It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:20 pm

L, R mono components separated correctly?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

TimM

L, R mono components separated correctly?

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 5:39 am

It's widely reported that organs which separate ranks into L-component and R-component (eg Sonus Paradisi) can safely have those separated ranks loaded as mono. The manual states that when a mono sample is sent to a stereo output, it is panned to stereo, but with loss of realism. My question: Does the sample set somehow tell Hauptwerk that when this artificial panning occurs, each component (L, R) is to be panned to the correct channel? I assume this is the case, since this is generally recommended advice. But I'd love confirmation for my education. Thanks!

mdyde

Re: L, R mono components separated correctly?

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 6:25 am

Hello Tim,

When routing to a stereo output:

1. If you load a truly mono sample into Hauptwerk then it will pan it into stereo using the virtual pipe position information specified by the sample set producer within the organ definition. There is no loss of quality involved, compared to playing the mono sample in mono.

2. If you load a truly stereo sample (i.e. one with independent signals in its left and right channels) in mono (but route it to a stereo output) then Hauptwerk will pan the mono-loaded sample into stereo using the relative channel RMS levels detected from the original stereo sample. The panning doesn't lose quality in itself, but loading a truly stereo sample in mono inherently loses quality/information.

3. If you load a stereo sample that itself was made from a panned mono sample (i.e. that doesn't have truly independent left and right channels) in mono then Hauptwerk will pan it back into stereo as described in 2. However, since the two original sample channels weren't independent in this case, no quality/information would be lost by loading the stereo sample in mono (or by panning it back into stereo).

I don't know off-hand what Sonus Paradisi do within their samples or organ definitions, but I would imagine that 3 would apply (i.e. that the separate left- and right-samples would actually each be mono samples hard-panned into stereo files, so there would be no loss of quality by loading in mono but letting Hauptwerk pan them back into stereo). You would probably need to contact Sonus Paradisi if you wanted to confirm that for certain.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

TimM

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 7:32 am

Okay, thank you for those details.

Tim

scottherbert

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 10:13 am

Interesting. Sometimes I only load the left OR the right component of a stop both to save some memory, and to give a multi channel effect to my 2 channel system. Usually I only do it with high pitched and mutation stops.

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

mnailor

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 12:57 pm

http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/blog/loa ... lit-ranks/

This blog entry seems clear. Load the SP L/R ranks in mono.

TheOrganDoc

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Hello Tim,
I decided after careful analysis that I would be better off setting all my stops and audio channels to "MONO".
I then went into the stop setup screen, and selected the Ranks that I wanted to play on the Left Side of my console, and then I selected all the stops that I wanted to play on the Right side. The Pedal Stops were panned to stereo, and then into my sub-woofer. I then set up a Sub Mix in Hauptwerk for both Headphone and Reverb output in stereo. I love the effect of the Left, and right ranks, mixing in the air and or Headphones, Mel

TimM wrote:It's widely reported that organs which separate ranks into L-component and R-component (eg Sonus Paradisi) can safely have those separated ranks loaded as mono. The manual states that when a mono sample is sent to a stereo output, it is panned to stereo, but with loss of realism. My question: Does the sample set somehow tell Hauptwerk that when this artificial panning occurs, each component (L, R) is to be panned to the correct channel? I assume this is the case, since this is generally recommended advice. But I'd love confirmation for my education. Thanks!
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Return to Technical support