will be able to see and use an audio interface, so any audio Thunderbolt interface that the manufacturer supports on the Mac platform should in principle work fine with Hauptwerk.

For example, RME's UFX+ could be a good choice (although not cheap):

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/fir ... x-plus.php

(Our experience is that RME products' and drivers are excellent quality, and very reliable.)
Best regards, Martin.

atugores

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 3:22 am

Thank you Martin, After some several experiments with this issue I finally arrive to the conclusion that the problem comes up with the last update of OS El Capitan and maybe HW, there is something new in this update that cause the issue, I've been using this MOTU with older Mac OS and do not remember this problem so if you have time you may Chek if I'm wrong or right, thank you once more.
Best regards.

mdyde

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 4:34 am

Hello Antonio,

Nothing has changed in Hauptwerk itself (in at least the last few versions/years) regarding how or when audio drivers are started/stopped or handled, or the way that Hauptwerk asks the audio interface to set the sample rate when it starts the audio driver (which has always been the case, since Hauptwerk v2).

If there is indeed a difference in the MOTU's behaviour between your current Mac and another one, then it must be due to something other than Hauptwerk per-se. For example, if you were only using 48 kHz sample sets on your previous Mac then the issue wouldn't have arisen. Or perhaps an older version of the MOTU driver behaved differently. Conceivably also the time that the MOTU hardware/driver takes to change sample rate depends upon the network topology (since the MOTU AVB interfaces are designed for networked audio), but I don't know; MOTU would be the best people to advise on what factors might or might not be relevant. (Perhaps even completely disabling all wired and wireless networking, and BlueTooth, might make it change rates faster, but again I don't know.)

My MOTU 16A interfaces are currently set up on a Mac partition running OS X 10.10.5 (connected to the Mac only via USB, with no network connections from the MOTUs to the computer or to any other network devices), and mine still take about 15 seconds for any sample rate change to take effect, during which time they produce no sound. The same happens in any audio application (not just Hauptwerk), so it isn't a Hauptwerk issue per-se (except indirectly inasmuch as Hauptwerk needs the audio interface to change sample rates) -- the issue is just that the MOTU hardware/driver take a long time to switch sample rates. (It isn't something that inconveniences me personally, for the way that I work, but I can certainly appreciate that it might be an inconvenience for others.)

As I mentioned, in the longer-term we do aim to add an option for Hauptwerk to perform sample rate conversions in real-time, as work-around for audio interfaces that don't like switching sample rates (although real-time sample rate conversions inevitably involve some trade-offs in terms of audio quality and/or latency, and CPU overheads). However, in the meantime, probably the only people who could address the issue with the MOTU AVB interfaces being so slow to change sample rates are MOTU themselves.
Best regards, Martin.

mnailor

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 9:49 am

My symptoms described earlier with the Motu 24Ao not changing sample rates is definitely not a problem in Hauptwerk or the driver or even the PC, since it's clocked off an ADAT input to which it fails to sync when the ADAT changes its sample rate.

The ADAT comes from an RME UFX that is the audio interface for HW.

The Motu's only connection to the PC is just used for the web control interface, so the Motu is being used as a standalone digital to analog converter. Should have gotten a couple of simple DACs...

So it seems clear that Motu has a firmware issue about changing sample rates on some AVB devices.
Previous

Return to Technical support