It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:25 am

Toggle audio engine on/off via MIDI control

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

IainStinson

Toggle audio engine on/off via MIDI control

PostWed May 03, 2017 11:09 am

Is it possible to toggle the state of the audio engine (off/on) via a MIDI control? If it is can someone please direct me to where I may do this.

Many thanks.

Iain

NickNelson

Re: Toggle audio engine on/off via MIDI control

PostWed May 03, 2017 12:19 pm

Possibly, though I have only used it the other way round (ie the audio engine on/off generates MIDI o/p)

Try under:

General Settings -> Advanced MIDI Appilcations -> MIDI/Key triggers .... ->Misc state output:audio active

Nick

mdyde

PostWed May 03, 2017 12:57 pm

Hello Iain,

It isn't possible to stop or start audio/MIDI from a MIDI control, I'm afraid (on the basis that if you stopped audio/MIDI then the MIDI drivers would no longer be running, so you Hauptwerk wouldn't then receive any MIDI messages to start it again).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostWed May 03, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks Martin.

Could you consider providing a separate control to turn the audio function of the "engine" on/off which could be assigned to a midi input? I'm not sure why the two controls (midi and audio) are linked (there is probably a good reason but its not obvious).

I want to be able to silence the organ (including blower sounds) with a common control across sample set and save a bit of energy (as my amps will automatically go to sleep if there is no input). I know I could turn volume down to achieve the same effect, but it would be nice if I could do it with a single button (and not lose the volume setting).

Iain

murph

PostWed May 03, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi Iain,
depending on your sound card, you may be able to configure a midi-trigger to toggle it's mutes via it's midi port? (Or, if you are routing through a DAW, something similar could be done).

engrssc

PostWed May 03, 2017 2:18 pm

Hardware wise, you can easily create a MIDI controlled relay which can do many things.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostThu May 04, 2017 3:47 am

Hello Iain,

IainStinson wrote:Could you consider providing a separate control to turn the audio function of the "engine" on/off which could be assigned to a midi input? I'm not sure why the two controls (midi and audio) are linked (there is probably a good reason but its not obvious).

Implementing the ability in Hauptwerk to start/stop audio separately from MIDI whilst an organ is loaded would actually be a very major internal redesign, so not something that I think we'd really be able to undertake for such an uncommon requirement, I'm afraid.

IainStinson wrote:I want to be able to silence the organ (including blower sounds) with a common control across sample set and save a bit of energy (as my amps will automatically go to sleep if there is no input). I know I could turn volume down to achieve the same effect, but it would be nice if I could do it with a single button (and not lose the volume setting)

I'd suggest just using two MIDI pistons, both sending MIDI CC messages on the same MIDI port, MIDI channel and MIDI controller number, one (which you would use to un-mute the audio) sending CC value=127, and the other (which you would use to mute it) CC value=0. You could then auto-detect them together to Hauptwerk's master volume slider.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostThu May 04, 2017 5:16 am

Thanks Martin, I understand.

My pistons only generate notes on/off so I can't try your suggestion.

Iain

Return to Technical support