It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:27 am

Large floating control panels disappear

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

maestropotvin

Large floating control panels disappear

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 9:58 pm

Hello all,

For each organ I use I set my large floating control panels on a second monitor.

Unfortunately, every so often, those panels just disappear and I have to reopen them one by one and place them back where I want them.

Any idea what might be causing this issue and how to solve it?

Thank you,

Stephane

Mac OSX 10.10
Latest version of Hauptwerk

mdyde

Re: Large floating control panels disappear

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 3:29 am

Hello Stephane,

At such times, have the control panels in question actually closed? You can check via the 'View | Large floating control panels ...' sub-menu; if a control panel's name is ticked then the panel is still open somewhere (but perhaps hidden by another window, or off the edge of the desktop area that's currently visible on your two monitors).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

maestropotvin

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 8:15 am

Hi Martin.

The panels are indeed closed.

Thx

Stephane

mdyde

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 10:17 am

Thanks, Stephane.

Is it possible that you might be unintentionally closing them using keyboard short-cuts? I know of no way that they could close themselves.
Best regards, Martin.

josq

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 10:59 am

Perhaps I have a similar problem. In my case, the floating panels on the secondary touchscreen disappear to the background as soon as I touch the HW console window on the secondary screen. They appear on the foreground again when I touch the primary screen. Of course, I would like to have the floating panels on the foreground always when I use both HW console windows.

Or do you actually have a different issue?

mdyde

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 11:32 am

josq wrote:Perhaps I have a similar problem. In my case, the floating panels on the secondary touchscreen disappear to the background as soon as I touch the HW console window on the secondary screen. They appear on the foreground again when I touch the primary screen. Of course, I would like to have the floating panels on the foreground always when I use both HW console windows.

Hello josq,

The control panels all 'belong to' the main Hauptwerk console window, so clicking/touching on any of the other three console windows (or any other application's windows) will bring that window (or application) to the foreground, potentially covering the primary window and its control panels. When Hauptwerk v4.0.0 was developed, I did see whether it was possible to make the control panels always stay on top of any windows, but that caused problems in that it could become impossible to interact with other prompt windows (such as file browser windows or messages). I'll log as an enhancement request that it would be good to review for a future Hauptwerk version whether there are any new options at the time that might help in newer versions of the multi-platform library that we use.
Best regards, Martin.

maestropotvin

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi Martin,

I never use the computer keyboard as I control everything from my console.

As I am having other problems, it is possible that Hauptwerk or its preferences have become corrupted?

Thank you,

Stephane

mdyde

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 5:08 am

Hello Stephane,

Thanks for the update.

maestropotvin wrote:it is possible that Hauptwerk or its preferences have become corrupted?

I think that's extremely unlikely.

maestropotvin wrote:As I am having other problems,

Are you referring to some problems apart from the one described in this forum thread?

Also:

- When the problem arises, do *all* of the floating control panels close, or just one? Or just those that are positioned on your second monitor (the one that isn't being used for the main Hauptwerk console window)?

- Is the main Hauptwerk console window positioned on the monitor that's designated as OS X's primary monitor (the one that has the menu bar along the top of the screen)?

- Does the problem arise with a floating control panel if it's instead positioned on the same monitor as your main Hauptwerk console window?

- Does you Mac have just those two monitors? Is it a laptop, with an additional built-in monitor of its own, for example?

- Are the two monitors touch-screens?

- How do you have the monitors arranged in OS X's display preferences?

- Do you have any (or all) of the Hauptwerk virtual console windows in full-screen mode, and/or maximised?

- Do you have a Hauptwerk virtual console window positioned on the same monitor on which you have the relevant floating control panels positioned?

- If so, does its position always get restored correctly to that monitor when Hauptwerk launches?

- Do you ever change the arrangement of the monitors in OS X, or use the Mac with some of the monitors disconnected, or is there anything that might indicate that their arrangement or layout is changing unexpectedly?

- Do you have Hauptwerk set to launch automatically when the Mac boots?

maestropotvin wrote:I never use the computer keyboard as I control everything from my console.

To confirm -- you mean that you never touch the computer at all, not even when you start the computer up, or when you launch Hauptwerk, or when you load an organ, or when you shut the computer down?

How do you shut the computer down?
Best regards, Martin.

maestropotvin

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 8:45 pm

Good day MArtin,

Thanks for your message.

Please see my answers answer below indicated with A:

- Are you referring to some problems apart from the one described in this forum thread?
A: I sent you a private email with my other problem.

- When the problem arises, do *all* of the floating control panels close, or just one? Or just those that are positioned on your second monitor (the one that isn't being used for the main Hauptwerk console window)?
A: Usually only some of them. I do not remember an instance of all of them closing.
A: All my large floating panels are on the second monitor.

- Is the main Hauptwerk console window positioned on the monitor that's designated as OS X's primary monitor (the one that has the menu bar along the top of the screen)?
A: Yes, the console window is in the primary monitor.

- Does the problem arise with a floating control panel if it's instead positioned on the same monitor as your main Hauptwerk console window?
A: Because I have a small monitor I have not put those panels n the primary monitor as it blocks my view.

- Does you Mac have just those two monitors? Is it a laptop, with an additional built-in monitor of its own, for example?
A: My Mac is a Mac Pro 2010 with two monitors.

- Are the two monitors touch-screens?
A: Just regular screens

- How do you have the monitors arranged in OS X's display preferences?
A: The primary window is on the right, the second monitor immediately on the left.

- Do you have any (or all) of the Hauptwerk virtual console windows in full-screen mode, and/or maximised?
A: I do have the console window taking the entire primary screen, because I have opened several small floating panels.

- Do you have a Hauptwerk virtual console window positioned on the same monitor on which you have the relevant floating control panels positioned?
A; No, The console and large panels are on different monitors.

- If so, does its position always get restored correctly to that monitor when Hauptwerk launches?

- Do you ever change the arrangement of the monitors in OS X, or use the Mac with some of the monitors disconnected, or is there anything that might indicate that their arrangement or layout is changing unexpectedly?
A: I do not change the window arrangement, nor do I disconnect monitors, or change settings.

- Do you have Hauptwerk set to launch automatically when the Mac boots?
A: Hauptwerk launches automatically on launch and loads an organ right away.

maestropotvin wrote:I never use the computer keyboard as I control everything from my console.

To confirm -- you mean that you never touch the computer at all, not even when you start the computer up, or when you launch Hauptwerk, or when you load an organ, or when you shut the computer down?
A: I only use the mouse to assign keyboard and drawknobs on first load. After that, I use the console only.

How do you shut the computer down?
A: For that, I use the mouse to select computer shutdown in the Apple menu.

Thank you,

Stephane

mdyde

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 7:33 am

Thanks, Stephane.

To test, I set things up on a Mac closely to how you have them configured (OS X 10.10.5, two monitors, main Hauptwerk console window on the primary monitor, no other console windows open, several control panels open on the secondary monitor, with OS X set to launch Hauptwerk automatically when the Mac boots, with Hauptwerk set to load an organ when it launches, and I also tried various locations for the control panels and various ways of shutting the computer down and launching Hauptwerk).

I find that I can reproduce the issue, in that occasionally some or all control panels don't get restored to their previous open states and positions (irrespective of which monitor they're on), but only if I shut the computer down directly (or re-start it directly) from the Apple menu, without exiting Hauptwerk first. If I exit Hauptwerk first, or if I shut the computer down via the relevant entries on the File menu in Hauptwerk, then everything always appears to be restored properly when the computer next boots.

If one shuts the computer down by any means (except 'pulling the plug') OS X will always ask Hauptwerk to exit first, and then wait for it to have finished exiting, and Hauptwerk simply asks the underlying mult-platform library that we use for Hauptwerk to save the windows positions/states (including the control panels) when Hauptwerk exits. However, what I think must be happening is that if you shut the computer down via the Apple menu then occasionally (probably just chance, related to timing), OS X is shutting down some part of its display system before Hauptwerk has had a chance to query and save the window positions/states, resulting in invalid states sometimes getting stored for the control panels.

Arguably, that's an OS X bug (in that it should wait for the applications to finish exiting completely before OS X shuts down any other parts of the operating system), and it's conceivable that later OS X versions might not exhibit that behaviour. I'm not actually sure that we could really do anything about it reliably within Hauptwerk, although it's also conceivable that the later version of the multi-platform library (which we would use for a future Hauptwerk version) might also somehow behave differently.

Anyway, the solution/work-around appears simply to be always to shut the computer down via Hauptwerk's File menu (rather than the Apple menu) since in that case Hauptwerk will shut down before it asks OS X to shut down. (Alternatively you could exit Hauptwerk first and wait for it to finish closing, but that's probably less convenient.) You could also optionally assign a MIDI piston to Hauptwerk's function to shut the computer down (via the 'General settings | Advanced MIDI ... | MIDI/key triggers for loading organs and other global menu functions' screen).
Best regards, Martin.

maestropotvin

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 11:30 am

Thank you Martin for the explanation and solution.

Best,

Stéphane

mdyde

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 11:46 am

Thanks, Stéphane.

You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support