It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:28 am

Sticking notes

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

alecs

Sticking notes

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 3:24 am

Hello everybody,
First of all i did a pretty nice search around this forum and support area before i decided to post my question here. I found out that other users have experienced something similar with my problem but not exactly my case. I have a 3M+1P from Classic Midi Works which ran smooth until a couple of weeks ago when i started experiencing hanging notes, stuck notes on 1 manual and pedalboard. I have tried all i could think of, reconfiguring another configuration of Hauptwerk from scrap, loading organs with few registers, loading dry organs, modifying the polyphony, clean up and save some hdd space, performance enhancements, reconfiguring of keyboards and with no success.
I have a MacPro version 1.1, 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 16 GB DDR2 DIMM memory, and version 4.1.1.012 of Hauptwerk. I used mainly Zwolle organ and i had no such problems until a few weeks ago ...
The problem is these episodes where notes gets stuck are random and the notes which get stuck are also random.

I would like to ask you if anybody experienced something like this and has some ideeas before i format and reinstall everything.

Thank you for your time!

Later edit: i forgot to mention audio config: Audio/MIDI: Focusrite Saffire PRO 26 and the fact that when notes are stuck i can monitory midi input via a small software and impulses are still sending, midi still working although for 3 seconds hauptwerk notes get stuck and i have to reset midi or press the same notes to "unstuck" them

mdyde

Re: Sticking notes

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 3:49 am

Hello alecs,

A stuck note means that the MIDI note-off message for the key press didn't reach your computer for some reason, almost certainly because of a MIDI hardware problem, or a problem with the MIDI interface, or a problem with some cabling, or with a power supply to the MIDI keyboard or the MIDI interface.

Please try:

- Make sure that all OS X updates are applied (via the Apple menu).

- Make sure that you have the latest version of the driver(s) installed for your MIDI/audio interface(s), checking on their manufacturers' websites.

- Download and install the current version of Hauptwerk (v4.2.1), since the version you're currently using (v4.1.1) is an obsolete version that's no longer supported. It's a free upgrade for you and has lots of improvements and fixes. The current version of Hauptwerk is always available on our main downloads page: http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/ .

- Also download and install the current version of the Hauptwerk USB key driver, which can also be found on our main downloads page ( http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/ ).

- Shut the computer down and completely remove the power to everything (including the computer, the MIDI keyboards, and the MIDI interface), to make sure everything is is fully reset.

- Check all of the MIDI, USB and power cabling for bad cables or connections.

- Make sure that there is sufficient and reliable power being supplied to the MIDI keyboards and MIDI interface (if relevant), since inadequate/unreliable power supplies often cause MIDI encoders/interfaces to misbehave.

- If the MIDI keyboards are connected to the computer via a MIDI interface (as opposed to directly, via USB) then make sure it's a good-quality/reputable model (e.g. MOTU Microlite or M-Audio MIDISPORT 4x4), with its latest driver installed, as above.

- Alternatively, if the MIDI keyboards are connected to the computer directly via USB, then make sure that they're either connected to USB ports directly on the computer and that the computer is able to supply sufficient USB bus power for all of the USB devices that are connected to it, or that they're connected via a good-quality (e.g. Belkin) *powered* (not 'bus-powered') USB 2.0 hub and that the hub's power supply is connected and working properly. Insufficient USB bus power can also cause strange behaviour.

Does that solve it?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

GrahamH

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 7:42 am

The only time I got sticking notes was due to a "wobbly" expression pedal that was sending a stream of MIDI messages even when I wasn't touching it. The computer I was using at that time could not handle the flood of MIDI messages if I played big chords rapidly.
In such a scenario, having several MIDI devices in a "daisy chain" (I believe this is the Classic MIDI works arrangement?) would magnify the problem of the wobbly expression pedal.

Graham

profeluisegarcia

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 11:50 am

Hello. I solved a similar problem using a (Belkin) powered hub, as Martin had suggested to me.
Luis

Return to Technical support