It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:25 am

Large Floating Control Panels Partially out of Screen

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

chr.schmitz

Large Floating Control Panels Partially out of Screen

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 3:44 am

I have a annoying problem. My console has 2 portrait screens with HD resolution. The default position of some large floating controls panels is partially out of screen. Unfortunately the part, which is required to move the panel is not accessible.

This screen shot shows the right monitor. Interestingly the "missing" part of the panel does not show up on the left monitor (something I would expect).

The current workaround is the use of mini controls panels instead.

BTW: The Master couplers control panel seems to be wider than 1080 pixel. It will never fit completely on a portrait screen, even if the resolution HD.

Chris
Last edited by chr.schmitz on Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

mdyde

Re: Large Floating Control Panels Partially out of Screen

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 5:22 am

Hello Chris,

Please try closing the control panel (either by right-clicking on it, or via the View menu), then re-opening it. It should then appear in its fully-default position (whereas in other cases it would remember its last position whenever an organ loads). Its default position will be relative to the top-left of the primary Hauptwerk window (the one with the main menu bar).

Does its left-hand 'handle bar' then appear on one of your monitors?

chr.schmitz wrote:Interestingly the "missing" part of the panel does not show up on the left monitor (something I would expect).

Perhaps you have a third monitor somewhere, and the left-hand portion is currently visible on that? The underlying multi-platform library that Hauptwerk uses (Qt) should always ensure that the windows get restored/positioned at a valid coordinate within your operating system's configured desktop area. How do you have your monitors laid out within the operating system?

chr.schmitz wrote:BTW: The Master couplers control panel seems to be wider than 1080 pixel. It will never fit completely on a portrait screen, even if the resolution HD

It's actually 1059 pixels wide, so it should fit on your screen (just!).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

chr.schmitz

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 5:32 am

Hallo Martin,

Please try closing the control panel (either by right-clicking on it, or via the View menu), then re-opening it. It should then appear in its fully-default position (whereas in other cases it would remember its last position whenever an organ loads). Its default position will be relative to the top-left of the primary Hauptwerk window (the one with the main menu bar).

I tried that before, but without success. Obviously it remembers this weird position. BTW: This is the default position. I have this issue with all sample sets.

Does its left-hand 'handle bar' then appear on one of your monitors?

This is what I tried to explain with "does not show up on the left monitor". Unfortunately it does not.

In the preference panel the left monitor is positioned left of the right monitor. I would expect, that the part of the window, which does not fit on the right monitor is shown on the left monitor. This is true for standard windows, but unfortunately not for the Hauptwerk control panel.

Perhaps you have a third monitor somewhere, and the left-hand portion is currently visible on that? The underlying multi-platform library that Hauptwerk uses (Qt) should always ensure that the windows get restored/positioned at a valid coordinate within your operating system's configured desktop area. How do you have your monitors laid out within the operating system?

No, only these two monitors are connected to the computer (a Mac Pro). As already said before, the left monitor is positioned left to the right monitor. I even tried to switch positions, but this did not solve this issue.

We do not have to invest too much time to solve this issue, particularly if it is an issue of my setup. However, this is strange, as my Hauptwerk computer is a "pure" as it can be. Just the operating system (since this morning 10.12.6 (16G29)), the Touch-Base drivers and the dongle driver -- nothing else!

All the best,
Chris

mdyde

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 7:26 am

Thanks, Chris.

I've just been having a look on OS X, with two screens configured so that they're arranged horizontally next to each other in OS X's System Preferences, and I can reproduce the fact that if a window is positioned such that it should overlap both screens then only the portion of it on one screen is actually visible (with the truncated remainder not visible anywhere). However, the same seems to be true for any window, and any application (even OS X's Finder), so it appears to be some kind of bizarre bug (or design decision) in OS X itself.
Best regards, Martin.

adrianw

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 7:35 am

Not a "bizarre" bug, more a useful enhancement IMHO. Always worth keeping up with what is new in new versions of OS X.

preferences/mission control/displays have separate spaces will change the behaviour back.

- Adrian.

mdyde

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 7:52 am

Thanks, Adrian.

My apologies -- that one had passed me by.
Best regards, Martin.

chr.schmitz

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 7:56 am

Adrian,

you got it right! Thank you!

Just to add to your comment: this option has to be deactivated. Obviously it is activated by default.

@Martin: The size of the pane is wider than 1080 pixel. Maybe the border of the pane added by the OS adds to your 1059 pixel width.

Again, thanks to both of you! It is always amazing how fast issues are solved in the forum.

Chris

adrianw

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 8:44 am

Pleased to help. For most purposes, I find random bits of window edging into different screens is a nuisance so the new setting is generally a plus for me, but from Martin's description it maybe breaks Qt's assumption of a single co-ordinate space.

For what it is worth, I think the large floating control panel master coupler is actually 1092 pixels wide, plus 12 for the OS X narrow sidebar.

- Adrian.

chr.schmitz

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 8:50 am

Adrian,

again, thanks a lot! I can easily live with the current situation. I use this panel mainly to connect some couplers (which are not provided by the original sample set) to free controls on my console. I do not use it routinely.

Chris

Return to Technical support