It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:22 pm

Reorganizing/expanding the Hauptwerk PC

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

FredM

Reorganizing/expanding the Hauptwerk PC

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 6:19 am

Hello,

Currently I have Hauptwerk and sample-sets all installed on a 128GB SSD with Windows 10. But becasue of the caching the SSD is 90% full. So I bought a second SSD of 250GB with the idea to clone the original disk to the new one. But that caused a lot of problems I stil haven't solved. But I though of a better solution, if that is feasible.

Can I transfer my sample-sets to the new 250 GB SSD and if yes, how is the most convenient way? Can I transfer the cache files also or remove them and change the location, so that new cache data goes also to the larger disk. Thanks for help. In the manual I read that much data can be configured to be stored on a disfferent locantion than de Hauptwerk C-drive. But that is in advance of, or during Hauptwerk install. I hope there is an easier way to change locations and transfer data.

Thanks for your help! :P

mdyde

Re: Reorganizing/expanding the Hauptwerk PC

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 6:46 am

Hello Fred,

Here's one recent topic that covers it: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16258

telemanr wrote:You don't need to uninstall anything.
Rerun the HW installer and choose Custom. You can then choose where to store certain files.
You JUST want to store the cache files on the SSD. Those are what is used when you load an organ. That's when you want speed up.

mdyde wrote:... you need to re-run the installer to move the installation as desired. The 'Planning installation locations' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 18-19 in the current v4.2.1 version) and the 'Changing installation locations' section (page 25) cover it in more detail.

Depending on the size of your new ... drive (SSD), in the 'custom' option in the installer you could either choose to put all of the installation folders on it (if it was very big), or (more commonly), you could choose just to put the 'Internal working data' and 'User data' components on it (which are the speed-critical ones) but keep the 'Sample sets and components' component (which is very large, but not particularly speed-critical) on your C: drive.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support