It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 am

Registrations resets when recording MIDI

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

soyeso

Registrations resets when recording MIDI

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 5:59 pm

Now there is another issue. With any sample set as soon as I choose to begin to record, the selected registration group disappears entirely, and what results is the organ with combination set to zero and no ranks selected. Meanwhile the recording still goes on until I stop it. I tried to record about 10 times with two different sample sets, and with the same result. If you want me to repost this as another issue, let me know and I'll do it.

profeluisegarcia

Re: Midi Ports Not Showing Mac

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 7:53 pm

Try this: a) Set the registration. b) Save it in 0, 1...c) Press record d)Press the registration number e) Play

mdyde

Re: Registrations resets when recording MIDI

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 3:18 am

Hello soyeso,

[I've split this new question off to a new forum topic, since it isn't related to the original one.]

Yes -- it's normal and intended that the registration resets when you record MIDI (but not audio). This is the relevant excerpt from the 'Recording MIDI' section of the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 134-135 in the current v4.2.1 version):

"Note that the organ always resets when you start recording or playing a MIDI file to ensure that the file always starts from the same (all-off) registration, so that all of your subsequent registration changes are recorded into the file."

Here are some previous topics discussing it in more detail:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14987&p=111809#p111809
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15197&p=113732
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15493&p=115970

mdyde wrote:Yes -- when starting recording, Hauptwerk will reset the registration if, and only if, you have the 'Arm MIDI recording' option ticked. That's done so that the MIDI file starts with a blank (all-off) registration, with your subsequent registration changes recorded into it. If you do specifically want to record a MIDI file, and to preserve your registration, then just press the 'Copy reg' button on the 'Pitch' large control panel, then the 'Paste reg' to restore it after starting recording.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

abaymajr

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Not directly related to this subject, but sometimes, when recording both audio and MIDI, timestamps of the created files become lagged in 1 second each other. This causes a little confusion when browsing/managing the recording files.

mdyde

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 3:23 am

abaymajr wrote:Not directly related to this subject, but sometimes, when recording both audio and MIDI, timestamps of the created files become lagged in 1 second each other. This causes a little confusion when browsing/managing the recording files.

Thanks. That's something I hadn't noticed before, but I can see that it could be more convenient from a user perspective if the timestamps were made to match exactly. I've logged it as an enhancement request.
Best regards, Martin.

soyeso

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 3:59 pm

I don't remember writing "MIDI"in my original post. I am not trying to record a MIDI file, but the normal wav file.
The PC works fine, but this issue is with a MAC that I am setting up again after a drive wipe. All I did was to hit record as armed option as I normally do. I have never tried to record a MIDI file.
Thanks

IainStinson

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 1:54 am

The recorder records Midi and audio depending on which you have selected by the "arm" controls. You can record Midi, Audio or both by selecting the appropriate arm buttons. Only when you arm the Midi recording does the registration clear when you start to record.

Perhaps when you set up the MAC bother Midi and audio were armed. The initial settings following installation may be to arm both Midi and audio recording. You just need to disarm the Midi recording if you only want to record audio files.

See page 132 and following in the manual.

Iain

mdyde

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 4:05 am

Hello soyeso/Iain,

Yes -- both the options to arm audio recording, and to arm MIDI recording, are ticked by default, so you just need to un-tick the MIDI one (on the 'Recorder/Player' large floating control panel).
Best regards, Martin.

soyeso

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 9:37 am

Martin,
Yes of course you are correct. The Midi option was ticked and I did not see it.
Sorry for the oversight, and thanks for your help.

Tom

mdyde

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 10:40 am

Thanks, Tom.

You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support