It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:16 am

Voicing SP Aeolian-Skinner Extended

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Lougheed

Voicing SP Aeolian-Skinner Extended

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 1:37 pm

I need to tame some of the notes in the pedal division.

This should be easy, but apparently I'm missing something . . .

I've selected Organ Settings / Pipe & Rank Voicing.

Selected the appropriate rank, layer: Pipe Tone, Adjustment: Overall: Amplitude (dB)

But when I click on the slider for the individual note, I can't move it. The slider doesn't seem to be active.

What am I doing wrong?

josq

Re: Voicing SP Aeolian-Skinner Extended

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 1:55 pm

Yes, that should be the correct procedure. Seems improbable to me that the sample set producer would disable the voicing options.

Are you looking the correct octave? Use the scroll bar at the bottom to scroll between octaves. Pedal notes are in octave 1 and 2 (highest in octave 3).

Lougheed

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Ah, that solved it! I was in the wrong octave. I had assumed the pedal notes would be the lowest in the editor. I'm up and running now.

My wife will be pleased that certain notes will no longer rattle the dishes in the kitchen cupboards. LOL

josq

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 2:06 pm

Great! You may consider to increase the brightness with almost the same amount of dB as you decrease the amplitude. This way, you can recover the harmonics while eliminating the "booming" sound of the fundamental of that specific note.

If you ever share your HW recordings with others, take into account that different rooms will have different impact on the sound. In that case, it is better to record without voicing parameters enabled

(Martin, if you read this, what's the easiest option to do that? Use alternative configuration, or something else).

Personally I use room correction software (ARC2) to remove this kind of problems. You can find more information elsewhere on this forum.

Lougheed

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 2:55 pm

josq wrote:Great! You may consider to increase the brightness with almost the same amount of dB as you decrease the amplitude. This way, you can recover the harmonics while eliminating the "booming" sound of the fundamental of that specific note.

If you ever share your HW recordings with others, take into account that different rooms will have different impact on the sound. In that case, it is better to record without voicing parameters enabled

Those are good tips.

josq wrote:Personally I use room correction software (ARC2) to remove this kind of problems. You can find more information elsewhere on this forum.

I'm going to look into this. All of my sample sets suffer from similar issues, primarily certain notes in the pedal division. Using an ARC type solution before voicing all of the sample sets, and future sample sets may well reduce the voicing workload.

josq

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 3:03 pm

ARC is about to release a new version featuring a MEMS microphone which should be superior in reliability and stability.

There are a couple of additional options. Dirac is expensive but the software is more advanced. A relatively cheap option is to use Reaper (about $60) in combination with REW (free) and a good measurement microphone. REW and Reaper require some study though, but it's worthwile.

jharmon

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Lougheed - don't forget any adjustment you make needs to be adjusted for direct, diffuse, and rear if that is how you have loaded the Skinner. Just changing one item leaves the other two in the original setting.

Lougheed

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 7:12 pm

jharmon wrote:Lougheed - don't forget any adjustment you make needs to be adjusted for direct, diffuse, and rear if that is how you have loaded the Skinner. Just changing one item leaves the other two in the original setting.

Yes, I've been adjusting all the layers.

mdyde

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 3:45 am

josq wrote:If you ever share your HW recordings with others, take into account that different rooms will have different impact on the sound. In that case, it is better to record without voicing parameters enabled

(Martin, if you read this, what's the easiest option to do that? Use alternative configuration, or something else).

Hello josq,

If you want a different voicing (e.g. for recording) then yes -- the only way to do that currently is to use an alternative configuration.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Lougheed

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 10:12 am

josq wrote:Great! You may consider to increase the brightness with almost the same amount of dB as you decrease the amplitude. This way, you can recover the harmonics while eliminating the "booming" sound of the fundamental of that specific note.

I did some voicing this morning, and quickly realized that the best approach is to adjust amplitude and brightness. What a difference this makes!

Thanks again, for making this suggestion.

Return to Technical support