It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:18 am

macOS High Sierra: Slow mounting of external disk drives

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

chr.schmitz

macOS High Sierra: Slow mounting of external disk drives

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 3:36 am

After updating to macOS High Sierra I have a tiny, but annoying issue.

External APFS formatted hard drives are obviously mounted a little bit slower than HFS+ formatted drives.

When I shut down my computer using the HW Shutdown command (connected to a thumb piston), HW always restarts after the next boot, even if the shutdown option 'Reopen windows when logging back in' is deactivated. This behaviour was great, as thus my console almost worked like an embedded system.

Under macOS High Sierra the external hard drive hosting the sample sets is obviously not yet mounted when HW starts up. I receive an error message, that this folder is missing. However, after I clicking OK, I can start HW manually without any issues.

Is it possible to prevent the restart of HW after reboot and after shutting down with the HW command? If I could start HW manually using a script, I could add a short delay.

Thanks in advance for any tip!

Best,
Chris

mdyde

Re: macOS High Sierra: Slow mounting of external disk drives

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 3:54 am

Hello Chris,

Hauptwerk will never actually start itself automatically after the computer boots on the Mac platform; if that's happening then you must actually have configured that yourself, e.g. by right-clicking on it in the Dock and selecting macOS's option to start the application automatically. Hence you probably just need to un-tick that option.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

chr.schmitz

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Hello Martin,

Thank you for the fast response -- as always :D

I tested this behaviour on another machine. It is the same.

The option you mentioned is not ticked. HW is also not started from the macOS preferences.

It is even a little bit weirder: when I quit HW and shut down the computer from the finder, HW does not start, but when I shut down the computer from the HW menu, HW starts next time automatically.

Best,
Chris

jkinkennon

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 2:13 pm

I wonder if the option to reopen applications that appears when logging out might be ticked. The check would be to begin to log out and then observe whether the box is ticked. At that point it is possible to cancel the login if desired.

If the box were ticked HW wouldn't normally start by itself as it would be closed prior to logout or shutdown. Perhaps with the auto shutdown HW is considered open for some reason. Could be a timing issue, a bug, or a feature I suppose.

chr.schmitz

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 2:17 pm

No, the option to reopen windows after logging back is disabled.

The problem is that I cannot test this behaviour with another program, as I am not aware of a program (apart from the Finder), which offers this option.

Chris

jkinkennon

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 2:31 pm

I just verified the same behavior with the final pre-release beta version 9 and am now loading the public beta version that is the latest High Sierra version available. I'd say it is a bug but don't know if it might have something to do with Qt rather than the macOS at this point.

chr.schmitz

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 2:33 pm

I had the same behaviour also under macOS Sierra. But as I did not have the mounting issue of my external HD, it did not bother me.

Chris

mdyde

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 3:25 am

I've done some testing with it too now, and I can also reproduce it, although it's rather strange and I'm fairly sure it's a bug in macOS (or conceivably an intended change on Apple's part, but which contains a bug):

- If you restart the Mac via Apple's system (Apple) menu then macOS correctly takes account of the user option whether to re-launch currently-open applications.

- If you restart the Mac programmatically (by sending a 'kAERestart' Apple system event to macOS, as Apple's developer documentation recommends, which is *exactly* what Hauptwerk does: https://developer.apple.com/library/content/qa/qa1134/_index.html ), then macOS seems always to re-launch (at least some of the) currently-open applications, regardless of the user option.

- However, it seems a bit erratic, in that if you have several applications/windows open and then re-start macOS programmatically, then macOS reopens some of the applications/windows after booting, but sometimes not all. For example, I opened a Finder window and Hauptwerk, then re-started the Mac from Hauptwerk, and after rebooting macOS re-opened the Finder window but not Hauptwerk. However, if the Finder window wasn't open then it always seemed to re-launch Hauptwerk. This in particular makes me think it's a bug in macOS (or a change that was intended but actually contains a bug).
Best regards, Martin.

chr.schmitz

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 8:02 am

Hello Martin,

I can confirm your additional findings. The document you reference is almost 10 years old. There is a pretty big chance that things may have changed in the meantime.

The solution could be so easy: just connect a thumb piston with the macOS shutdown command (Apple - Alt - Shut down). Unfortunately, this is not possible without third-party software. This installation of additional software for just this task seems to be an overkill.

Let's hope that the primary issue (slow mounting) will be solved in the near future!

Thanks again to everybody looking into this issue!
Chris
Last edited by chr.schmitz on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

chr.schmitz

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 8:44 am

BTW: I filed a bug report...

mdyde

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 9:08 am

Thanks, Chris. Much appreciated. Hopefully Apple will address it.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support