It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

individual keys are "hanging"

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

contrebasse80

individual keys are "hanging"

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 7:42 am

Hello,

I´m sorry for my bad english :roll:
I´ve got a problem with my hauptwerk instrument. There are 4 manuals, two electric (with normal switches) and two with hall sensors. In one manual with hall sensors there is one key, which I cannot stop sounding. When I go to the menu (right click on the manual, manually adjustment MIDI) I can choose exactly this key in the drowpdown menu. When I click on it, the key stops. But then the key is completely dead and a little time later I have the same problem.
First question: Is the hall sensor defect?
I cannot change the sensor easily (because it´s already the second time this happens)...Can I deactivate one key in this menu? So I could change the sensor another time...

Thanks a lot for your help,

Markus

mdyde

Re: individual keys are "hanging"

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 7:51 am

Hello Markus,

If one virtual key isn't working properly on a given manual, whereas the rest are working, then that's definitely a hardware issue of some kind. For example, it could be a fault in the key's sensor, or its wiring, or its MIDI encoder. I can't really help meaningfully with that, but other forum users might perhaps have relevant suggestions to help fix it.

Hauptwerk doesn't have the ability to ignore just one particular key in a manual, I'm afraid. It treats all keys equally. I can only suggest either fixing the key hardware itself, or avoiding using that particular MIDI keyboard entirely.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

rhedgebeth

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 10:36 am

Since hall effect switches are magnetically keyed it sounds like the magnet polarity is wrong, i.e. backwards, for this note. Remove the magnet and invert it. That the key is working, though wrongly, suggests that the hall effect sensor itself is good.
Richard S Hedgebeth
Westminster Organ Works
Authorized Hauptwerk reseller
http://Westminsterorganworks.com

contrebasse80

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 2:28 pm

Hello and thank you for your answers,
I´m wondering if the problem has something to do with the update I made shortly before (I use a Steinberg UR22mkII USB-Interface and I had problems for a longer time with BSODs; so I updated the firmware of the device and the USB-drivers for my win 10 machine).
Could this cause such a problem? For the USB-drivers I had to deinstall the old drivers and install the new ones. So I had to do the general settings (like for first use) again. After that I restored the system with a backup. But directly after that I had the key problem...
Wiring and polarity is ok, because it worked the whole time before (except once when this happened to another key where I changed then the hall sensor)
So it seems to be a strange thing happening directly after the updates...

Best regards,

MArkus

OrganoPleno

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 8:00 pm

mdyde wrote:Hauptwerk doesn't have the ability to ignore just one particular key in a manual, I'm afraid. It treats all keys equally.

But it can be done. Set up Hauptwerk so that it plays inside of a Host (like a VST). Set Hauptwerk to receive MIDI input through the Host only.

Then inside the Host, there should be MIDI filters available that could de-activate input (note on or note off) from the Console for any specific key (note number and MIDI Channel)... eg by translating it into something out-of-range where Hauptwerk would not respond.

Hoping this helps.

contrebasse80

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 1:12 am

Problem solved!!!
I don´t know why, but after starting pc again, the key worked properly. I switched the machine only off and did not start it again.
So I hope this problem will not appear again.

Thank you for helping.

Best regards,

Markus

mdyde

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 3:40 am

Hello Markus,

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear it's working now. I rather doubt that restarting the PC could actually have been responsible directly, since even your audio/MIDI interface hardware and drivers, and Windows itself, would treat all MIDI note numbers equally (as Hauptwerk does). If it did indeed make a difference then I think it could perhaps suggest a power supply issue to the MIDI encoder, or conceivably even some kind of electrical interference issue (but others here would be more qualified than I am to help troubleshooting the wiring electronics). Hopefully it will continue working properly now anyway, whatever the cause might have been.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support