It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:20 am

How to install Hauptwerk with cache files only on SSD

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

sipirc

How to install Hauptwerk with cache files only on SSD

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Hello All, about to install Hauptwerk on a new workstation. Some have mentioned passingly in various places how to install cache files on SSD and organ libraries on HDD. However, there is no post with detailed instructions anywhere I have looked.
Could someone give me instructions on how to do this, please? It might benefit other interested users on this site, too...Thank you in advance!
The specs:
1 Toshiba 4TB 7200RPM HDD (Drive F:)
1 Samsung 960 EVO 250 M.2 SSD (Drive C:)
1 Intel Core i9 7900X Ten core LGA 2066 3.3GHz CPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS
128GB RAM - Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) CMK32GX4M2A2400C14 DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM Black
ASRock X299 Taichi ATX Motherboard
1 Gigabyte GeForce GT 730 Silent 2GB Video Card
2 x ViewSonic TD2220 21.5" Full HD LED Backlit Dual Point Optical Touch Display.
1 Skymaster PCI-E IEEE 1394 Firewire Card.
(No RAID)

Regards,
Greg
Last edited by sipirc on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

Re: How to install Hauptwerk with cache files only on SSD

PostSat Oct 07, 2017 3:35 am

Hello Greg,

[Topic moved here.]

A very impressive computer specification indeed!

Here's one recent topic that covers how to move Hauptwerk's cache files to a separate drive (SSD), although the same applies when installing afresh, i.e. you just need to choose the relevant paths via the 'Custom' option in the Hauptwerk installer: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16258

telemanr wrote:You don't need to uninstall anything.
Rerun the HW installer and choose Custom. You can then choose where to store certain files.
You JUST want to store the cache files on the SSD. Those are what is used when you load an organ. That's when you want speed up.

mdyde wrote:... you need to re-run the installer to move the installation as desired. The 'Planning installation locations' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 18-19 in the current v4.2.1 version) and the 'Changing installation locations' section (page 25) cover it in more detail.

Depending on the size of your new ... drive (SSD), in the 'custom' option in the installer you could either choose to put all of the installation folders on it (if it was very big), or (more commonly), you could choose just to put the 'Internal working data' and 'User data' components on it (which are the speed-critical ones) but keep the 'Sample sets and components' component (which is very large, but not particularly speed-critical) on your C: drive.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

NickNelson

PostSat Oct 07, 2017 3:37 am

sipirc wrote:However, there is no post with detailed instructions anywhere I have looked.

Possibly because the information is in the HW user guide.

You need to do a 'custom' install where the locations of the different kinds of files can be specified.

Nick

sipirc

PostSat Oct 07, 2017 4:23 am

Dear Martin and Nick,

Thank you both very much for your responses. Indeed, my SSD is relatively small (the EVO 960, actually), with about 232GB, 143GB of which I can actually use.

I forgot to mention this to the ones who actually custom built the workstation but is it a problem if the big 3.63TB HDD is not the C: but the F: drive? My last Hauptwerk installation was done by a friend and Hauptwerk was running seamlessly on a drive other than C: actually (1TB in that case).

Is this a problem (in which case I may have to take it back to the guys who built it...) or the “New volume” F drive could take Hauptwerk and the organ libraries?

Thanks again,

Regards,
Greg

mdyde

PostSat Oct 07, 2017 5:05 am

Hello Greg,

sipirc wrote:Is this a problem (in which case I may have to take it back to the guys who built it...) or the “New volume” F drive could take Hauptwerk and the organ libraries?

That's no problem. Just make sure you select the 'Custom' option in the installer, and select F:\Hauptwerk (or similar) for all of the installation location options, except for the 'Internal working data' option (=sample set caches), for which you should select [SSD]:\Hauptwerk (or similar, where '[SSD]' is the drive letter of your SSD drive).

The 'Planning installation locations' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 18-19 in the current v4.2.1 version) covers the available options, and what gets installed where.
Best regards, Martin.

sipirc

PostSat Oct 07, 2017 9:00 am

Hello Martin,

No worries, many thanks, again!

Regards,
Greg

sipirc

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 9:57 am

Well, the installation has been successful but I had to reinstall Hauptwerk twice. Assigning InternalWorkingData to the small SSD drive did not help much. In fact, I got a warning message that there was limited space remaining for the download of St Anne’s Moseley (which meant the small SSD drive was taking most of the installation data), so I have reinstalled Hauptwerk with most directories assigned to the large F:\ library.
No storage limit message sent afterwards.
However: when setting the default organ keyboards, interestingly, the pedalboard started shifting the notes up an octave by default. The only way to be able to render the entire pedalboard playable was to get into “Organ settings” and shift the Pedal division up an octave. Strange...especially as no such trouble with either of the manuals. MIDI Learn was also fine with setting expression pedals.
Best,
Greg

mdyde

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 10:15 am

Hello Greg,

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear you do now have it installed successfully.

sipirc wrote:However: when setting the default organ keyboards, interestingly, the pedalboard started shifting the notes up an octave by default. The only way to be able to render the entire pedalboard playable was to get into “Organ settings” and shift the Pedal division up an octave. Strange...especially as no such trouble with either of the manuals.

Make sure that your MIDI keyboard doesn't have a transposer turned on within its hardware. Also, when auto-detecting, make sure that you play (at least) the very highest and very lowest keys on the MIDI keyboard. No transposition should then be needed within Hauptwerk.
Best regards, Martin.

sipirc

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 2:30 pm

Hello Martin,

Thank you. I did set the two extreme notes, as usual, on the pedals but I can check the transposer. I did not run the CMK disk again for this workstation but apparently this is not needed, either as the rest of the divisions work fine, within the desired default range. Would it be necessary, if this transposer function is not turned on eventually, to set the integer values on the pedalboard separately?

Another thing I have forgotten to mention - the CPU meter “lashes out” randomly on the Audio/MIDI/performance panel, without anything being touched. It intermittently goes into the yellow and red area of the meter. I have changed the polyphony setting but with such a relatively small instrument as St Anne’s with limited requirements, what could be the cause of this? (Sound card is RME FF800.) I was suspecting the paging settings of virtual memory, initially, with the “automatically manage paging size for all drives” that need to be changed at the initial (re)installation...

Thanks again,
Greg

NickNelson

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 2:50 pm

sipirc wrote:- the CPU meter “lashes out” randomly on the Audio/MIDI/performance panel, without anything being touched. It intermittently goes into the yellow and red area of the meter.

I have this too, since my new (HW only) computer came with windows 10. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to cause any problems though it does bother me as I don't know what causes it.

Nick

sipirc

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks Nick - it has resulted in some random pops with the sound card for me, so not altogether harmless.Yet to see how larger sample sets loaded would be affected...

mdyde

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 4:05 am

sipirc wrote:Thank you. I did set the two extreme notes, as usual, on the pedals but I can check the transposer. I did not run the CMK disk again for this workstation but apparently this is not needed, either as the rest of the divisions work fine, within the desired default range. Would it be necessary, if this transposer function is not turned on eventually, to set the integer values on the pedalboard separately?

Hello Greg,

Provided that the transposer isn't turned on within the hardware (and that the highest and lowest notes are played when auto-detecting), then any standard MIDI keyboard/pedalboard (such as those from Classic MIDI Works) should play Hauptwerk at the correct pitch, with no additional settings needing to be adjusted from their defaults within Hauptwerk. (The key-shift setting in Hauptwerk is really only there/needed for people who have wired their own do-it-yourself MIDI keyboards using unconventional MIDI note numbers on MIDI encoders.)

I think you must just accidentally have turned the transposer on within your CMK hardware. Its user guide will cover how to change that.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 4:13 am

sipirc wrote:Another thing I have forgotten to mention - the CPU meter “lashes out” randomly on the Audio/MIDI/performance panel, without anything being touched. It intermittently goes into the yellow and red area of the meter. I have changed the polyphony setting but with such a relatively small instrument as St Anne’s with limited requirements, what could be the cause of this? (Sound card is RME FF800.) I was suspecting the paging settings of virtual memory, initially, with the “automatically manage paging size for all drives” that need to be changed at the initial (re)installation...
Thanks Nick - it has resulted in some random pops with the sound card for me, so not altogether harmless.Yet to see how larger sample sets loaded would be affected...

NickNelson wrote:I have this too, since my new (HW only) computer came with windows 10. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to cause any problems though it does bother me as I don't know what causes it.

Hello Greg/Nick,

Hauptwerk's audio-CPU meter specifically shows how close the system is to an audio glitch occurring with the audio driver that's being used.

If Hauptwerk's audio-CPU meter is going into, or nearly into, the red when few or no pipes are sounding then it indicates that the audio driver/host is calling Hauptwerk too late for Hauptwerk to have enough time left to calculate the audio before the hardware needs to play it (i.e. resulting in a 'buffer under-run'), either because the audio driver isn't performing properly, or because the PC is having underlying hardware/driver timing issues (e.g. DPC latency). The following utilities should help to identify whether the latter is the issue, i.e. whether the PC and its drivers are performing sufficiently well to support real-time low-latency audio reliably:

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

(Leave them running for a while. The second of them, DPCLat might not be fully accurate on Windows 10, but it still seems broadly to work.)

There are also some documents with more suggestions for troubleshooting PC audio problems here:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/Tutorials/WindowsOptimizationsAndDiagnostics.pdf
https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/

If needed, there's a gentleman called Francois Ratte ( http://www.hauptwerkconsultant.com/ ) who provides one-to-one remote assistance services to Hauptwerk users to help troubleshoot and resolve PC issues on a consultancy basis. He's very helpful and knowledgeable.
Best regards, Martin.

sipirc

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 10:18 am

Hello Martin,

Many thanks, again for this reply and instructions. I did check that no other application was running in the background, either and that the computer was offline.

These links may help sort out this issue. I know Francois Ratte has been wonderfully helpful when called, too.

Best wishes,
Greg

mdyde

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks, Greg.

Hope you manage to resolve it reasonably easily.
Best regards, Martin.
Next

Return to Technical support