It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 am

Middle C is not middle C on swell manual!!

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

ChangedForever

Middle C is not middle C on swell manual!!

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 10:29 am

Well now THIS is strange!!

I had "The Exodus" cranked up on the the Laurenskerk and it sounded a little strange. I looked up at the monitor and saw Middle C was playing as D; all the way up the keyboard.... the Swell is one note above what I want to play - C is D, D is E, F is G etc etc!! So, decided stop all the thrilling music and try something; played middle C on Great and Swell; sure enough - C and D are being played together (doesn't sound too nice). Tried middle C on Swell and on Choir and Solo.... swell is still being played as D!! All other manuals are playing the correct note. Leaving OUT the Swell, all middle C's are playing the correct key.

I figured maybe I have a software issue (?) so, loaded up the Bovenkerk; same thing. Tried the basic organ that comes with Hauptwerk; Saint Anne's; same thing.....Middle C on swell is being played as D.

Is this a configuration issue where I might have "tweaked" something in the past (haven't tweaked recently)?
Do I need to reset everything somehow or just modify one setting somewhere?

Thanks,
Mark

mdyde

Re: Middle C is not middle C on swell manual!!

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 11:10 am

Hello Mark,

If Hauptwerk's transposer had accidentally been turned on then it would affect all of the virtual keyboards equally (not just one), so that can't be the problem.

Also, if you had accidentally adjusted the key-shift setting for one of the virtual keyboards within Hauptwerk then it would only affect that one particular sample set, so that almost certainly isn't the problem.

My guess would be that you have accidentally turned on a transposer function within the MIDI keyboard itself. Is that the case?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ChangedForever

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 2:17 pm

All,

I should have followed the directions I've given my own customers through the years. After listening to a speil they cleaned this dimm and reformatted the hard drive and wiped off the back panel and then listening to 20 more minutes about Aunt Jane's hemmoroids and the dog having worm problems... once the customer finally is out of breath, my first question is.... "Have you rebooted, yet?". There reply 99% of the time is "No.". After the reboot, everything is fine.

That was weird - I re-booted and all is well. Sorry guys. Thanks for the read though - hoping your week goes as well and remember to reboot before calling somebody (which I didn't - shame on me!! :shock: )

Otherwise, Hauptwerk is working FLAWLESSLY.... :D :D :D

Thanks,
Mark

mdyde

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 3:14 am

Thanks, Mark.

I don't think rebooting Hauptwerk itself could make any difference (since the only two way you could get keys transposed are the two that I mentioned, which would seem not to apply in your case), but rebooting the MIDI keyboards themselves (or conceivably the MIDI interface) might have been the relevant factor.

Anyway, glad to hear it was fixed easily!
Best regards, Martin.

Sally

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 4:02 pm

On the subject of transposers, I'm fairly new to Hauptwerk, having just purchased the software and waiting for it to arrive. Does Hauptwerk have a transposer 'knob' such as is found on Allen and Rodger organs? If not, I'll have to get real good as transposing hymns since the congregation where I play likes them brought down three half steps.

profeluisegarcia

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 8:47 pm

Sally wrote:On the subject of transposers, I'm fairly new to Hauptwerk, having just purchased the software and waiting for it to arrive. Does Hauptwerk have a transposer 'knob' such as is found on Allen and Rodger organs?

No. HW does not have a transposer "Knob", but it DOES have the transposer function... and many other possibilities we hardly will have time to explore and enjoy in our lifetime¡
Regards,
Luis

mdyde

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 3:35 am

Hello Sally,

Welcome to the forum. To add to Luis' reply, you can find Hauptwerk's transposer functions on the 'Pitch' large control panel ('View | Large floating control panels ...') when an organ is loaded. There are buttons to increment, decrement, and to zero, the transposition (in semitone steps). You can map any of them to MIDI pistons using right-click auto-detection.

The 'Pitch menu (including temperaments)' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (on the Help menu in Hauptwerk; pages 121-127 in the current v4.2.1 version) covers the functions on that control panel in more depth, including the transposer.
Best regards, Martin.

Sally

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 8:31 am

Thank you!

Return to Technical support