It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:20 am

Lost MIDI/Trigger settings

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

abaymajr

Lost MIDI/Trigger settings

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 7:20 am

I did a complete OS reinstall yesterday and after copying a backup of 'HauptwerkUserData' folder back to its install location, Hauptwerk did not recover any MIDI/Trigger settings, which are in my case extensive and very complex. There was no change in MIDI devices nor in their names. The problem occurred only with 0 config. 1 and 2 configs are ok. Before going on into this strenuous task again, is it possible to recover, extract or print MIDI/Trigger settings from the old 'Config0-OrganSettings' files?

mdyde

Re: Lost MIDI/Trigger settings

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 7:38 am

Hello abaymajr,

The correct and (only) supported way to get your settings back after re-installing is to use Hauptwerk's native backup/restore functionality ('File | Backup ...' beforehand, then 'File | Restore ...' afterwards). It exists for that purpose. Provided that your MIDI devices names genuinely haven't changed (and that the computer's operating system isn't now reporting them in a different order, in the specific case that you have several identical MIDI devices with their drivers all reporting exactly the same names), then doing so will ensure that your previous MIDI setting are present and working again.

Trying to 'hack' installations by copying files/folders manually is definitely not supported.

Did you make such a backup, using 'File | Backup ...' in Hauptwerk, before wiping the computer?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 8:00 am

P.S. If you do have such a backup, please first use 'File | Restore ...' to restore it.

Does that solve it? If not, please send us both the backup file itself, and also a (new) diagnostic file. We will then be able to see exactly why any settings have have been lost or changed.
Best regards, Martin.

abaymajr

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 8:24 pm

mdyde wrote:Hello abaymajr,

The correct and (only) supported way to get your settings back after re-installing is to use Hauptwerk's native backup/restore functionality ('File | Backup ...' beforehand, then 'File | Restore ...' afterwards). It exists for that purpose. Provided that your MIDI devices names genuinely haven't changed (and that the computer's operating system isn't now reporting them in a different order, in the specific case that you have several identical MIDI devices with their drivers all reporting exactly the same names), then doing so will ensure that your previous MIDI setting are present and working again.

Trying to 'hack' installations by copying files/folders manually is definitely not supported.

Did you make such a backup, using 'File | Backup ...' in Hauptwerk, before wiping the computer?

Thanks, Martin, for your kind and prompt reply. Please, don't take me wrong. My intention was not to hack the amazing and efficient way Hauptwerk works, nor to simply ignore the builtin backup feature. Backing the entire 'HauptwerkUserData' folder up is an automatic backup solution using Google Drive. I put this folder into GDrive and create a symbolic-link folder into the Hauptwerk one. So I always have an instantaneous backup of every pertinent data. Also, I have been using this backup alternative for two years without any problems among the other 3 or 4 times I wiped the hdd out. Second to what I have investigated, the problem was that I put the backup folder back to its position too early and the wizard configuration wrote new data upon it. To aggravate the problem, I was not able to recover 'Config.Config_Hauptwerk_xml'. Rather, I was turning things worse while Google was trying to recover the lasted version. Fortunately, the complex translators between the organ' buttons and Hauptwerk was, in fact, much less time/brain- consuming to recover than I initially thought: I was able to recover data through the simple MIDI/Trigger settings.

Lesson learned from this episode. Do not rely on an unique backup nor in past experiences.

mdyde

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 3:19 am

Hello abaymajr,

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear you got it working again without too much difficulty.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support