It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:30 am

Using the SSD v other hard drive

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

kkiiwwii

Using the SSD v other hard drive

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 5:12 pm

I have bought a new computer, this time with a 512 GB SSD and a 2 TB hard disc. Windows was pre-installed on the SSD and I successfully installed hauptwerk on it also
Firstly- are there any instructions on how to use these two.?
I am finding that having the windows programme pre-installed on the SSD, all the folders created by Windows have automatically appeared on the C drive (SSD)- leaving the HD still empty. I have just installed an email programme and, once again, it has gone into C.- I wasn't able to select which drive to use
Do I have to create a second set of base folders on the HD (I just do not want for instance all my emails going to the SSD)- or should I try and load new programmes directly on to the HD- thus creating another folder on it.
I'm beginning to wish I had never heard of SSDs.
Can anyone please tell me how to achieve what I want to do?
Charles Seppings

magnaton

Re: Using the SSD v other hard drive

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 11:51 pm

Hey Charles:

If you review p.19 of the 4.2.1 Installation Guide, you'll see how to install HW across 2 separate drives. Choose the Custom install where you can specify which drive gets what part of HW. I think you will have to reinstall HW again in order for it to correctly configure this divided setup.

I have a the identical config as yours 500GB SSD, 2TB DASD with Windows on the SSD. This allows the fastest computer boot time to HW startup as possible.

All my .wav and MIDI files recorded in HW, PDF music scores, demo organs with the .gz extension, HW backups or anything else, all goes to the large 2TB hardrive (drive d:\).

Danny B.

mdyde

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 3:54 am

Hello Charles,

[Topic moved here.]

To add to Danny's reply:

Yes -- you would need to run the Hauptwerk installer again and select the 'custom' option. In your situation (512 GB SSD as C: drive, with 2 TB hard-drive as D: drive) and referring to the 'Planning installation sections' section in the Hauptwerk user guide (pages 18-19 in the current v4.2.1 version), I would recommend leaving all Hauptwerk locations set at their current defaults (on the C: drive) in the installer, except for the 'Sample sets and components' folder, for which you would change the locations from 'C:\Hauptwerk' (its current default) to exactly 'D:\Hauptwerk'. Then complete the re-installation and the installer will move the necessary parts of the installation accordingly.

kkiiwwii wrote:(I just do not want for instance all my emails going to the SSD)- or should I try and load new programmes directly on to the HD- thus creating another folder on it.

With regard to applications other than Hauptwerk (such as your email application), if you want them to be installed on your hard-drive (D: drive) then, as with Hauptwerk, you would normally need to choose a 'custom' option (or some similar name) in their installers, to select where you'd like them to install. For example, you could create a folder named 'Programs' on your D: drive, and then put all applications you install subsequently within that folder (via the relevant options in their installers). Make sure that you install each application into a uniquely-named sub-folder of that 'D:\Programs' folder, so that files from one applications to overwrite or interfere with those from another.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

kkiiwwii

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 7:10 am

Thankds Danny and Martin. I suppose I thought the manual would not have dealt with that subject. Will read and then do what you are telling me. Maybe I must uninstall and reinstall the email programme Thunderbird as I certainly do not want emails on the SSD. I hadn't realized that one could create another programme folder apart from the two that microsoft always uses.
Charles

HeAu

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 11:19 am

Maybe it would not be necessary to reinstall your mail programm. I don't know Thunderbird, but for example in MS Outlook it is possible to change the location of the file containing the mails afterwards.

Rgds
heau

Return to Technical support