It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:36 am

Registration - How to do this?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

organplayer

Registration - How to do this?

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 10:58 am

Hello,

yes, I read the manual carefully about registration, but as a German I'm not so much familiar with all this spezialised English wording. May be my question is simple and answered in the manual, so please advise me.

This is what I have done now: I saved different combinations of stops as 1, 2, 3 etc. Works fine. I have two foot pistons for the stepper forwards and backwards. Works fine as 1 ,2 3, 4 ,,, and backwards 3,2,1. (I know I can have a lot of combinations :D )

But what I like to do: I would like to save an inividual sequence of my combinations, etc. 1, 5, 1, 3, 7 etc. etc. I would like to activate them during playing with a single foot piston which means only "next" in my individual sequence..

In addition I like to save such a sequence lets say as a file with a name like "JS Bach, Toccata A Major" ,because this is the sequence of combinations I need for this piece.

Whenever I like to play this piece I would like to open this file et voila there is the sequence of combinations I need. And this should be possible for a lot of pieces, (hopefully unlimited)

That's all :D (for now!) But how to do this?

Best regards

mdyde

Re: Registration - How to do this?

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 11:16 am

Hello organplayer,

[Topic moved here.]

Is my understanding correct that you'd like to set up a sequence of registrations stored to consecutive frames in Hauptwerk's combination stepper, but then to define a separate type of (non-linear) sequence of frame numbers, so that you would then use a single 'advance' piston to traverse the stepper frames in that non-linear sequence (instead of traversing them in standard numerical order 000, 001, 003, etc.)?

If so, Hauptwerk doesn't haven't that functionality, I'm afraid -- you would instead need to set up the stepper frames up in the order that you wanted to recall them, so that you could just use Hauptwerk's standard 'stepper frame +1' (increment) button/piston/function to traverse them in conventional order. You could certainly save the resulting set of stepper frames (actually all stepper frames) to a file (combination set) named after the relevant piece.

You could also potentially create a single combination set (file) which contained your 'master' set of stepper frames, then copy/paste them frame by frame into the desired order for each new piece, then saving the result as the combination set (file) named after the piece. For example, in your 'master' combination set (file) you could put all of your standard frames in order starting from frame number 100, then copy/paste them into the desired order one-by-by, starting at frame number 000, using the random-access buttons to jump back and forth between 100+n to 000+m for each copy/paste operation.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organplayer

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 3:11 pm

Hello Martin,

thank you very much for your detailled answer. Yes, you understand it correct what I like to do. Let me explain the background of my desire. If you play an organ a long time you figuered out lets say 50 combinations of stops (you call them frames, correct?) which sound well. For the different piece and song you have to play i.e. during worship you use an individual sequence of the some of these frames. (May be that professional organists who play hundreds of pieces on organs with a lot of stops figure out every time new frames.)

What I realy would prefer to have is a graphical interface with all my frames. For a new piece or song I would pick up the desired frames and "throw them into a container" for this piece, save them with a proper name and recall this container whenever I like to play the piece or song. Sounds not so bad? Anyway I understand that this not was HW offers me today.

I tried a different way to solve the task. There are some autokey-software around where you can save the desired keystrokes, mouse clicks etc. You can save and recall the sequence. The well known problem is that they are very slow and they expect exactly the same situation on screen as during recording. My result wasn't great. Yes it worked but ....

I will have a closer look to your last proposal of your answer (last paragrap). It doesn't sound so handy but I will try it for some pieces.

May be you or other guys have another idea? My discussion with other organists about this problem show that my wishes are not so much specific. Most of them would be very happy with an efficient solution for this common task.

evertjan

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 4:23 pm

Your can use the 60 master scoped combinations buttons for your default registrations of stops and save this as your default combination set on disk as your base.

With the copy/paste functionality you can copy one of these 60 registrations to a setzer frame. And so on.
When finished you have to save the combination set with the name of the piece (otherwise your base set is overwritten).

Next time you have to start with your default combination set as a base and do the same for another music piece.

Maybe solves this your problem.

organtechnology

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 8:46 pm

evertjan wrote:Your can use the 60 master scoped combinations buttons for your default registrations of stops and save this as your default combination set on disk as your base.

With the copy/paste functionality you can copy one of these 60 registrations to a setzer frame. And so on.
When finished you have to save the combination set with the name of the piece (otherwise your base set is overwritten).

Next time you have to start with your default combination set as a base and do the same for another music piece.

Maybe solves this your problem.

From a practical stand point this is a good solution for how to organize the Setzer to recall general pistons from a set of pre-determined pistons and store them as pages in the Hauptwerk Combination Stepper. Saving the organ combination using save combinations as xxxxx will allow the recall of all the combinations for that piece.

In asking US organists about combination steppers, I have found that the majority of them have not heard of the Setzer or combination stepper function. But they have heard of combination systems with Levels of memory and operated by thumb pistons.

So what is the difference?
The Setzer system is a string of general combinations numbered 0-x (999 in Hauptwerk) that are recalled by increment, decrement buttons for 10s & 100s so that it can be preset to jump to a specific page number when the last number of the page is pressed. This last digit is called the trigger.

The system used by several US organ manufacturers uses 'Memory Levels' with each memory level containing some or all of the pistons on the console and the data that was saved in them at that 'Level'. So each page is a level and the levels are switched by a level control knob and display.

The Hauptwerk Combination Stepper function can be used as either of these two systems. As a Setzer it has 1000 pages any of which can be accessed by presetting the 10s and 100s value with the up/dn buttons and triggered by the 0-9 trigger buttons. It takes about 17 buttons to set it up this way.

Or if you think American, it can be seen as 100 levels (0-99) with 10 pistons each or 1000 general combinations. It still requires 17 pistons to fully control the levels and the generals. I have seen a European console, sold to the US, that is arranged this way and that is the way the organist thinks about it. So as long as you have less than 10 piston pushes per level there are 99 levels that can be different combinations but the levels cannot be named.

In order to name a set of combinations for a person or song, the Save Combination As _________ needs to be used and stored on the hard drive under the chosen name. A named combination set file on the HDD contains all of the pistons, scoped pistons and setzer frames (memory levels and pistons) that were saved when the combinations were saved under the name. If the organ is to be shared, it is wise to save a combo under the organist's name so that the personal combinations can be reloaded should they be changed inadvertently.

The combination setter is a very powerrful combination storage and management system when combined with the ability to store the entire combination set under a specific name elevates it to the top of the heap.
Like everything else with Hauptwerk.

Thomas
Last edited by organtechnology on Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

mdyde

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 4:01 am

organplayer wrote:What I realy would prefer to have is a graphical interface with all my frames. For a new piece or song I would pick up the desired frames and "throw them into a container" for this piece, save them with a proper name and recall this container whenever I like to play the piece or song. Sounds not so bad? Anyway I understand that this not was HW offers me today.

Hello organplayer,

Thanks for the update.

We do hope to add a graphical editor for re-ordering/inserting/deleting stepper frames in the future. I've added your notes to that enhancement request, so they get considered at the time. In the meantime, either EvertJan's suggestion to use the scoped combinations as 'template' frames from which to copy/paste, or mine (equivalent, but using a block of higher frame numbers as the template frames) would be the options. Evertjan's idea is probably more convenient (significantly quicker to programme), so that's I would try that one.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support