It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:20 am

Stereo to six speakers

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

maestropotvin

Stereo to six speakers

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 8:23 pm

I use a variety of sample sets. Some are wet set, some are surround.

For the surround I send front channels to my main speakers, the rear channels to rear speakers, and often will send the swell division to the third set of speakers.

However for some sample sets I would like to send the sound to all six speakers to fill the room. I can't figure out how to do it.

Setup is:
Mac Pro 2010
Main audio coming from the Mac optical digital output
Other four speakers are connected to Behringer FCA610

Thanks in advance.

mdyde

Re: Stereo to six speakers

PostSat Sep 02, 2017 5:45 am

Hello maestropotvin,

[Topic moved here.]

It isn't currently possible to have different audio settings for different organs within a single Hauptwerk configuration (although we do aim to add that functionality in the future).

[You could potentially instead use one of the 'Hauptwerk (alt config N)' configurations (desktop short-cuts) for just the organs for which you wanted different audio settings. Each configuration has entirely separate audio/MIDI settings, but they share combinations, installed organs, and some other things (covered in more depth in the 'Installation: background information: Understanding the configurations' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide -- page 18 in the current v4.2.1 version). You could copy all of your current settings to a different configuration using Hauptwerk's backup/restore mechanism, as covered in the the 'Copying your settings from one configuration to another on the same computer' section (pages 30-32).]

However, you could actually achieve what you're hoping for within a single Hauptwerk configuration (i.e. with a single set of audio settings) by some creative use of aux mix-down outputs:

- On the 'General settings | Audio output groups' screen create an additional group named something like 'All speakers'. OK the screen and OK the warning that the group is currently empty.

- On the 'General settings | Audio output' screen insert three new logical audio outputs (entries in the left-hand browse list), with:
- - 'Audio output device' set to your Behringer FCA610 (for all three of the new outputs).
- - 'Device channels L/R' set to use device channels on your Behringer FCA610 audio device (e.g. its analogue output channels 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6 respectively). (It isn't reliably possible in general to use more than one audio driver simultaneously when mixing audio or routing it in complex ways, since their devices' audio clocks and buffers would need to be synchronised perfectly.) Connect your three speaker pairs to those output channels on your audio interfaces (e.g. analogue outputs 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6), instead of to your Mac's built-in output.
- - Name the new logical audio outputs 'Speaker pair 1 aux mix-down', 'Speaker pair 2 aux mix-down' and 'Speaker pair 3 aux mix-down', or similar.
- - On the 'Routing' screen tab, set 'Output type' to 'Aux mix-down ...' (for all three of the new outputs).

- Still on the 'General settings | Audio output' screen, change each of your original three audio outputs to:
- - Use your Behringer FC610 device/driver.
- - Have 'None' selected for both their left and right device channels (so that they won't produce any sound directly).
- - On the 'Routing' tab, have the corresponding one of the 'Speaker pair N aux mix-down' selected for their 'Aux send 1 destination' settings, i.e. so that they don't produce sound directly, but instead each route it to the corresponding one of your new audio outputs, thus producing the sound indirectly.

- Still on the 'General settings | Audio output' screen, insert yet another logical audio, with:
- - 'Audio output device' set to your Behringer FCA610
- - 'Device channels L/R' both set to 'None'.
- - Name the new logical audio output 'All speakers' (or similar).
- - On the 'Routing' tab:
- - - Select your new 'All speakers' audio group the 'Audio output group' setting.
- - - Select 'Speaker pair 1 aux mix-down' for the 'Aux send 1 destination' setting.
- - - Select 'Speaker pair 2 aux mix-down' for the 'Aux send 2 destination' setting.
- - - Select 'Speaker pair 3 aux mix-down' for the 'Aux send 3 destination' setting.

- OK the screen. (You shouldn't get a warning this time, since all of the audio outputs and groups are now be set up).

- From then on, whenever you load a stereo-only organ for the first time (or via 'Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio/memory options/routing'), just select your new 'All speakers' group for all ranks, whereas for surround organs you would instead just continue to select your previous groups (which now exist in parallel).

I hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

maestropotvin

PostSat Sep 02, 2017 9:42 am

Thank you Martin for the very clear instructions.

Regards,

Stéphane

mdyde

PostSat Sep 02, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks, Stéphane. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

maestropotvin

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi Martin,

I must be missing something because I can't make it work.

What would be the best way to communicate for this?

Thank you,

Stephane

mdyde

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 3:43 am

Hello Stéphane,

Probably the best option is for you to create a diagnostic file ('Help | Create a diagnostic file') and send the result to us ( http://www.hauptwerk.com/forms/support/ or via email) and I can then go through your current audio settings to see what might need changing.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support