It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am

All MIDI connections suddenly gone

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

FredM

All MIDI connections suddenly gone

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 3:36 pm

Because my Hauptwerk SSD was too small I bought a larger one and built it as a third disk in the PC. With Acronis Truimage I cloned the Hauptwerk SSD to the larger SSD. After that, I had boot problems, but when I started F11 to open the Boot menu and then select the new SSD, start it. I've played for a couple of weeks now, running Hauptwerk on the new SamSung EVO 250 SSD, until today.

But today I wanted to go and to play, but when I started Hauptwerk, I got the screen that all MIDI devices had disappeared. I disconnected and reconnected all USB connections, but that did not help. However, in Device Manager everything looks healthy. No driver problems. If I selected Update driver, I received the message that the best driver is already installed. See the attachment. When I start Hauptwerk with mitigation option 1 (start with list of MIDI devices and option te disable for the moment), all MIDI devices showed to be offline.

Finally, I started the PC and started the old Hauptwerk SSD via the "F11 Bootmenu" and started Hauptwerk: nothing's going on. It just started nicely and I could play. What could have been gone wrong/corrupted on the new big Hauptwerk SSD with exact copy of the original disk? Yesterday I played successfully, shut off Hauptwerk before shutdown of PC, as always. Is there a way to repair it, or do I need to maken a clone again?

Thanks for help, Fred

mdyde

Re: All MIDI connections suddenly gone

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 3:38 am

Hello Fred,

Hauptwerk just queries the list of MIDI ports from Windows, so if Hauptwerk isn't seeing the devices then it's because Windows isn't reporting them as being present for some reason.

When you launch Hauptwerk and select the option to keep the 'missing' devices marked as off-line, on the 'General settings | MIDI ports screen' do you also see non-'off-line' entries for the devices with slightly different names (in addition to the 'off-line' entries)? If so, then the issue will be that Windows has actually renamed the devices slightly. Since the MIDI port names are the only means that an application (e.g. Hauptwerk) can identify devices, if the devices are renamed by Windows then they will appear to be different devices to Hauptwerk.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

FredM

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 6:12 am

Hello Martin,

Thanks for your fast reply. On the Dutch Hauptwerk forum I published some screenshots:

http://www.pcorgel.nl/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... 373#p31373

I tried to switch USB cables between ports, I use two powered USB-Hubs in Serial connection and tried to connection both HUBs directly to the PC.

I can make a clone of the original SSD again to the SAMSUN EVO SSD. But maybe there is a way to "re-register the MIDIports to Hauptwerk.

Kind regards, Fred

mdyde

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 7:13 am

Hello Fred,

FredM wrote:On the Dutch Hauptwerk forum I published some screenshots:

http://www.pcorgel.nl/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... 373#p31373

I can't see the images in that forum post, I'm afraid. (Perhaps they're only visible to members of that forum.)

FredM wrote:I tried to switch USB cables between ports, I use two powered USB-Hubs in Serial connection and tried to connection both HUBs directly to the PC.

Depending on the MIDI devices and their drivers (and especially if they use Windows' default USB-MIDI driver), if you change any USB connections and/or have separate identical USB-MIDI devices connected to the PC then Windows is fairly likely to rename the devices, resulting in them appearing to be different/new devices to Hauptwerk.

The best way to avoid that situation in general is just to use a single, good-quality, multi-port MIDI interface that has its own good-quality driver (i.e. not relying on Windows' default USB-MIDI driver), such as one of these:

- MOTU Microlite: http://motu.com/products/midi/lite
- MOTU Express 128: http://motu.com/products/midi/128

... with each of your MIDI keyboards/devices connected individually to separate physical MIDI ports on that multi-port interface. Everything would then be connected via separate ports on that one interface (with no direct USB connections, and with no other MIDI interfaces being used), and MOTU's MIDI driver shouldn't change the device's name, even if you connected it to different USB ports at some point in the future.

Failing that, if the MIDI port names are indeed being seen, but with new names, then you will need to auto-detect all of your MIDI settings again, unless you can persuade Windows to change the names back to their previous ones. In a previous topic in the past few months somewhere on our forum, somebody mentioned a way to get Windows to reset its database of USB connections, which might help, although I haven't had much luck searching for that topic so far.
Best regards, Martin.

FredM

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 10:19 am

Hello Martin,

My keyboards are all USB-MIDI keyboards and therefore I applied a MIDI to USB converter to have all devices as USB-MIDI devices. This has worked for more than a year. Now it suddenly doesn't work anymore, but when I boot with the "old, too small for the future" SSD with Hauptwerk, all MIDI works, even while I left the connections as is, and bit different than before. To build in the Samsung EVO SSD I had to open the PC and disconnect all cables. After building and cloning the old SSD to the new SSD, booting of either one of these SSD's were successfull and I can play organ. But now suddenly the SamSung EVO SSD got corrupted. And when disconnectin and connecting and switching cables didn't help, just restart PC and via boot menu start old SSD and Haupwerk see all MIDI devices.

Is there a way to "reset Hauptwerk", so that it re-searches for possibly renamed device drivers? Or must be re-clone the old SSD to the SamSung EVO ?

Regards, Fred

mdyde

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 10:49 am

Hello Fred,

Thanks for the update.

FredM wrote:Is there a way to "reset Hauptwerk", so that it re-searches for possibly renamed device drivers? Or must be re-clone the old SSD to the SamSung EVO ?

Hauptwerk will always see the full list of MIDI ports that Windows is reporting at the point in time that Hauptwerk launches, so if it doesn't see the devices at all (even as 'new' devices, due to their names having changed) then Windows isn't reporting the MIDI ports at all, and nothing within Hauptwerk itself would be able to rectify or affect that.

Could you confirm the answer to this one of my previous questions?:

mdyde wrote:When you launch Hauptwerk and select the option to keep the 'missing' devices marked as off-line, on the 'General settings | MIDI ports screen' do you also see non-'off-line' entries for the devices with slightly different names (in addition to the 'off-line' entries)? If so, then the issue will be that Windows has actually renamed the devices slightly. Since the MIDI port names are the only means that an application (e.g. Hauptwerk) can identify devices, if the devices are renamed by Windows then they will appear to be different devices to Hauptwerk.

That should determine whether Windows is reporting the devices as present (but renamed), or not present at all.

Also, do you have Hauptwerk set to launch automatically when the PC boots? (If so, it might be the case that Windows is launching Hauptwerk before Windows has finished loading all of the MIDI drivers.)
Best regards, Martin.

evertjan

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 11:32 am

Martin wrote:Failing that, if the MIDI port names are indeed being seen, but with new names, then you will need to auto-detect all of your MIDI settings again, unless you can persuade Windows to change the names back to their previous ones. In a previous topic in the past few months somewhere on our forum, somebody mentioned a way to get Windows to reset its database of USB connections, which might help, although I haven't had much luck searching for that topic so far.

Martin

it's usbdeview; see search.php?keywords=usbdeview&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

mdyde

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 11:42 am

Thanks, EvertJan.

This is a direct link to that post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16107&p=120996#p120996
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support